The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Android?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Andro

"so similar"?

Live Tiles alone makes Windows Phone stand out to competing operating systems.

Material design is just Android's touch to the Metro design. iOS 7 and Lollipop both took notes and I'm completely fine with. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Andro

I think he means that's the last major thing apple had to improve their iPhone, that they've now run out of ideas.

Everyone has run out of ideas. Right now I think Apple is focusing on their health integration, Apple Pay, and making their watch work with their phones. The Android camp is stuck in a rut of pushing higher resolution screens and minor camera improvements. We're not seeing much of anything new out of anybody.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Fill in all the holes in the store, make a mobile Spartan browser that's beautiful=everybody hates IE, build hardware that's even more unique, make it so the OS can be tweaked and changed=let handset makers personalize it, start selling devices cheaper...these things would help.

There's only so much that can be done, not having access to Google apps and services is severely hurting Window Phone. For every person here who "doesn't need those" there's a couple million that won't buy a phone without them.

Fair enough. May I ask, What make you want to buy a WP?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Fair enough. May I ask, What make you want to buy a WP?

I love the OS mixed with Nokia's hardware, it's really unique. I'm really just a collector of phones though, I love all types of them, and I have quite a collection. I bought an iPhone 6 Plus yesterday just to have one.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

The UI is strikingly similar to Android, so similar that the first thing I thought of when i saw the UI was that Windows 10 has to be a transitionary placeholder before Microsoft makes the full move to their own flavor of android. Not just the hamburger menu, but everything functions like android would.... What would be the point of making an OS when it looks and functions like another major OS? wheres the "windows selling points" of Hubs and Live tiles and what not? hubs dont exist anymore, live tiles arent saving the OS and can be replicated in an android fork (plus apps like the music app no longer has a live tile that it did before), major apps are jumping ship and other major apps are left in indefinate beta (instagram)...theres no difference in UI between android and windows other than the homescreen now, and the homescreen can be replicated in android if microsoft wanted to make their own fork....Also, at the Windows 10 event, they barely touched on the phone interface and features, as if its not a priority.

Nokia X was the beginning experiments to see public sentiment. The recent investment in CyanogenMod makes me think this even more. Microsoft cares about selling services now more than selling "OSs" or even devices.

Another thing i thought of is that Microsoft can do what they did with the xbox, they can run 3 operating systems on each phone/device... Windows for the services, Android for the apps, and a hypervisor to connect both... it can be seemless and the user would never notice, especially since the UIs are melded together now. my point here is that there are ways microsoft can go about this.

The main reason i think they can move to android is for the apps of course. with all these companies jumping ship, and Microsoft continuing to invest all their resources in iOS and Android apps before windows apps, it would be interesting to see if this becomes right. Microsoft wants to sell services, so it wouldnt matter if the phone runs iOS or android, as long as youre subscribed to office and music and everything else.

Firstly This thread should be closed because ...you are making assumptions about an OS that is in Beta better yet ALPHA stage... a thread like this should be discussed after we have had a build to play with or the OS is released not based on a few minutes of video and images.

Secondly .. Windows 10 for phones looks and operates nothing like android i am using android now as well as i have used BB10, WP and played with IOS devices ...

and From using all of those OS's Android is very laggy on 1GB of ram devices because of how it keeps an instance of all apps & widgets in memory to allow for faster load times among other nuances any android user would tell you about ... so no Windows 10 does not operate like android IOS and Windows are very smooth on 1GB of ram and windows and IOS has faster notification times than Android as well. BB10 while nice and has innovate features lacks apps and the performance it should have compered to the specs Windows and IOS can run on i.e its slow on hardware like the Q10's specs ... which windows would work smooth on but on the passport BB10 flies with the best of them. They all manage memory and resources different and handle apps differently so know your OS's before making comments please.

Every one is jumping on the Flat design as Microsoft rightly Started ...
because Windows 10 for phones lacks the circle border on icons, moved the bar from the bottom of the screen to the top and apps have a decidedly more refined look with more color which users have been asking for BTW it looks like android ????

Since you seem to be an Expert on UI design please enlighten me
Hamburger menu's are GENERAL i.e android, ios, tizen, websites, web apps, apps in general, native x86 and x64 windows apps have them ... so its not an android thing its a navigational ui standard that's used by all and the three dots are the same ... just they look different.

I agree it does not fit in with windows 8.1 design language but bear in mind windows 10 is a different beast and the UI design language is still evolving so yes the UI will change as builds go along.

Microsoft's investment in CyanogenMod has nothing to do with abandoning windows ... The reason for it as because CyanogenMod wants to make android without any port of Google involved so no Google services this is Where MS comes in with Bing, built in Cortana, outlook, Office and other services tightly integrated into CyanogenMod's Google free android variant ... I.E they want to push services more or sell them.

Windows is evolving into being a Service itself and less of a revenue model .... so things like hubs and built in apps need to be made modular so they can be updated with new features and fixes independent of the OS which MS can now add new features to much faster and update on the fly as APPS and services are separated from the Core Windows Feature set .. so in that regard windows is becoming like android and ios because it makes sense and improves the quality of the OS itself.

Let me shed light on what MS would develop for Other platforms before its own ... Selling services makes money so you need to push services where the money or crowd is i.e Android and IOS that way they keep their services relevant and also use those platforms as a test bed for bugs and other issues .... things cannot be stagnant.

Honestly i like the New look but i would prefer the icons at the bottom of the screen sans the WP circle around the icons and i would like some more improvements to live tiles, how windows does sharing and Bluetooth... as well as a speed boost.

Like others and tech enthusiasts have said WP fan's are hurting the OS because you want the OS to remain the same and MS add features or go back to stuff they did with WP7 just to please you .... Things change people change Operating Systems must change and evolve also so embrace the change and let MS know what you don't like and like so the OS can grow but not stray to far ...

As far as apps falling of the Market is quite simple either Microsoft's contract expired with the vendor i.e payment to support the app stopped or just maybe the amount of Users for the APP is not high enough to justify resources i.e programmers to support the app. This is where Universal apps come into play windows on tablets and PC's have higher use base than Windows on a phone so code the app for the PC and scale the app to phone makes it better for us, that is if MS strategy for this works/
As for apps like Instagram they see not need to code for WP just like FB left the Windows app to MS to build they rather spend resources on platforms with a larger user base and i don't blame them as well as the fact windows needs more API's and features for developers to work with and windows 10 seems to be bringing this .....

for a member with only 3 posts this thread should have been closed a long time ....

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

As I said in my original post...

"No one has actually seen the W10 for phone UI yet...
A few blurry screenshots and a few Office 10 and OneDrive shots from the video presentation do not mean anything."

So... NO... we haven't seen the UI yet... A few glimpses of what MIGHT be... But that is all!!!!

Thanks for posting....
Gallery: Windows 10 for phones - Neowin
I meant this, not the video. The actual conference

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

I dont see the big issue i just turned on my 5" android device which has thick bezels and most android elements ... ie in the outlook preview thats basically acompli MS bought the icons are to the top of the screen they are easily reached by me ..
so on devices 4" to 5" may not be that bad but the 1320/30 with its 6/5.7" screen you may have to do some finger work.

the lumia 930 is very compact for a 5" coming close to the S4's level of compactness for the screen size ....

Lumia devices need 5 screen sizes 4" 4.5" 5 - 5.2" range and 5.7" max.

it seems from the images shows in the link Thanks Ebuka ... it looks like hamburgers will be every where .... but there are inconsistencies in some of the apps .... to show you how early of a build it is so we can make changes because i find the new phone app ugly mostly because of the icons and the new phone app has three main tabs History , Speed dial and voicemail which i think should change but i beleive those allow you to move through them pivot style but if no MS better fix that fast ....

i say lets wait as from those images we are in early alpha

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I dont see the big issue i just turned on my 5" android device which has thick bezels and most android elements ... ie in the outlook preview thats basically acompli MS bought the icons are to the top of the screen they are easily reached by me ..
so on devices 4" to 5" may not be that bad but the 1320/30 with its 6/5.7" screen you may have to do some finger work.

the lumia 930 is very compact for a 5" coming close to the S4's level of compactness for the screen size ....

Lumia devices need 5 screen sizes 4" 4.5" 5 - 5.2" range and 5.7" max.

it seems from the images shows in the link Thanks Ebuka ... it looks like hamburgers will be every where .... but there are inconsistencies in some of the apps .... to show you how early of a build it is so we can make changes because i find the new phone app ugly mostly because of the icons and the new phone app has three main tabs History , Speed dial and voicemail which i think should change but i beleive those allow you to move through them pivot style but if no MS better fix that fast ....

i say lets wait as from those images we are in early alpha

Actually, we don't know how far along they are. For all you know this could be the finished version and all feedback we're giving is just speaking into air

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Actually, we don't know how far along they are. For all you know this could be the finished version and all feedback we're giving is just speaking into air

nah in those images i see windows 10 UI elements and i also se Windows phone 8.1 aspects as in old icons and old stuff .... that would be highly inconsistent but we shall see

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Jesus, please, we can't talk about UI right now. It's not even beta ... please =) ...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft prepari...

I think all OS's will have similarities with each other. They've improve on each other's ideas, build new paths for familiar features, and of course that'll come with "Hey, that's like X OS right?".

I've always thought this too, and there's a good reason for it. They all tend to gravitate towards what works the best and what the customers want. This will lead them to the same place.

Every single drivable factory passenger car on the planet has a wheel in each of its 4 corners, an engine, and a steering wheel, and the foot pedals are in the same place. Who's copying who?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean it was Apple's last card.
Well... Apple's changed. They used to stick up for that 3.5in screen and outdated aspect ratio for ages... and even had their sheeple trying to say it was scientifically perfect. They were the non-evolving Timex watch in a digital age... and honestly that was something that worked well for them.

Then they backhanded those exact same sheeple by admitting 16:9 was the way to go in everything iPhone 5 and beyond.

samsung-iphone.jpg

Lather, rinse and repeat with Apple's strong stance against big phones, NFC and the shameless copy of the M7/M8 design style and we've got an Apple that's getting less and less shameless about being an imitator (even though they always have been). I'd always thought that them getting desperate enough to be such a vocal copycat meant they were getting a bit warm under the collar as they looked at the less-than-20% marketshare and noticed they're now in the same position BlackBerry RIM was in when Apple actually had the 80% domination Android has now.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Lather, rinse and repeat with Apple's strong stance against big phones, NFC and the shameless copy of the M7/M8 design style and we've got an Apple that's getting less and less shameless about being an imitator (even though they always have been). I'd always thought that them getting desperate enough to be such a vocal copycat meant they were getting a bit warm under the collar as they looked at the less-than-20% marketshare and noticed they're now in the same position BlackBerry RIM was in when Apple actually had the 80% domination Android has now.

Apple doesn't care about the copycat label, especially when it's coming from people who dislike them anyways. Their objective is to sell a ton of phones, and to make their customers happy. I'd say they've succeeded many times over.

hexafluoride

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

Regarding WP -- I remember seeing the first WP7 previews. I was running my OG Droid at the time, trying out ROMs, and kernels, and managing the thing way more than I really wanted to. I also have a long appreciation of graphic design and typography. UI and UX design fascinates me. WP looked like the answer to a lot of my dreams. Right down to the little touches, done with purpose, like hiding most of status symbols unless needed. And bringing them right to left...and flying back out left to right. The Hubs. Everything about it appealed to me -- got a Trophy shortly after Verizon offered it and been hooked since.

Haven't looked a ton at 10 yet (you know, since the phone version isn't even out yet), but even 8.1 started falling away. The thing I've loved is how intuitive, easy (swipes, for example) and basically "get put of the way" the OS has been.

Seems like since the launch have seen a lot of the people responsible for it and involved departing MS. And the ones left are software engineers trying to do graphic design or UX.

But the exact same interface? It's Windows Mobile 10.0! And not in a good way...

This, exactly.

The thing that lured me into the Windows Phone ecosystem was the very polished Metro design language.

I think these 2 screenshots are not even comparable, the new one is straight-out garbage.

evjqse.png

The pivot and panorama UI was the single key element that made the Windows Phone UI elegant in my opinion.
Now what we have is a shell of what was before.

I'm going to stick with 8.1.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

I don't know where is the design team who designed WP7. I think they would design Windows 10 for phones a lot better than this.

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

I don't know where is the design team who designed WP7. I think they would design Windows 10 for phones a lot better than this.

So you basically saying that big overlapping fonts and way too small fonts with black and white 1990's design is good! LMAO, the only thing in WP is good is live tiles, but then again it lacks customisation,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb