Stardock for Windows Phone 10. Yes, why not?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is something about styling and personalization that Microsoft could take further advantage of from companies that do this better than any. The company I'm talking about is Stardock. They are the people who were styling and personalizing Microsoft Windows long before google mimicked the same concept on cell phones. I suspect they can do the same for Windows Phone X if only Microsoft could make the API available for themes. On their product website,Wincustomize, they have examples of their work if you've never heard of them. I wonder if this is something Windows Central could get behind for Windows Phone X?

preview-1-8153.jpg

View attachment 95508

preview-1-8212.jpg

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Or just get an Android handset if you want to customize to such an extent. Because it sounds like you want to eliminate live tiles if you're looking to do anything more than change the background. And what's a WP device without live tiles?

On a side note, please stop calling it Windows Phone X, this isn't Mac OS.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Or just get an Android handset if you want to customize to such an extent. Because it sounds like you want to eliminate live tiles if you're looking to do anything more than change the background. And what's a WP device without live tiles?

On a side note, please stop calling it Windows Phone X, this isn't Mac OS.

We don't lose live tiles and this ain't android. I'm talking about taking a more personalized approach to Windows phone X. Offer those that love this platform this option. You could continue to stand in place and spin, doesn't much matter. Its an option for Windows phone X.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I've never heard of Stardock. I'm familiar with Rainmeter.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

They're an interesting company whose products included acclaimed games like Demigod and Sins of a Solar Empire and Impulse, a Steam like game distribution service they sold to Gamestop.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah this company builds the structure on windows and the community builds the actual look via themes on that structure. Very well in most cases. If you run any flavor of windows, you can download a trial to check it out. Far better than Rainmeter IMO.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
We don't lose live tiles and this ain't android. I'm talking about taking a more personalized approach to Windows phone X. Offer those that love this platform this option. You could continue to stand in place and spin, doesn't much matter. Its an option for Windows phone X.

I'd just really like to hear what you expect Stardock with Windows Phone? It made sense for such UI enhancements on the Desktop....but I really don't see what you would expect them to do with a minimalistic UI that has live tiles?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd just really like to hear what you expect Stardock with Windows Phone? It made sense for such UI enhancements on the Desktop....but I really don't see what you would expect them to do with a minimalistic UI that has live tiles?

If MS opens the UI, those that may want to modify it would be able to. And those that want to keep a minimalist UI have that option. I thought that was said before.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If MS opens the UI, those that may want to modify it would be able to. And those that want to keep a minimalist UI have that option. I thought that was said before.

Here's a more direct question then - what do YOU mean when you say UI and what kind of customization or theming would you do if you had the skills (not saying you do or don't, just for assumptions sake though lets say you were an excellent coder and designer and could do anything you could think of). I personally am not a fan of this idea because I don't see where it fits in with Windows Phone; what are we going to do... customize the 'Now Playing' section to be blue with a spaceship flying around? However, it's always fun to hear other people's ideas and to spark interest, conversation, and creativity

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234