For the first time in WP history, I'm not wanting the update

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Having been a WP user and developer since HTC HD7, I have always been excited about updates. Even couldn't wait for official Denim so flashed Finland ROM on to my Hong Kong Lumia 1520. However, for the first time, the UI changes to be brought about by Windows 10 for phones is making me hesitate about this update. Using the current version of OneDrive app as an example, I struggle to understand why they think the search button at the top of the screen provides better usability. There is space on the app bar. I am OK with the hamburger menu on the top (because I don't use it at all!)
wp_ss_20150202_0001.jpg

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know man.. they just wan to do it.
They (MS) aren't all about that simplicity anymore.
It doesn't bother me that much in terms of usability.. i'll still be able to get **** done.
But it just bothers me because I don't understand it.
If you promoted your OS as a really simple one, why suddenly scrap all of that and put some BS in it?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
It is, and always has been, all about making it a very personal unique experience.

I think it still does.

Even with the background image, you can still set it as black.

Personally, I'm waiting for office, specially Outlook and OneNote.

Oh and the precision track thingy on the keyboard! That must be something.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know man.. they just wan to do it.
They (MS) aren't all about that simplicity anymore.
It doesn't bother me that much in terms of usability.. i'll still be able to get **** done.
But it just bothers me because I don't understand it.
If you promoted your OS as a really simple one, why suddenly scrap all of that and put some BS in it?

because this is what the android users have continually told microsoft to do, microsoft is just caving in to what the masses are saying so that they can make WP profitable, i dont like it, but I dont blame microsoft for it =/

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.

Cool story, bro. Guess what is going to be featured in Windows 10, your beloved tiles!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe Zune HD was praised for its design.

webOS was acclaimed for its multitasking and notifications.

etc.
The best product doesn't mean its the most successful.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Reading all this makes me wonder why you stil on windows or with microsoft.
If somebody gave me a ios or a Android phone i would also throw it away ( not really, i would sell it in order to buy a other windowsphone ).
Those arguments are al personal based.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Heard that!. My wife and son are nothing using android based phones(GS5&MOne8) probably because I've been using WP since early 2011 I'm used to the tiles. Even more so now with more detailed info from compared to just a static tile, yaaay(sarcasm). Though I was looking as the Samsung note edge if Verizon wasn't gonna carry WP anymore.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I was a Windows phone lover, is a Windows phone lover and always will be a Windows phone lover, WP is simplicity at its best, and I know android and ios may be better in certain aspects, but I support the Windows Phone OS, and believe that one day it will outperform others, good days are gonna come for WP, so those who are leaving the OS, best of luck....!😉

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
...in WP...the location of the elements is awkward.
You've made this assertion before without explaining it. Can you explain what is "awkward" about the location of elements and what you mean by "awkward?" I'm trying to understand if you mean "not like the others" or "worse that it could be."

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I feel like it won't be so bad because there are a lot of complaints on the uservoice page, and MS will realise what they did and probably fix a lot of those things people don't like.

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I would wait to play with the update myself before making a decision regarding it. And my 1520 would be the perfect candidate for that. What better device to test the usability of the top navigation bar(hamburger menu) on win phones?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You've made this assertion before without explaining it. Can you explain what is "awkward" about the location of elements and what you mean by "awkward?" I'm trying to understand if you mean "not like the others" or "worse that it could be."

They aren't where expected. Expectations are formed from usage of other computing devices, or products of competitors.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, then they are exactly where expected, at the bottom as on PCs and Windows tablets. Just where I expect them, down near the rest of the controls (such as the fixed buttons on the phone and Win button on the tablets). Why split the controls up and put some of them in unexpected places (such as at the top)? You are not being very logical.

EricMarsi

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I believe Zune HD was praised for its design.

webOS was acclaimed for its multitasking and notifications.

etc.
The best product doesn't mean its the most successful.

Oo the great days of the Zune hd, I absolutely loved that UI, that's when the UI was great

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss