The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Android?

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Andro

If I may add in here, from what I've seen of Windows 10 on phone so far, it's a drastic change. and I agree that it has "other" influence. As long as they keep the Live Tiles though idgaf, the big spaces and spaced out wording isn't very attractive to me.

But it's not just about you, right?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Andro

But it's not just about you, right?

No, and I was speaking only for myself.

I've seen OS's in the past go through big visual changes, and sometimes there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth. In every single one of those circumstances though, the people get over it, they get used to it, and they realize that the change was good. You can't please everybody though.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

No, and I was speaking only for myself.

I've seen OS's in the past go through big visual changes, and sometimes there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth. In every single one of those circumstances though, the people get over it, they get used to it, and they realize that the change was good. You can't please everybody though.

It is not gnashing teeth. It is stating opinion. Which I think, Microsoft should retain their design language. Just like Apple does. You remember the old Facebook app for Windows Phone, which was a bit different looking? Facebook changed that design saying they want same design across all platforms. But when iOS 7 was released, they redesigned their iPhone app to match the iOS 7 design. See, this is what happens when you stick to your own principles, be them design or something else.

Big headers are a problem, okay make headers a bit small. But tabs instead of pivots is not a good idea, and i would like to call it only copying. And again, I have said numerous times, it's not about the hamburger menu, it is about the implementation. It is difficult for one handed operations. This is a simple thing, why you all don't get it?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I think its fairly clear that Microsoft are changing the UI in order to provide one consistent experience across all devices on Windows 10. This in no way means we are going to see Microsoft abandon WP and start developing a fork of android. Nokia tried that and Microsoft shut them down as soon as they could.

I think the OP might be using wishful thinking in relations to Microsoft's recent news with Cyanogen.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft should retain their design language. Just like Apple does.

Do you not remember how much Apple changed in iOS 7?, they even changed their font. People were angry, but they like it now.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Do you not remember how much Apple changed in iOS 7?, they even changed their font. People were angry, but they like it now.

They headed in the right direction. They didn't copy anyone. But we, in the wrong direction, losing the uniqueness.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Nope. I think Microsoft is just doing such so that Android and iOS users will not be feeling overwhelmed when they will be making the switch to Windows 10...

I switched from Android. It wasn't overwhelming. It was a very pleasant surprise at how well thought out some features are. However, I do feel overwhelmed whenever I have to use an Android device. So unintuitive.

Whatever, if the uncertain redesign we've glimpsed result is Android and iOS devs porting apps to WP, then it's a price worth paying. The interface can always be gradually reverted.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

If Cyanogen caught on and had Bing and other Microsoft platforms prominently placed, that could be a substantial boost for them. After all, Cyanogen seems to be used by Android enthusiasts who like to mess with their machines; they're unlikely to pick up a Windows phone anyway.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Visa Declined, What do you think Microsoft should do with WP 10 for phone to increase their percentage of the mobile market?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Visa Declined, What do you think Microsoft should do with WP 10 for phone to increase their percentage of the mobile market?

Fill in all the holes in the store, make a mobile Spartan browser that's beautiful=everybody hates IE, build hardware that's even more unique, make it so the OS can be tweaked and changed=let handset makers personalize it, start selling devices cheaper...these things would help.

There's only so much that can be done, not having access to Google apps and services is severely hurting Window Phone. For every person here who "doesn't need those" there's a couple million that won't buy a phone without them.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site

They headed in the right direction. They didn't copy anyone. But we, in the wrong direction, losing the uniqueness.

I'm going to intervene here for a moment.

It kind of upsets me when people say that the Windows UI becomes more similar to Android/iOS, while the "flat design" of both was inspired from Windows Phone 7/8. Google/Bing "Android ICS" or "iOS 6" and you'll see what I mean. If you look for Windows Phone 7 thru 10, you don't see *that* much of a drastic change. Google introduced KitKat and changed their UI to a more simplified design that was clearly inspired by Windows Phone 7 and made it their own with "Cards". iOS played catch-up with Google Android because it suddenly looked stale and old. Then Google responded with Material Design to muscle up against iOS again.

Sure, Microsoft had some catching up to do as well in order to stay in business, but that makes sense. Essential pieces had to be implemented, like a notification center because people wanted it. They play(ed) catch-up as wel, but they didn't really loose their design language. And I'm not sure if thats positive. A lot of people were (and still are) frustrated with the lack of say, a wallpaper behind the live tiles. Or the ability for third party keyboards. Or Equalizers for their music. Not to mention decent third party apps because 8.0 was locked down so tightly, you couldn't really develop anything worthwhile. I'm glad they opened up since 8.1.

And iOS didn't retain their design language as good as you might think. That notification center wasn't there at first with the button shortcuts, Android was first. Widgets? Taken from Android. Third party keyboards and Swype? Oh my. Android inspired again. If one company made a drastic change, it was Apple with their iOS, not Microsoft. Windows 10 looks to be clean and I welcome it, since 8.1.1 was beginning to feel stale and its UI doesn't work across several devices.

And don't mistake this for a personal attack, it just worries me to see how so many people are waving their pitchforks around lately saying that WP is loosing its uniqueness.

We're STILL the only OS with Live Tiles and we're the FIRST OS to have the same system across several devices! You can argue that Android can do that as well, however that only goes for tablets and phones.

If that isn't unique on its own, I'm not sure people know what they are talking about.

And sorry for the long rant fellas. I know its great to be a critic (and complain about stuff), but I sometimes feel that a lot of you are rusted into a particular pattern where every change, be it good or bad, is unaccepted and being rejected.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

*snip*

And don't mistake this for a personal attack, it just worries me to see how so many people are waving their pitchforks around lately saying that WP is loosing its uniqueness.

We're STILL the only OS with Live Tiles and we're the FIRST OS to have the same system across several devices! You can argue that Android can do that as well, however that only goes for tablets and phones.

If that isn't unique on its own, I'm not sure people know what they are talking about.

And sorry for the long rant fellas. I know its great to be a critic (and complain about stuff), but I sometimes feel that a lot of you are rusted into a particular pattern where every change, be it good or bad, is unaccepted and being rejected.

Don't dismiss the complaints out of hand. I do see what you're saying, like having the same OS spanning from phone to PC. Of course, when MS forces something, it usually results in complaints (you'd think they would learn to just provide options at some levels).

Regarding WP -- I remember seeing the first WP7 previews. I was running my OG Droid at the time, trying out ROMs, and kernels, and managing the thing way more than I really wanted to. I also have a long appreciation of graphic design and typography. UI and UX design fascinates me. WP looked like the answer to a lot of my dreams. Right down to the little touches, done with purpose, like hiding most of status symbols unless needed. And bringing them right to left...and flying back out left to right. The Hubs. Everything about it appealed to me -- got a Trophy shortly after Verizon offered it and been hooked since.

Haven't looked a ton at 10 yet (you know, since the phone version isn't even out yet), but even 8.1 started falling away. The thing I've loved is how intuitive, easy (swipes, for example) and basically "get put of the way" the OS has been.

Seems like since the launch have seen a lot of the people responsible for it and involved departing MS. And the ones left are software engineers trying to do graphic design or UX.

A phone is not a tablet is not a hybrid is not a laptop is not a desktop. They can have similar interfaces. Same core OS. But the exact same interface? It's Windows Mobile 10.0! And not in a good way...

(Univeral app/develop once is such horsecrap. Different devices should have some tailoring done to to suit them. It makes me think of the idea behind WebOS. A lot of the modern websites adjust themselves depending on how they are being viewed. Seems like apps could be templated the same way.)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

You changed a bunch of stuff in this post, so lets try this again.

The way it was originally suppose to work, Google would continue to update AOSP, then anyone could fork that and make their own version of Android OS or use Google's version. The idea is that its all mostly equal. Over the past few years, Google has been deprecating APIs and slowly abandoning AOSP in favor of their own proprietary GMS.

Depreciating API's was a necessity, Google had to radically changed the way Android works. Google Play Services now handles all the API stuff, and it enables older versions of Android to get important updates and features...without having to worry about carriers slacking off on OS updates. This is really important, they needed to figure out a way around the carriers, so they pushed out all of their core apps to the store, and Google Play Services ties it all together, it makes older versions of Android function like a modern one.

This has made it increasingly harder for people like Amazon or CM to compete

I don't think Google is too concerned with this.

Google has also tried this (albeit with rather limited success) with Android One, where they offer pure, skinless Android. Not related to AO, but just look at how pure Androidish Samsung has become. It use to be overly skinned and touchwized to hell, but Google has been locking things down. It sorta makes sense why they would want to, but that's beside the point.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the conversation, Samsung isn't "toning down" TouchWiz because of Google locking things down. Google actually made an agreement with them, and asked them to knock it off. During some meetings that happened around the same time, Samsung and Google agreed to cross license some patents, so it's hard to say exactly what happened.

CM (and clearly many others including Microsoft) have noted this. CM is currently on 5% of Android devices and growing quickly. Their plan is to take that power away from Google and make it open.

AOSP already is open, Android running Google apps is not. There's nothing Cyanogen, or anyone else can do to make Google change what they're doing. If Cyanogen thinks they can build a more popular version of Android, without any Google apps, then I worry for their sanity.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

All we've seen of the UI so far is that they've cleaned up the chaotic settings menu and that our start screen background is no longer that weird transparency tile crap we've been doing since 8.1... unless you're one of the maniacs looking at individual apps like mail and trying to judge the OS overall by that.

That's not similar to Android at all... in fact, Android's new push to a flatter design would be more of an indication that Android's trying to mimic Windows' modern look. Windows 10 for phones is trying to look like none other than Windows 10 for the desktop.

Amit Mishra3

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Where did you get to see windows 10 UI? I searched youtube but couldn't find any video of wp10.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

From a usability standpoint...CALM DOWN and wait until the preview for phones is actually released and you use it. I use both GMail and MyMail apps on my HTC One, they both use the hidden "hamburger style" menu and I love it. I never have to tap the menu icon, as it can be swiped in from the left edge of the screen. No pivoting endlessly through headers... something I always thought Android caught flack for with its endless swiping through pages of apps.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

From a usability standpoint...CALM DOWN and wait until the preview for phones is actually released and you use it. I use both GMail and MyMail apps on my HTC One, they both use the hidden "hamburger style" menu and I love it. I never have to tap the menu icon, as it can be swiped in from the left edge of the screen. No pivoting endlessly through headers... something I always thought Android caught flack for with its endless swiping through pages of apps.

You mean like how the bottom (ellipse) menu bar is swipable from anywhere on the bottom?

Also, when the preview is released and is plain terrible, you know what will be said?

"This is the PREVIEW. Wait for the release, you can't complain about beta/preview software -- they will change it for final release."

Same things were said for 8.1 -- complain about the dialer being neutered to be a out as useful as my wife's flip phone? "derr derr you musta not installed it right you not a l33t coder like me, just wait"

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

AOSP already is open, Android running Google apps is not. There's nothing Cyanogen, or anyone else can do to make Google change what they're doing. If Cyanogen thinks they can build a more popular version of Android, without any Google apps, then I worry for their sanity.

Cyanogen needs services like Search, Location, Google Now, Drive and Hangouts. Core apps like Mail, Maps and Calendar. It seems Microsoft will provide those services and apps. Although, the most important asset is an App Store. The only good alternative for western markets is Amazon Appstore. I guess Cyanogen will make a deal with them.

So, they can build a decent alternative to Google's Android, but what's the advantage of the product? I can only think in price, if Microsoft, Amazon and other companies interested in shipping their apps and services on Cyanogen share part of their revenue with OEMs, they could subsidize the phones. In the long run, if Cyanogen and other forks capture a significant market share, Google will have to support them.

According to ABI research, 30% of the Android phones shipped in Q4 are running AOSP, but I think most of them are sold in China and Russia.
Amazon, Cyanogen and others have to expand this trend to the western markets.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/4q-2014-smartphone-os-results-145600978.html

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

No one has actually seen the W10 for phone UI yet...

<snip/>
I'd like to stop you there. Windows 10 for phones was shown off in the presentation running on live phones.

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site

The Nokia X was a project conceived by Nokia, not Microsoft. Microsoft ended the Nokia X line not long after Microsoft officially acquired Nokia's mobile division.

Have you guys noticed that iOS apps & Andorid apps are already similar? There's no need for Microsoft to have a completely different app UI style when they are a distant third. I think their reason for changing their app designs are to:

1) Make it easier for dev's to port their existing apps over to W10.
2) The new UI language is more desktop friendly than pivots, excessive spacing and oversized letters --- the lack of use of Windows 8 apps proves that. The new direction will persuade more desktop users to want use the apps. Something we all no wasn't the case with Windows 8.

I honestly think that die-hard WP users are the only one's in love with the old WP app style. iOS & Android users aren't choosing their ecosystem because of how the apps looks. It's phone features, availability of apps and the functionality of those apps --- areas that WP lacks. More advanced users may tend to like the customization capabilities of Android.

This.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo