Windows 10 for Phones will be out TODAY!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Technically, it's an early build, and not even Alpha or Beta yet. But I understand what you meant. People assume it will be as stable as a beta. Betas aren't generally released until the developer is fairly certain that most bugs are squashed already. The build Microsoft has released to us they have said is full of bugs, and it may break your phone (as you said.) They said it could be completely unpredictable, and that it could even prevent you in some situations from doing basic things like making or receiving phone calls. <gasp!>

Yeah, it was released way early so that people could help report the bugs and get it fine tuned to fix all the issues.

As a first build, I think that MS have done a superb job. It's relatively stable. A few bugs and inconsistencies here and there, but nothing that would stop you enjoying your phone.
All programs I use work great with no hiccups. I like the new start screen too. A little deviation from what we are used to, but still working well.

Great job, MS... Keep up the good work!!!!

Roger Deep

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
WHY are you ' ... pretty pissed off now ... '?

Did you not read what this was all about, in your eagerness to have the latest & greatest. Microsoft said it'll be buggy, things won't work, it could break your phone. What part of that did you NOT understand?
You did read about it, before you installed it ...

I'm gonna assume you're PO'd at yourself, expecting a first beta software to perform like RTM software or a final build.
UNLESS, MS forced you to install it !

I came here today to repair a comment I made. When I said it was turning my wifi on, it was, but I left the "Turn wi-fi back on" on 1 hour. And I knew about this and forgot to put it to manually. So this was my mistake.

Back in the WP8 preview, it all worked for me and it was pretty fast. On the days of Windows 8 preview for desktop, it was even better than Windows 7. So my expectation for WP10 preview (I know, blame me) it was pretty high.

I really didn't like some new things, but I can live with that. But I cannot live with a phone that turn wifi or data on. Those are my options, I set it on, I turn it off and it stays off.

Still, in WP8.1 I find data turned on and GPS. That is something I think WP8.1 should not do. If some app ask for data/gps/wifi and it is turned off, it should not be able to turn it on and it does happen often.

This is a big problem. And Microsoft should also change the way permissions are given to apps because almost every app will run in the background and use data access to download stuff. The permission system should be totally manual with the approve of the user. And it should be strict with no exceptions. There are pretty stupid things like app asking for GPS access, when I have GPS turned off all of the time. And I never ever use data over 4G and I find it turned on many times.

That is what makes me and anybody really PO.

Back to WP10. It runs "smooth", little bit slow in some parts, many times you press something, it does not work, but you press it again and it goes. Control panel is nice. Other things like desktop transparency or fancy stuff, I really don't care, but it is pretty to see. Let's see if I will install WP10 on another device for testing.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I came here today to repair a comment I made. When I said it was turning my wifi on, it was, but I left the "Turn wi-fi back on" on 1 hour. And I knew about this and forgot to put it to manually. So this was my mistake.

Back in the WP8 preview, it all worked for me and it was pretty fast. On the days of Windows 8 preview for desktop, it was even better than Windows 7. So my expectation for WP10 preview (I know, blame me) it was pretty high. This is NOT WP10 Preview, this is an early build, very buggy - NOT at all like Preview for Developers

I really didn't like some new things, but I can live with that. But I cannot live with a phone that turn wifi or data on. Those are my options, I set it on, I turn it off and it stays off.

Still, in WP8.1 I find data turned on and GPS. That is something I think WP8.1 should not do. If some app ask for data/gps/wifi and it is turned off, it should not be able to turn it on and it does happen often.

This is a big problem. And Microsoft should also change the way permissions are given to apps because almost every app will run in the background and use data access to download stuff. The permission system should be totally manual with the approve of the user. You approve the apps permissions, when you D/L them
And it should be strict with no exceptions. There are pretty stupid things like app asking for GPS access, when I have GPS turned off all of the time. And I never ever use data over 4G and I find it turned on many times.

That is what makes me and anybody really PO.

Back to WP10. It runs "smooth", little bit slow in some parts, many times you press something, it does not work, but you press it again and it goes. Control panel is nice. Other things like desktop transparency or fancy stuff, I really don't care, but it is pretty to see. Let's see if I will install WP10 on another device for testing.

see comments (above in RED)

This is nowhere near the Final build (which Preview for Developer was). I'd expect @ least 10 more builds, before RTM or Final build.

I suggest you wait about a month (or two), until the build is a tad more stable. That's what I'm doing - though I have NO choice in the matter, my Lumia 1520 is NOT currently supported & I need my phone to work, well.

As a software Dev (not for phones), with experience in iterative testing, MS is recruiting the masses to flush out the bugs, plus, it appears the masses will have some final say in the UI design, based on feedback.

Issue, as always, has to do with your subset of apps & the interactions of same with OS. MS does NOT have enough testers to replicate that (the number of testers needed for that boggles the mind). While MS has some control over apps released in the Store, some are better written than others & those poorly written (or causing conflicts) will have to be removed, until repaired.

Last edited:

9112Fisher

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello, is there any new windows 10 update? I just got notification about critical update. I'll post more news after I update my Lumia 830.

UPDATE:

The update was downloaded but couldn't be opened. Error code: 8018830f
I guess it's Microsoft mistake again :p

Last edited:

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay, thanks. What are the key issues? I've always been a preview member for 8.1 and didn't find too many issues there...

If ur talking about preview for developers its almost finished project which is near to the consumers release version but technical preview is the code that is being developed and is far from PFD

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Okay, thanks. What are the key issues? I've always been a preview member for 8.1 and didn't find too many issues there...

The technical preview for Windows 10 is different from the preview for developers for Windows Phone 8.1. PFD releases were mainly stable releases such that the "developers" could create apps for it even before it reaches the "ordinary" user.

The technical preview, on the other hand, are for "technical" personnel who are knowledgeable and willing to participate in polishing the operating system in developing it as a whole. This means that the OS that is in the technical preview is not a stable version - this is contained in the disclaimer presented to those who are willing to participate. You may read about the details of Windows 10 for phones in the fora here, and for the bugs and defects specifically here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro