The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-29-2015 01:19 AM
71 123
tools
    So after panoramas and typography is gone, Microsoft obviously want its OS to appeal to Android and iOS devs nad except the start screen with BIG ICONS (still called tiles), that are sometimes live and in motion and sometimes not, but mostly uninformative now theres this picture of OneNote

http://officeblogswest.blob.core.win...UI_900x530.png

So hamburgers left aside, now there are also these floating circular buttons in the lower right corner (the + button). Now my question is why should anyone consider buying a WP when it is nothing more than iOS or Android? In terms of performance.. well Loading/Resuming? In terms of design, obviously nothing new. And in terms of apps.. I won't even bring that on.

(If you try to put Cortana as an advantage over Siri or GNow, ok it maybe better, but seriously.. who actually uses these personal assistant bullsh*t?? No one ever talks or yells like an moron to his phone..)
    01-26-2015 01:16 AM
    Now my question is why should anyone consider buying a WP when it is nothing more than iOS or Android
    Now my question is why should anyone consider buying an iOS or Android when it is nothing more than a WP.
    01-26-2015 01:27 AM
    I agree with you to some extent. I don't really see where Microsoft's modern theme is going to. Modern style *was* an interesting distinguishable style of Windows Phone, that was supposed to be blessed by the likes of PC and mobile consumers worldwide. But despite all hopes and efforts, Windows 8/8.1 (note that I'm not talking about the phone segment here), didn't see much excitement among its users to upgrade (it helped in other fields, though!). That's a fact. In addition to that, its difficulty in usability faced by desktop users who adopted it didn't seem to please them much. However, that's the story with the PC/tablet versions and its understandable why they're making Windows 10 more 'desktop-friendly' with overhauled UI in the next update.

But, I don't understand why Microsoft is slowly killing the Panoramic / Hubs UI from its phone branch. Is it difficult for developers to build apps based on the UI? Or the unique style is nothing more than an alienated concept that people don't like? First, they killed that awesome Photos hub from WP8.0 in WP8.1. Same with the games hub. And then the People's hub. Now OneDrive (by the return of Hamburger menu and the design of the app itself that was protested by users to be changed back), new settings page in Windows 10 for phones...... Wait, there are more that needn't to be mentioned here. I don't want to but say, WP's 'uniqueness' in UI is slowly being killed in favor of what the other two OSes have been using already (Maybe to please developers?). You can deny, of course. But it's a fact.

(If you try to put Cortana as an advantage over Siri or GNow, ok it maybe better, but seriously.. who actually uses these personal assistant bullsh*t?? No one ever talks or yells like an moron to his phone..)
    Seriously? Come on! There used to be a time when these virtual personal assistants were nothing more than a show-piece / gimmick to your friends. But time has changed significantly. If you ain't using Cortana, trust me, you're missing a lot of things and probably doing some unnecessary hard work on your phone, which if done by Cortana could save you more time.
    Last edited by Gautam Kabiraj; 01-27-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    luisfarelo and Kram Sacul like this.
    01-26-2015 02:04 AM
    Live Tiles. This is now the only thing that makes Windows Phone unique...
    01-26-2015 02:12 AM
    I think the Panoramas will still be there, but they will not be as 'obvious' as they were. The hamburger button is the new trend for Microsoft...
    anon(8150199) likes this.
    01-26-2015 02:16 AM
    Wait a few months when the preview builts are more mature and then we will see where the modern UI goes. I think its still early to judge, but use your concern on a more creative way (use the uservoice to change things, MSFT now listen to us).

About the hamburgers that are everywhere, they are useful, but I know that we don't like them. We should ask them to change the icon to something different, that way we have the usability and one android thing less.
    anon(8150199) likes this.
    01-26-2015 02:31 AM
    Now my question is why should anyone consider buying an iOS or Android when it is nothing more than a WP.
    Android: Simply because it is more functional, feature friendly and yes it is fast without resuming. And yes I'm a WP supporter but I'm not going to be biased about it.
    techiez, Akuji_ism and FinancialP like this.
    01-26-2015 02:37 AM
    Live Tiles. This is now the only thing that makes Windows Phone unique...
    Enough for me to like it. I only wish more developers took use of Livetiles: ACTUALLY MAKING THEM LIVE !!
    01-26-2015 02:42 AM
    Anyways The ๐Ÿ” where's the top world problem? The ๐Ÿ” is simply well established icon that is known to represent app settings without even thinking about it. And it's much better than bottom action button bar than stacks onto the on-screen buttons, keyboard and so on.
    01-26-2015 02:53 AM
    Because they have more and quality apps. Also a consistent user interface. Don't show loading and resuming things. Android for customizations.
    Harrie-S and sanjeet_deshwal like this.
    01-26-2015 03:05 AM
    That red bouble with plus sign in there, isn't that just a copy of Lollipop UI. What is Microsoft smoking??
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    01-26-2015 03:07 AM
    Anyways The where's the top world problem? The is simply well established icon that is known to represent app settings without even thinking about it. And it's much better than bottom action button bar than stacks onto the on-screen buttons, keyboard and so on.
    The hamburger button?
    The problem with it is that, it's barely reachable during single-handed operation. Not everyone has big hands, nor small phone displays. The issue becomes more popular with ever increased smartphone display size nowadays. That's why, I for one, still prefer the three dots ". . ." at the bottom right of the screen stack menu as found in WP8.x apps (except OneDrive).
    01-26-2015 03:37 AM
    The hamburger button?
    The problem with it is that, it's barely reachable during single-handed operation. Not everyone has big hands, nor small phone displays. The issue becomes more popular with ever increased smartphone display size nowadays. That's why, I for one, still prefer the three dots ". . ." at the bottom right of the screen stack menu as found in WP8.x apps (except OneDrive).
    Yeah I know, I know.. But it's so overreacted.. *hardly reachable* thingy, one-handed use - do you really do that, that often.

However I think there could be a way to keep the dots - which I think is better than copy the ๐Ÿ” and keep it at the bottom without making useless space like now.
    a5cent and dgr_874 like this.
    01-26-2015 03:44 AM
    Because they have more and quality apps. Also a consistent user interface. Don't show loading and resuming things. Android for customizations.
    IOS correct but you pay a hefty premium for that.

Android correct but for this customisation you get bloatware and possible viruses back.
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 01-26-2015 at 03:55 AM.
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-26-2015 03:45 AM
    IOS correct but you pay a hefty premium for that.

Android correct but for this customisation you can get viruses back.
    What virus. I don't even know how people get viruses on Android. Must install some really random apps. Anyways there is plenty of AntiVirus apps so you're safe. They find any suspicious apps and warns you what kind of permissions they have, uninstalls them immediately.
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    01-26-2015 03:57 AM
    Yeah I know, I know.. But it's so overreacted.. *hardly reachable* thingy, one-handed use - do you really do that, that often.

However I think there could be a way to keep the dots - which I think is better than copy the and keep it at the bottom without making useless space like now.
    Overreacted? Maybe. But I guess you got my point.
    If you're against the idea, please vote here :)
    Keep all the Menu/Navigation Buttons at the bottom in Windows 10 for Phones
    01-26-2015 04:06 AM
    What virus. I don't even know how people get viruses on Android. Must install some really random apps. Anyways there is plenty of AntiVirus apps so you're safe. They find any suspicious apps and warns you what kind of permissions they have, uninstalls them immediately.
    Indeed you proved my point. There are virus scanners for android. But non for windows phone because windows phone does not need them at all.
    By the way I deed not write that every android has viruses but it is possible to "get" them.
    Slovenix, aximtreo and Alexis-1991 like this.
    01-26-2015 04:21 AM
    Indeed you proved my point. There are virus scanners for android. But non for windows phone because windows phone does not need them at all.
    By the way I deed not write that every android has viruses but it is possible to "get" them.
    Yeah. But I guess that is subject to change.. You know "Hackers" follow where the crowd is.. 1 thing positive about that? WP actually being crowded ;)
    01-26-2015 04:27 AM
    Overreacted? Maybe. But I guess you got my point.
    If you're against the idea, please vote here :)
    Keep all the Menu/Navigation Buttons at the bottom in Windows 10 for Phones
    I'll vote. But to be honest I don't want buttons on any side xD The cool thing would be charm bars.. To bad they are "too complicated" to understand and not useful in every app.

Anyways I understand why they use buttons on the top. Apps are universal and people prefer buttons on the top on the PC.
    Gautam Kabiraj likes this.
    01-26-2015 04:30 AM
    Yeah. But I guess that is subject to change.. You know "Hackers" follow where the crowd is.. 1 thing positive about that? WP actually being crowded ;)
    Maybe but until now no Lumia is ever "hacked". But the point was that the advantage of an android is customization. And for customization you need an "open" OS (= "vulnerable" for viruses) and windows is a closed OS (= "not vulnerable for viruses).
    01-26-2015 04:38 AM
    Why would they have AntiVirus software if there were no viruses? Does WP have that or iOS?

I remember I searched the web for something and a link I clicked on said my system was at risk and wanted to install some antivirus software. Obviously I declined and made sure that "allow apps from unknown sources" wasn't checked. It was a new phone (Fire Phone), how could've I had gotten a virus?

Anyways, my point is there is and if I didn't know any better I would've installed that. I do my best not to install apps from devs I don't know. But there are some apps that I want or need from them, though it does scare me a bit. That doesn't really happen on WP. Not really trying to bash Android. Personally, I would be getting my apps from Amazon, unless they're not available there in which case, I'd be going to the play store.

Getting back to the subject at hand... Live Tiles seem to be the biggest differentiator for me. I'm working on getting a Note 3 ATM. But I know Live Tiles will be my most missed feature.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    01-26-2015 04:44 AM
    Metro has too many flaws, and It's one of the causes of the failure of WP and Windows 8. These changes are needed

The best moment for Metro was when WP7 was introduced at MWC, since then it has been all downhill.
    sanjeet_deshwal and Slovenix like this.
    01-26-2015 05:25 AM
    Why would they have AntiVirus software if there were no viruses? Does WP have that or iOS?

I remember I searched the web for something and a link I clicked on said my system was at risk and wanted to install some antivirus software. Obviously I declined and made sure that "allow apps from unknown sources" wasn't checked. It was a new phone (Fire Phone), how could've I had gotten a virus?

Anyways, my point is there is and if I didn't know any better I would've installed that. I do my best not to install apps from devs I don't know. But there are some apps that I want or need from them, though it does scare me a bit. That doesn't really happen on WP. Not really trying to bash Android. Personally, I would be getting my apps from Amazon, unless they're not available there in which case, I'd be going to the play store.

Getting back to the subject at hand... Live Tiles seem to be the biggest differentiator for me. I'm working on getting a Note 3 ATM. But I know Live Tiles will be my most missed feature.
    Yeah I always try to "widgetize" my screen to look like Livetiles.. But it doesn't suit there that well :)
    01-26-2015 05:40 AM
    I'll vote. But to be honest I don't want buttons on any side xD The cool thing would be charm bars.. To bad they are "too complicated" to understand and not useful in every app.

Anyways I understand why they use buttons on the top. Apps are universal and people prefer buttons on the top on the PC.

If I could, I'd love to have charms on my phone. :D
    Slovenix and SPS828 like this.
    01-26-2015 06:05 AM
    Metro has too many flaws, and It's one of the causes of the failure of WP and Windows 8. These changes are needed

The best moment for Metro was when WP7 was introduced at MWC, since then it has been all downhill.

These changes are needed...

What changes would you suggest? Don't know if I would agree with your changes but would love to see what you see as specific changes to make.
    TechFreak1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-26-2015 07:58 AM
71 123