The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-10-2015 09:38 PM
45 12
tools
    Can you link it, or maybe tell me tha name of the article?

Edit: Is it this one?
    Most Windows 10 phone complaints are about its bad user interface changes | Pocketnow
    Ding ding ding! Thanks for linking it!
    02-03-2015 12:00 PM
    I agree with TIZIANO27, but I would contend that "awkward" is a kind way of stating ergonomically backward. xandros9 kindly provided the link to the Pocketnow article (link above) that perfectly illustrates the ergonomic "awkwardness" of these UI decisions (particularly in larger screen devices). I believe this issue will be particularly acute for those users that are "one handed".
    From what you wrote, I think that you actually totally disagree with him. Tiziano27 is arguing that the placement of controls in WP7 and WP8 is what's awkward and that the placement in Windows 10 is what's expected. He is in favor of the UI change that Microsoft has shown in the previews.
    Last edited by manicottiK; 02-03-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    02-03-2015 12:36 PM
    Wow! I re-read for context again and you are correct. My apologies to the forum for the confusion. However, I still assert that universal landscape support may give some mitigation to the change. For the record, I am against the change.
    Legoboyii likes this.
    02-03-2015 03:23 PM
    -edit-

Let me also say when I pick up my wife's GS3, it's a bloated confusing mess. Launchers everywhere, multiple app drawers that do the same thing, the menus make no sense, there's no cohesion at all to it. She'll ask me to do something technical with it, and it'll take me 10 minutes of hunting and pecking strange menus and nonsensical "advanced options" before I find it. I am absolutely befuddled as to how android is so popular.
    Because it became a social trend. In this society having a 'cool phone' that everyone else have also makes you 'cool'. fortunately social trends change, and that's why OS's are supposed to change or otherwise people will get tired of it and it will stop being a trend, just a IPhone popularity started and the IPod

Don't get me wrong, Android and IOS devices are well built and well develop platform, but they haven't been that way since day one. It takes time you want it or not, such as Windows 10 is a big jump from previous Windows Os versions
    02-09-2015 07:40 AM
    WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
    Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.
    B**** please! Windows phone's metro UI is sexy! Its the only thing which made me crave for a WP. Its unique and stylish. I love the monochromatic apps. I love the simplicity. Its what makes wp different! You and the people who liked your post should go back and use their ugly mainstream android and ios.
    Legoboyii, brucexli and Kram Sacul like this.
    02-09-2015 08:36 AM
    WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
    Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.
    I guess Tiziano uses his phone upside down there...
    My thumb is always nearer to the bottom than anywhere else on the screen. All commands in the bottom is a genius UX design.

I guess Tiziano is also one of the most vocal guy in the uservoice site that wants Microsoft to implement "the hamburger"
    Kram Sacul, link68759 and brucexli like this.
    02-09-2015 08:51 AM
    I have a simple question. how do you open the action center? By swiping down with your 2nd hand. Yes you can do it with one hand but there are may dangers with that (dropping your phone l, pressing wrong things)

So what's the problem? Now you just have to use both your hands.
    You're telling me you've never been in a situation where your other hand was otherwise occupied?

It's a problem because it makes the thing harder to use. Phones have gotten bigger, which is a problem in itself (although it is nice) but it means smarter things to make it easier to use are needed. Well, OK fine, not needed, but its a nice to have.
    02-09-2015 01:58 PM
    I wouldnt be surprised if this style of menu makes it into the TP, let alone the final build.
    02-09-2015 03:19 PM
    I agree. Moving important UI elements to the top is just plain retarded.
    02-09-2015 03:21 PM
    Oh and the precision track thingy on the keyboard! That must be something.

I am SO looking forward to that- I don't really know what 10 is going to add besides poor UI changes, flac support and the keyboard joystick.

But selecting text on 8.1 is AWFUL, no other OS sucks so much at it. Actually now that I think of it this joystick probably only solves half the problem: Cursor placement not text selection... Ah well. Still can't wait to have it.
    02-09-2015 03:35 PM
    I am SO looking forward to that- I don't really know what 10 is going to add besides poor UI changes, flac support and the keyboard joystick.

But selecting text on 8.1 is AWFUL, no other OS sucks so much at it. Actually now that I think of it this joystick probably only solves half the problem: Cursor placement not text selection... Ah well. Still can't wait to have it.
    ​if that can replace mouse hover menus on internet explorer!?!? i would be the happiest man lol
    02-10-2015 01:59 AM
    I guess Tiziano uses his phone upside down there...
    My thumb is always nearer to the bottom than anywhere else on the screen. All commands in the bottom is a genius UX design.

I guess Tiziano is also one of the most vocal guy in the uservoice site that wants Microsoft to implement "the hamburger"

If he wants a humburger that much why don't he just grab a Samsung Galaxy whatever and head to MacDonalds?? :D
    bijak_riyandi likes this.
    02-10-2015 04:47 AM
    Because it became a social trend. In this society having a 'cool phone' that everyone else have also makes you 'cool'. fortunately social trends change, and that's why OS's are supposed to change or otherwise people will get tired of it and it will stop being a trend, just a IPhone popularity started and the IPod

Don't get me wrong, Android and IOS devices are well built and well develop platform, but they haven't been that way since day one. It takes time you want it or not, such as Windows 10 is a big jump from previous Windows Os versions
    Cool? So being a carbon copy of everyone else is now 'cool' is it? It always used to be that standing out from the crowd, being different and setting trends was cool. Still is in the UK. The US is getting increasingly hard to understand.
    Legoboyii and bijak_riyandi like this.
    02-10-2015 06:44 AM
    Cool? So being a carbon copy of everyone else is now 'cool' is it? It always used to be that standing out from the crowd, being different and setting trends was cool. Still is in the UK. The US is getting increasingly hard to understand.

That is the reason I bought a Windows Phone. The time I bought my 920, no one actually had a WP where I lived. That made me cool because I stood out from the croud full of Android and iOS. And all people appreciated the OS. I agree, at first it was hard for them to understand, but once I told them about the basics (well just for 10 minutes, I remember), they were all familiar with the OS.

When WP7 launched, I thought it was pretty but didn't buy one because of the sheer amount of features it lacked and ignored WP8 also fearing the same. But WP8 was very much of improvement, and one day I saw an annonymous person with a Lumia 710, a WP7, and I just could see a glimpse of the dialer and I was amazed how cool and clean and beautiful it looked compared to the Xperia that was in my hands, or a Galaxy in my friend's hand or an iPhone in another friend's. The screenshots on the screen of my PC of WP looked pretty, but seeing them on a real phone, that was a different story. I instantly fell in love with the UI, the OS, and the next day I bought Lumia 920. After I bought the phone and discoverd the other aspects of the UI, my love only increased!

It's like a heartbreak to see that UI being ripped off. It's like my girlfriend is having a plastic surgery and now she will look like a girl I hate the most after the surgery. Will I hate my girlfriend after the surgery? No!! But will I be upset because of that? A huge yes!!!
    Kram Sacul and brucexli like this.
    02-10-2015 07:07 AM
    I only want it for the changes in Office, because I don't think Office for 8.1 will ever get updated.
    02-10-2015 07:13 AM
    There is some good news at the end of this tunnel. Instead of being given finished code aka the PfD program, we're going to get a buggy, unfinished, unpolished preview of Windows 10 for phones and Microsoft will be actively seeking our feedback in an unprecedented way, unlike for previous versions.

We must use this golden opportunity to provide quality and evidence-based feedback that will give Microsoft the narrative of opinions being expressed here and other threads around what I call the "Androidification" of Windows Phone. That pocketnow article is gold and sets out the arguments very well. Now we have to articulate that through the Insider feedback mechanism across all the OS elements that betray Windows Phone's strengths.
    02-10-2015 08:05 AM
    The US is getting increasingly hard to understand.
    Well, not really a surprise there...
    You know... 'Murica
    02-10-2015 09:47 AM
    There is some good news at the end of this tunnel. Instead of being given finished code aka the PfD program, we're going to get a buggy, unfinished, unpolished preview of Windows 10 for phones and Microsoft will be actively seeking our feedback in an unprecedented way, unlike for previous versions.

We must use this golden opportunity to provide quality and evidence-based feedback that will give Microsoft the narrative of opinions being expressed here and other threads around what I call the "Androidification" of Windows Phone. That pocketnow article is gold and sets out the arguments very well. Now we have to articulate that through the Insider feedback mechanism across all the OS elements that betray Windows Phone's strengths.
    While I agree with what you said, I fear that a large number of WP10 "testers" will complain at the first opportunity rather than actually testing the OS and it's functionality and THEN providing constructive feedback. I personally think the "Windows Phone is becoming Android" talk is ridiculous. When live tiles disappear, then I'll start questioning the direction of the OS.
    02-10-2015 12:13 PM
    While I agree with what you said, I fear that a large number of WP10 "testers" will complain at the first opportunity rather than actually testing the OS and it's functionality and THEN providing constructive feedback. I personally think the "Windows Phone is becoming Android" talk is ridiculous. When live tiles disappear, then I'll start questioning the direction of the OS.

You are not getting it right. Tiles while being the biggest unique feature of Windows Phone, you should take into account that it is not the only thing that sets Windows Phone apart from Android and iOS. UI and UX is not only about app drawer or Start screen. It's about design of apps, interaction of users with the OS and overall layout of contents displayed on the screen of a phone. It was easy to understand and use till date, but with 10 it seems to be fading away.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    02-10-2015 12:52 PM
    UX/UI Guidelines for Windows Phone 8 - AfricaApps - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

These are UI guidelines for Windows Phone apps by Microsoft. I think they are not using these.
    KarmaEcrivain94 likes this.
    02-10-2015 09:38 PM
45 12