The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-10-2015 09:38 PM
45 12
tools
    Having been a WP user and developer since HTC HD7, I have always been excited about updates. Even couldn't wait for official Denim so flashed Finland ROM on to my Hong Kong Lumia 1520. However, for the first time, the UI changes to be brought about by Windows 10 for phones is making me hesitate about this update. Using the current version of OneDrive app as an example, I struggle to understand why they think the search button at the top of the screen provides better usability. There is space on the app bar. I am OK with the hamburger menu on the top (because I don't use it at all!)
    wp_ss_20150202_0001.jpg
    02-02-2015 11:55 AM
    The TP is subject to change my user feedback. Maybe there will be an option, but there won't if you don't tell them.
    02-02-2015 11:56 AM
    I don't know man.. they just wan to do it.
    They (MS) aren't all about that simplicity anymore.
    It doesn't bother me that much in terms of usability.. i'll still be able to get **** done.
    But it just bothers me because I don't understand it.
    If you promoted your OS as a really simple one, why suddenly scrap all of that and put some BS in it?
    nohra and Kram Sacul like this.
    02-02-2015 03:54 PM
    It is, and always has been, all about making it a very personal unique experience.

I think it still does.

Even with the background image, you can still set it as black.

Personally, I'm waiting for office, specially Outlook and OneNote.

Oh and the precision track thingy on the keyboard! That must be something.
    02-02-2015 04:03 PM
    I don't know man.. they just wan to do it.
    They (MS) aren't all about that simplicity anymore.
    It doesn't bother me that much in terms of usability.. i'll still be able to get **** done.
    But it just bothers me because I don't understand it.
    If you promoted your OS as a really simple one, why suddenly scrap all of that and put some BS in it?
    because this is what the android users have continually told microsoft to do, microsoft is just caving in to what the masses are saying so that they can make WP profitable, i dont like it, but I dont blame microsoft for it =/
    02-02-2015 04:24 PM
    Pocketnow has an excellent article regarding this much-cried-about (for good reason) new UX.
    02-02-2015 06:33 PM
    WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
    Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.
    02-02-2015 07:06 PM
    WP is an inferior product that is being destroyed by its competitors. Microsoft is losing a lot of money, they need to make big changes.

Design has always being a weakness in WP, the UI is ugly and boring, the location of the elements is awkward. All the products that used the "Microsoft Design" (aka. Metro, Modern) have failed: Zune, WP and Windows 8.
    Take, for example, the core apps of WP: Phone, Messaging, Email and Calendar. How do you sell a product with those ugly and boring Apps? All monochrome, almost depressing, hard to read, and worse with all the commands at the bottom where nobody expects them. If you've been using Android or iOS and somebody gives you a WP, you just throw it into the trash can.

The changes that Microsoft is introducing in Windows 10 are pretty good, a big improvement that could help to save WP. With the current trajectory WP will be dead in a few quarters.
    Cool story, bro. Guess what is going to be featured in Windows 10, your beloved tiles!
    02-02-2015 07:16 PM
    I believe Zune HD was praised for its design.

webOS was acclaimed for its multitasking and notifications.

etc.
    The best product doesn't mean its the most successful.
    02-02-2015 07:22 PM

Reading all this makes me wonder why you stil on windows or with microsoft.
    If somebody gave me a ios or a Android phone i would also throw it away ( not really, i would sell it in order to buy a other windowsphone ).
    Those arguments are al personal based.
    02-02-2015 07:26 PM
    Heard that!. My wife and son are nothing using android based phones(GS5&MOne8) probably because I've been using WP since early 2011 I'm used to the tiles. Even more so now with more detailed info from compared to just a static tile, yaaay(sarcasm). Though I was looking as the Samsung note edge if Verizon wasn't gonna carry WP anymore.
    02-02-2015 07:59 PM
    Pocketnow has an excellent article regarding this much-cried-about (for good reason) new UX.
    Can you link it, or maybe tell me tha name of the article?

Edit: Is it this one?
    http://pocketnow.com/2015/02/02/most...plaints-bad-ui
    xandros9 and envio like this.
    02-03-2015 05:16 AM
    I was a Windows phone lover, is a Windows phone lover and always will be a Windows phone lover, WP is simplicity at its best, and I know android and ios may be better in certain aspects, but I support the Windows Phone OS, and believe that one day it will outperform others, good days are gonna come for WP, so those who are leaving the OS, best of luck....!😉
    ronaldme, Makm, vEEP pEEP and 2 others like this.
    02-03-2015 05:29 AM
    ...in WP...the location of the elements is awkward.
    You've made this assertion before without explaining it. Can you explain what is "awkward" about the location of elements and what you mean by "awkward?" I'm trying to understand if you mean "not like the others" or "worse that it could be."
    02-03-2015 06:04 AM
    I feel like it won't be so bad because there are a lot of complaints on the uservoice page, and MS will realise what they did and probably fix a lot of those things people don't like.
    nohra likes this.
    02-03-2015 07:02 AM
    I would wait to play with the update myself before making a decision regarding it. And my 1520 would be the perfect candidate for that. What better device to test the usability of the top navigation bar(hamburger menu) on win phones?
    02-03-2015 07:12 AM
    You've made this assertion before without explaining it. Can you explain what is "awkward" about the location of elements and what you mean by "awkward?" I'm trying to understand if you mean "not like the others" or "worse that it could be."
    They aren't where expected. Expectations are formed from usage of other computing devices, or products of competitors.
    02-03-2015 07:23 AM
    Well, then they are exactly where expected, at the bottom as on PCs and Windows tablets. Just where I expect them, down near the rest of the controls (such as the fixed buttons on the phone and Win button on the tablets). Why split the controls up and put some of them in unexpected places (such as at the top)? You are not being very logical.
    Makm and Legoboyii like this.
    02-03-2015 07:38 AM
    I believe Zune HD was praised for its design.

webOS was acclaimed for its multitasking and notifications.

etc.
    The best product doesn't mean its the most successful.
    Oo the great days of the Zune hd, I absolutely loved that UI, that's when the UI was great
    02-03-2015 07:56 AM
    What I really want is the new office + if they aren't going to keep the current design, I won't upgrade to 10 (for now :-o)
    Theayalalalalon likes this.
    02-03-2015 07:57 AM

I've been with WP since 2011, and am jumping ship to an iphone this spring, but wow, you couldn't be more way off if you tried.

The UI is what drew me (and pretty much everyone else) to it. It was fluid, clean, simple yet functional. No one expects commands at the bottom? Why? I had wm and dumb phones before this, so I had zero expectations. When I got my first windows phone, I didn't have to learn how to use it, I just sorta guessed, and the designers did such a good job that I already "knew" how to use it. It was a second-nature design.

The changes they're making are not good, they're splitting from their vision, and business 101 tells me that as soon as you splinter off and lose focus, your business crashes. I agree that windows phone is dead, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried about the UI/functionality.

-edit-

Let me also say when I pick up my wife's GS3, it's a bloated confusing mess. Launchers everywhere, multiple app drawers that do the same thing, the menus make no sense, there's no cohesion at all to it. She'll ask me to do something technical with it, and it'll take me 10 minutes of hunting and pecking strange menus and nonsensical "advanced options" before I find it. I am absolutely befuddled as to how android is so popular.
    Last edited by EchoOne30; 02-03-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    02-03-2015 08:29 AM
    definitely agree, and most developers put buttons at the bottom, much easier and faster indeed.
    karan madhyani1 and Makm like this.
    02-03-2015 08:53 AM

You seem to be very knowledgeable about the subject matter and we'd like to know your sources and references, such as on your remark about "losing a lot of money".

My L1020 has just died (freaking "Unable to find bootable option" error), and my parents almost convinced me into moving to a strong aluminum-cased bending phablet "competitor". It was indeed tempting, especially since they didn't seem to be bothered by errors such as that... and considering that my sister, parents, grandparents, girlfriend, girlfriend's siblings, and most colleagues have all bought into that fruit-based "competitor". But one thing stopped me - the user experience.

I've held the aluminum bend-proof "competitor" product in my hands; yes, it's slim, drop proof, a bit too large but still ergonomically designed, sleek, and a weapon in the wrong hands... but the interface was all off; and I've seen it everyday. It was as if "the competitor" was forcing the customers to want what "they" want rather than building the system around what the customers say they want. This is where Microsoft differs. The customer service for WP (in my country at least) may not be the best, but the customization options Windows Phones have are simply unmatched.

By the way, if someone gave you a WP and you just throw it away, that's plainly rude and arrogant.

Now back to brucexli's OP: this may be a good time to provide Microsoft with your feedback about the matter. But in my opinion, the reason MS placed the in-app search icon of OneDrive on the top right could be that users are used to finding the search button in the upper right corner of the screen (webpages, browsers, software and programs... the search icon is at the upper right corner.) Also, it's a bit redundant to see the search icon right beside the similarly-shaped Cortana-launching icon in the navigation bar.
    02-03-2015 09:30 AM
    I agree with TIZIANO27, but I would contend that "awkward" is a kind way of stating ergonomically backward. xandros9 kindly provided the link to the Pocketnow article (link above) that perfectly illustrates the ergonomic "awkwardness" of these UI decisions (particularly in larger screen devices). I believe this issue will be particularly acute for those users that are "one handed".

If MS insists and persists on these changes in Win 10 for phone, I believe that the only was they may be able to at least somewhat mitigate this awkwardness is to fully support landscape view everywhere, including the start screen. Since this change almost forces the user to interface with their device "two handed", the reach would then be minimized...... Anybody have a clue as to the extent landscape support for Win 10 phone?
    02-03-2015 11:16 AM
    I have a simple question. how do you open the action center? By swiping down with your 2nd hand. Yes you can do it with one hand but there are may dangers with that (dropping your phone l, pressing wrong things)

So what's the problem? Now you just have to use both your hands.
    02-03-2015 11:49 AM
45 12