Will W10M TP be good enough for daily use?

OmerK

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm worried that it will be an early version of the OS and full of bugs and possibly brick my phone, according to the Windows 10 prerelease warnings in the Insider Program. Do you think it will be stable enough for daily use?

9112Fisher

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it will be stable enough but I'm going to install it anyway. If you are not comfortable with installing a lot of updates and maybe losing your data you should not install it.

desosav

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Updating your device with beta-preview OS is always risky.
But those who registered to Preview for devs program had no issues with the updates as far as i know.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably going to be lots of bugs and vital parts simply not there at all.

Keep NSRT and a data cable handy at all times.

Or wait a few weeks for the builds to stabilise more. But no one's going to do that. Everyone will install the first build and then complain that their phone isn't working.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm worried that it will be an early version of the OS and full of bugs and possibly brick my phone, according to the Windows 10 prerelease warnings in the Insider Program. Do you think it will be stable enough for daily use?

Groan. Seriously... You do NOT have to have it straight away. Let's wait until it's released before proclaiming doom and gloom.

P.s. I'll have it on day one and will enjoy the new features.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Probably going to be lots of bugs and vital parts simply not there at all.

Keep NSRT and a data cable handy at all times.

Or wait a few weeks for the builds to stabilise more. But no one's going to do that. Everyone will install the first build and then complain that their phone isn't working.
^ this.
I might do the same (i mean get it on the 1st day, not the complaining thing). But yes i expect many, many bugs... Hopefully i won't have major bugs that destroy you phone, but small annoying (i can handle them)

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well W10 for the PC is perfectly fine for my everyday use. It's still a little slow in some areas and some of the extra features still need to be tweaked, but it is fine for what I need and playing games isn't an issue either.

And with my experience through WP8.1 dev preview so far, I expect W10 for my phone to be just as good.

If it screws up my Lumia 930 then I'll just go through factory reset and online support to fix it.

Worst case, I still have my Lumia 925 floating around.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
W10 will be on alpha stage while wp8.1 was the "almost" finished update. So it will be different.

@ praxius Maybe install w10 in your L925 and keep the 930 😉 I think its better this way

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
W10 will be on alpha stage while wp8.1 was the "almost" finished update. So it will be different.

@ praxius Maybe install w10 in your L925 and keep the 930 😉 I think its better this way

Well the 925 is currently in the hands of my wife's cousin, but he's not exactly using it yet (haven't got around to it) so if I do need to use it, it's still available.

So my 930 will be the lab rat. Might as well test it on the best phone I have available to minimize any optimization issues.

My wife has a 1320 and her mom has a 630, both setup for dev preview of 8.1.

I usually test it out before I suggest to them to update anything.

Worst worst case, if I can't get my 925 back for whatever reason, I still have my old Lumia 800 collecting dust. :p

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Well the 925 is currently in the hands of my wife's cousin, but he's not exactly using it yet (haven't got around to it) so if I do need to use it, it's still available.

So my 930 will be the lab rat. Might as well test it on the best phone I have available to minimize any optimization issues.

My wife has a 1320 and her mom has a 630, both setup for dev preview of 8.1.

I usually test it out before I suggest to them to update anything.

Worst worst case, if I can't get my 925 back for whatever reason, I still have my old Lumia 800 collecting dust. :p

A Lumia family I see. Well you are lucky that you have a backup (good phone). If my Lumia 920 dies I will have to go back in my cracked screen 800.it works fine but it misses way many features

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I only have one device - L1520.
Knowing myself I'm probably gonna be installing it the minute it gets released.
BUT I'll try to hold myself from doing it, and wait a day or two to see if there are any fatal bugs that are really game-breaking.

I'm exposed to beta software all around, so I won't mind it, unless it's something really bad.

Also, if it's as good as the preview for desktop was, I'm gettin' that thing right away.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
A Lumia family I see. Well you are lucky that you have a backup (good phone). If my Lumia 920 dies I will have to go back in my cracked screen 800.it works fine but it misses way many features

The only physical problem with my L800 is answering and sending calls. As soon as I dial out or I pick up the call, the screen goes black as if it was put up to my ear and all buttons are disabled until the other person hangs up or I hold the power button down long enough to restart.

One of the reasons why I upgraded my contract early to the 925.

Of course a month after I got the 925, the 930 came out... SoaB! I even asked the guys at Vodafone several times when it was coming out and they said they didn't know, and I couldn't wait any longer... Then it came out. I bought an unlocked 930 a little while later. The 925 is still a great phone and takes great shots in low light, but the better hardware, better screen and the 20mp camera was too tempting.

Battery seems better too.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Not to be mean, but if you got to ask that question you SHOULDN'T be installing it on your phone.

I'm not expecting that many great changes in WP10 to take the chance anyways.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Funny how people can't be patient. This could be very nice, but we need to just relax until it is out, people use it for a while, and then we will know. If you can't be without your phone then don't take a chance until we know more.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I made the same post on the main board. I read those warnings and for all the beta's I've tested, this one made me think. I suspect I'll do it anyway because if this goes left, I can re-flash using that Nokia tool. I don't expect to need it though.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I will installed it on my 925 first, after a week of usage and see what kind of issues I encounter I will definitely installed it on my 1520 -daily use-

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention