02-09-2015 09:33 PM
48 12
tools
    Simply not giving up on WP, Does not mean they will or will not put a high amount of effort or energy into WP 10, though. We will have to wait and see.
    02-07-2015 07:59 AM
    They now have great calendar and email apps, though. The Verge was praising Outlook for iOS, too.What Microsoft will want is enterprise lock-in. And when your customers are locked in, doesn't it make more sense to move to a platform that plays better with the service?
    No. What's the advantage? If the productivity services are equal on the other platforms, and there are still advantages in other areas such as games and social apps, why switch?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    02-07-2015 08:33 AM
    No. What's the advantage? If the productivity services are equal on the other platforms, and there are still advantages in other areas such as games and social apps, why switch?

MS has done this in the past.. Bring its services and make it the best on the market and them offer the best hardware [offered by MS' partners.]. But now that MS is on the hardware business as well things are different. With the SP and flashing phones people will give MS another look.
    02-07-2015 10:47 AM
    Simply not giving up on WP, Does not mean they will or will not put a high amount of effort or energy into WP 10, though. We will have to wait and see.
    I must got that definition wrong then, cuz if I don't give up on my project it means I'll put all the effort it deserves.
    02-07-2015 10:49 AM
    I must got that definition wrong then, cuz if I don't give up on my project it means I'll put all the effort it deserves.
    How much does it deserve?

Let's look at WP from from Microsoft's perspective: when WP launched in October 2010, I'm sure that Microsoft had every expectation of rivaling the iPhone and/or Android in market share in a couple years. I think we all did. I know I did. Yet here we are over 4 years later, and WP is still barely a blip on the radar. The iPhone is still outselling it 5 to 1, and that's the good news. Android is outselling it nearly 30 to 1.

I can't help but wonder what Microsoft would have done differently at the onset had they been able to see the situation today. Would they have relaunched WM with an updated UI? Would they have scrapped WP7 and started over before it even launched? Would they have simply dropped the whole idea of a mobile phone OS?

02-07-2015 01:37 PM
    How much does it deserve?

I can't help but wonder what Microsoft would have done differently at the onset had they been able to see the situation today. Would they have relaunched WM with an updated UI? Would they have scrapped WP7 and started over before it even launched? Would they have simply dropped the whole idea of a mobile phone OS?

I agree.
    MS mistake/s was it arrogance, stupidity and lack of vision. They ignored developers, instead of advanced WM they throw it away like they didn't care ( actually they didn't). But now WP it's part of MS ecosystem and like Mr. Nadella said WP is here to stay.
    02-07-2015 03:18 PM
    But now WP it's part of MS ecosystem and like Mr. Nadella said WP is here to stay.
    Yes, for whatever that's worth! I wouldn't put a lot of stock into so called promises. Mobile is certainly important to Microsoft's future, but they have what they need with their productivity apps on iOS and Android.

I'm not sure that WP itself is important to Microsoft. We keep saying that Microsoft needs WP. But how can that be? If WP adoption was necessary, Microsoft would be in a bad way right now with WP being at 3% market share, and the vast majority of those being budget phone users. And still Microsoft is doing just fine.

02-07-2015 04:11 PM
    Yes, for whatever that's worth! I wouldn't put a lot of stock into so called promises. Mobile is certainly important to Microsoft's future, but they have what they need with their productivity apps on iOS and Android.

I'm not sure that WP itself is important to Microsoft. We keep saying that Microsoft needs WP. But how can that be? If WP adoption was necessary, Microsoft would be in a bad way right now with WP being at 3% market share, and the vast majority of those being budget phone users. And still Microsoft is doing just fine.
    There is where you are wrong. WP market share is due the bad decisions of Ballmer.. Is MS doing OK? Yes it is due the diversity on products. Why Is WP important to MS? Well cuz that is where most of the computing is heading [mobile phones and tablets] and is why of the reason the PC's market share is down.
    02-07-2015 05:33 PM
    There is where you are wrong. WP market share is due the bad decisions of Ballmer.. Is MS doing OK? Yes it is due the diversity on products. Why Is WP important to MS? Well cuz that is where most of the computing is heading [mobile phones and tablets] and is why of the reason the PC's market share is down.
    Ok we'll have to agree to disagree here. Most of us here would agree though that Microsoft isn't giving WP the priority they should. It seems like it's not as important to them as some other projects, such as Office on the other platforms. If WP is so critical to Microsoft, wouldn't they give it more attention? They would be desparate to make it take off, and do whatever it takes. They would be taking drastic steps, such as selling upper end phones at budget prices, or at least being much more aggressive on pricing than they are. Yet they don't seem to care much.

I think WP is more important to its fans than it is to Microsoft! ;-)

02-07-2015 05:39 PM
    LG may have a phone with windows 10 in the works.

http://www.loadthegame.com/2015/02/0...ng-lg-verizon/
    02-07-2015 06:03 PM
    As far as productivity services go, we're talking mostly Enterprise customers. As a former CIO of a corporation, I can tell you that having to train people on multiple platforms is a pain in the neck. As Windows 10 makes inroads into Enterprise levels, IT departments will quickly discover that, with settings syncing across devices, it will be much easier to set up each individual user with their company laptop and company phone, if all the devices are running Windows 10. As an IT person, the promises of Windows 10 is a dream, and will make it easier for those departments to set up users. Assign apps for a user account, and the apps are downloaded to the laptop and the phone both.

Yes, there will be great advantages for corporate users. As these corporate users get more exposure to Windows 10 phones, many will make it their daily driver for their personal phone as well when they see how easy it is to work between devices.

Ok we'll have to agree to disagree here. Most of us here would agree though that Microsoft isn't giving WP the priority they should. It seems like it's not as important to them as some other projects, such as Office on the other platforms. If WP is so critical to Microsoft, wouldn't they give it more attention? They would be desparate to make it take off, and do whatever it takes. They would be taking drastic steps, such as selling upper end phones at budget prices, or at least being much more aggressive on pricing than they are. Yet they don't seem to care much.
    Now your blowing smoke. Sorry, mine is closed, so you won't be blowing it up mine.

The real story is that Microsoft has been holding back on Office, making it better. It hasn't been released for Windows Phone yet because they have been waiting on it becoming a true Windows 10 Universal App. That's where their resources have gone. Windows Phone is a critical part of the "One Experience", and they have been putting a lot into Windows Phone, but it's been concentrated on the Windows 10 devices coming soon.

More aggressive on pricing than they are? You are delirious. The prices for the quality of phones they have is the best I've seen. High end flagships? Hey, like I said, Microsoft has been waiting on Windows 10, so that the flagship can come with the biggest kicka** OS any phone has ever seen.

All this has been shown by Microsoft in word and in actions over and over again. It has been discussed here in the forums. If you aren't capable of understanding the concept of the vision that Microsoft has put forth, then stop crapping on what you don't understand. Sorry about writing it up this way, but you have been schooled on this vision more than once, and you either need to accept this is the direction Microsoft has taken or .... I'm not going to say it. Just stop using the same lame arguments, because the buckets you bring them in are full of holes.
    02-07-2015 06:43 PM
    I actually disagree on your bashing of Ballmer here ;) lol. I actually think it's because of Gates' that Microsoft hasn't focused enough on mobile.

Here's an article I wrote where I discuss the subject, rather than posting and wasting time ;) lol:

http://gadgetnerdly.com/what-if-bill...steve-ballmer/
    02-07-2015 08:17 PM
    This post is one of the best i've seen in WC forum
    Jorge Holguin likes this.
    02-08-2015 07:46 AM
    02-08-2015 07:53 AM
    I actually disagree on your bashing of Ballmer here ;) lol. I actually think it's because of Gates' that Microsoft hasn't focused enough on mobile.

Here's an article I wrote where I discuss the subject, rather than posting and wasting time ;) lol:

What if Bill Gates held Microsoft back, and not Steve Ballmer? - The Latest Gadget News and Reviews - GadgetNerdly
    First let me say; nice piece, I really enjoyed. And I will kind of agree with you and that Gates may have or not hold MS back. But although Ballmer had great intentions in many cases the execution was poorly done. As your piece pointed out Gates left in 2006; the iPhone came out in 2007 And Android 2008 respectively. So, Gates had a/two year already gone, so Ballmer had all the time to come up with a response/s but we cannot forget the infamous laugh at the first iPhone .

Mr. Ballmer lack of vision and arrogance was what held WP back.
    02-08-2015 12:45 PM
    First let me say; nice piece, I really enjoyed. And I will kind of agree with you and that Gates may have or not hold MS back. But although Ballmer had great intentions in many cases the execution was poorly done. As your piece pointed out Gates left in 2006; the iPhone came out in 2007 And Android 2008 respectively. So, Gates had a/two year already gone, so Ballmer had all the time to come up with a response/s but we cannot forget the infamous laugh at the first iPhone . Mr. Ballmer lack of vision and arrogance was what held WP back.

Thanks! I at least tried to make people think a bit ;). But like I said, development for Windows Phone started right after Gates took more time off. Who knows if they had to start from scratch or work with the "next gen OS" that they initially worked on from before. Either way, it would still take time for them to get it ready, which it did.

As far as the iPhone, to be fair, just about everyone laughed at it, not just Ballmer. I don't get why he's the only one who everyone points to. Consumers thought it was a joke too. The iPhone was basically worthless until the iPhone 4 came out (maybe the 3GS, but even that was ehh). That's when the iPhone really started to jump onto the scene.
    02-08-2015 12:53 PM
    Thanks!

As far as the iPhone, to be fair, just about everyone laughed at it, not just Ballmer. I don't get why he's the only one who everyone points to. Consumers thought it was a joke too. The iPhone was basically worthless until the iPhone 4 came out (maybe the 3GS, but even that was ehh). That's when the iPhone really started to jump onto the scene.
    My pleasure.. Ballmer, because who he was and the video.
    02-08-2015 01:00 PM
    We do have start screen on tablets..
    I have seen the new start screen when I turned on "Tablet Mode". I think that pretty much says it.
    02-08-2015 01:35 PM
    I have seen the new start screen when I turned on "Tablet Mode". I think that pretty much says it.

Do you think that's the final product?
    02-08-2015 10:18 PM
    Do you think that's the final product?
    No, but it is an indication of where it is headed.
    02-09-2015 11:53 AM
    No, but it is an indication of where it is headed.

But I assume that there will be more touch friendly additions on the way...hopefully the task bar and the way the settings/"charms" are in that super tiny hamburger menu at the top left.

I'm not against the hamburger at all, and it works fine within apps, but not like that on the menu bar of apps. And the taskbar speaks for itself
    02-09-2015 12:42 PM
    But I assume that there will be more touch friendly additions on the way...hopefully the task bar and the way the settings/"charms" are in that super tiny hamburger menu at the top left.

I'm not against the hamburger at all, and it works fine within apps, but not like that on the menu bar of apps. And the taskbar speaks for itself. Though to be fair, you don't really need to use it in tablet mode anyway (or at all for that matter if you choose not to)
    02-09-2015 12:43 PM
    I agree.
    MS mistake/s was it arrogance, stupidity and lack of vision. They ignored developers, instead of advanced WM they throw it away like they didn't care ( actually they didn't). But now WP it's part of MS ecosystem and like Mr. Nadella said WP is here to stay.
    It's not that simple, a company is not "arrogance" or "Stupid". it is not a person, it's a group and complex amount of people. Their delay on the market it's nobody's fault. All the fights that Windows Phone has been struggling with its the punishment for the platform being "late" in the market. This happen with every other product or company being the last one in pushing new and better products into the market.

That's how business.Works, if you don't push in, then you're out. If you're late, then push really hard and fight against the enviaroment
    02-09-2015 09:33 PM
48 12