The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Android?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Andro

With Android apps (and IOS) coming to Windows Phone, you might as well say we are using a skinned version of google android now....

So essentially we're becoming Nokia X.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Andro

With Android apps (and IOS) coming to Windows Phone, you might as well say we are using a skinned version of google android now....

So essentially we're becoming Nokia X.

Well, no, that's a bit dramatic. Check out the demo of Continuum, for example: not only is that Windows Phone, that's Windows, in a way that WP8 never was. Android and iOS share a ton of apps, but the handsets are distinct products. I think we ought to be celebrating how good the top 3 are about to be - how great is this, that we have the choice of so many excellent systems? Ubuntu for phones is looking pretty nice as well (and despite the outsider status, it shares a notable amount of characteristics with the others).

Everyone's drawing from the same pool, adding their own ideas, and tying them up in a fitting aesthetic. There's no need to reinvent the wheel at this point, and similarities shouldn't be negatives.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site

"The "Windows 10 for phone" UI is so similar to Android - Is Microsoft preparing to move to Android?"

Please no..my battery is screaming at the mere thought. A windows phone with a 5 hour battery life..no thanks. I'm even leery of running ASOP in the background to run android apps.....I don't want android anything near my phone for fear it will murder my battery.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

I hope the Android emulator is good enough. It would be awful if developers pull their WP apps from the store to submit Android apps with bugs and performance issues.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, no, that's a bit dramatic. Check out the demo of Continuum, for example: not only is that Windows Phone, that's Windows, in a way that WP8 never was. Android and iOS share a ton of apps, but the handsets are distinct products. I think we ought to be celebrating how good the top 3 are about to be - how great is this, that we have the choice of so many excellent systems? Ubuntu for phones is looking pretty nice as well (and despite the outsider status, it shares a notable amount of characteristics with the others).

Everyone's drawing from the same pool, adding their own ideas, and tying them up in a fitting aesthetic. There's no need to reinvent the wheel at this point, and similarities shouldn't be negatives.

Drawing from the same pool breeds complacency though :) If nobody dares to reinvent the wheel then we'd be stuck with flip phones as the in thing of 2015 :p

My rationale with the Nokia X, while being half-serious, was that this is kind of similar to what they were doing with Nokia X. No google services and Microsoft services replacement with their own store. So it kind of is like an enhanced Nokia X idea just tailored to windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss