W10 (Phone) Will be Great and Here is the Proof

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Until Microsoft addresses the lack of interest with the carriers' sales reps, nothing else is going to matter. I'd venture that 95% of people walk into a store with no idea what phone they want to get, and they'll end up with whatever the salesperson steers them towards. And that's almost never WP.

My own mother took her L920 to the AT&T store last week because she was having trouble with the battery life. What was their solution? They sold her an iPhone 6.

She gave the 920 to me and I reset it and it's just fine. This is the same 920 they tried to convince her not to get originally, when I took her in and specifically asked for one. They tried to sell her an android.

Another friend of mine went to a Verizon store to look at a Windows phone, and they actually asked him "Why do you want one of those? They're too confusing to use.". They didn't even have a working demo.

Without some incentive from Microsoft for the sales people, I'm afraid we're never going to rise above being an also ran in the U.S. market.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What I find interesting, is that with the grab of Acompli and Sunrise, and with the addition of making Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint available to iOS and Android users for free, they have just made Android and iPhone users more productive.

Now, I know a lot of you are saying, "Yeah, Microsoft has just made Android and iPhone users have no reason to switch to WP." But that's where you're wrong. Microsoft has just made iPhone and Android users say, "Wait, what? I thought Microsoft was a non-player when it comes to apps. That's what I've always been told. But now they have the best apps that I use on my phone?"

This means Android and iPhone users will stop bashing Microsoft and start showing Microsoft some love. Which in turn means that a lot of them will be willing to check out the new Windows 10 later, because Microsoft software has made them more productive. I'm not talking about the teenagers here who can't live without Snapchat and the like. I'm talking about people who do business in the real world. When THOSE people start adopting Win10 phones, developers are going to take notice, because it is going to be THOSE people who decide what kind of phone their teenage children are allowed to have, because they hold the purse strings, if you will.

Smart strategy, to say the least. They aren't trying to make iPhone and Android better. The goal here is to make Microsoft "loved". Once they accomplish that, then Microsoft devices will be the cool device to have.

Interesting concept. My idea is a bit different.

I don't think people are going to see Microsoft as "cool" because they put excellent Office apps on iOS and Android. "Cool" and "productive" are not generally used in the same sentence. Microsoft has been known for its Office suite and other productivity software since forever. Most users have no desire or need to be productive on their phones using Office. I'm not sure why people see Office as the Holy Grail that will somehow redeem WP.

In short, I don't think this will do anything to help WP's cause. It will, however, be good for Microsoft. They were forced to provide Office for the other platforms because they were hemorrhaging users, who were moving to iWorks and Google Docs.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Interesting concept. My idea is a bit different.I don't think people are going to see Microsoft as "cool" because they put excellent Office apps on iOS and Android. "Cool" and "productive" are not generally used in the same sentence. Microsoft has been known for its Office suite and other productivity software since forever. Most users have no desire or need to be productive on their phones using Office. I'm not sure why people see Office as the Holy Grail that will somehow redeem WP. In short, I don't think this will do anything to help WP's cause. It will, however, be good for Microsoft. They were forced to provide Office for the other platforms because they were hemorrhaging users, who were moving to iWorks and Google Docs.Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
They now have great calendar and email apps, though. The Verge was praising Outlook for iOS, too.What Microsoft will want is enterprise lock-in. And when your customers are locked in, doesn't it make more sense to move to a platform that plays better with the service?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They now have great calendar and email apps, though. The Verge was praising Outlook for iOS, too.What Microsoft will want is enterprise lock-in. And when your customers are locked in, doesn't it make more sense to move to a platform that plays better with the service?
No. What's the advantage? If the productivity services are equal on the other platforms, and there are still advantages in other areas such as games and social apps, why switch?

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
No. What's the advantage? If the productivity services are equal on the other platforms, and there are still advantages in other areas such as games and social apps, why switch?

MS has done this in the past.. Bring its services and make it the best on the market and them offer the best hardware [offered by MS' partners.]. But now that MS is on the hardware business as well things are different. With the SP and flashing phones people will give MS another look.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I must got that definition wrong then, cuz if I don't give up on my project it means I'll put all the effort it deserves.
How much does it deserve?

Let's look at WP from from Microsoft's perspective: when WP launched in October 2010, I'm sure that Microsoft had every expectation of rivaling the iPhone and/or Android in market share in a couple years. I think we all did. I know I did. Yet here we are over 4 years later, and WP is still barely a blip on the radar. The iPhone is still outselling it 5 to 1, and that's the good news. Android is outselling it nearly 30 to 1.

I can't help but wonder what Microsoft would have done differently at the onset had they been able to see the situation today. Would they have relaunched WM with an updated UI? Would they have scrapped WP7 and started over before it even launched? Would they have simply dropped the whole idea of a mobile phone OS?

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
How much does it deserve?

I can't help but wonder what Microsoft would have done differently at the onset had they been able to see the situation today. Would they have relaunched WM with an updated UI? Would they have scrapped WP7 and started over before it even launched? Would they have simply dropped the whole idea of a mobile phone OS?

I agree.
MS mistake/s was it arrogance, stupidity and lack of vision. They ignored developers, instead of advanced WM they throw it away like they didn't care ( actually they didn't). But now WP it's part of MS ecosystem and like Mr. Nadella said WP is here to stay.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But now WP it's part of MS ecosystem and like Mr. Nadella said WP is here to stay.

Yes, for whatever that's worth! I wouldn't put a lot of stock into so called promises. Mobile is certainly important to Microsoft's future, but they have what they need with their productivity apps on iOS and Android.

I'm not sure that WP itself is important to Microsoft. We keep saying that Microsoft needs WP. But how can that be? If WP adoption was necessary, Microsoft would be in a bad way right now with WP being at 3% market share, and the vast majority of those being budget phone users. And still Microsoft is doing just fine.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, for whatever that's worth! I wouldn't put a lot of stock into so called promises. Mobile is certainly important to Microsoft's future, but they have what they need with their productivity apps on iOS and Android.

I'm not sure that WP itself is important to Microsoft. We keep saying that Microsoft needs WP. But how can that be? If WP adoption was necessary, Microsoft would be in a bad way right now with WP being at 3% market share, and the vast majority of those being budget phone users. And still Microsoft is doing just fine.

There is where you are wrong. WP market share is due the bad decisions of Ballmer.. Is MS doing OK? Yes it is due the diversity on products. Why Is WP important to MS? Well cuz that is where most of the computing is heading [mobile phones and tablets] and is why of the reason the PC's market share is down.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There is where you are wrong. WP market share is due the bad decisions of Ballmer.. Is MS doing OK? Yes it is due the diversity on products. Why Is WP important to MS? Well cuz that is where most of the computing is heading [mobile phones and tablets] and is why of the reason the PC's market share is down.
Ok we'll have to agree to disagree here. Most of us here would agree though that Microsoft isn't giving WP the priority they should. It seems like it's not as important to them as some other projects, such as Office on the other platforms. If WP is so critical to Microsoft, wouldn't they give it more attention? They would be desparate to make it take off, and do whatever it takes. They would be taking drastic steps, such as selling upper end phones at budget prices, or at least being much more aggressive on pricing than they are. Yet they don't seem to care much.

I think WP is more important to its fans than it is to Microsoft! ;-)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
As far as productivity services go, we're talking mostly Enterprise customers. As a former CIO of a corporation, I can tell you that having to train people on multiple platforms is a pain in the neck. As Windows 10 makes inroads into Enterprise levels, IT departments will quickly discover that, with settings syncing across devices, it will be much easier to set up each individual user with their company laptop and company phone, if all the devices are running Windows 10. As an IT person, the promises of Windows 10 is a dream, and will make it easier for those departments to set up users. Assign apps for a user account, and the apps are downloaded to the laptop and the phone both.

Yes, there will be great advantages for corporate users. As these corporate users get more exposure to Windows 10 phones, many will make it their daily driver for their personal phone as well when they see how easy it is to work between devices.

Ok we'll have to agree to disagree here. Most of us here would agree though that Microsoft isn't giving WP the priority they should. It seems like it's not as important to them as some other projects, such as Office on the other platforms. If WP is so critical to Microsoft, wouldn't they give it more attention? They would be desparate to make it take off, and do whatever it takes. They would be taking drastic steps, such as selling upper end phones at budget prices, or at least being much more aggressive on pricing than they are. Yet they don't seem to care much.

Now your blowing smoke. Sorry, mine is closed, so you won't be blowing it up mine.

The real story is that Microsoft has been holding back on Office, making it better. It hasn't been released for Windows Phone yet because they have been waiting on it becoming a true Windows 10 Universal App. That's where their resources have gone. Windows Phone is a critical part of the "One Experience", and they have been putting a lot into Windows Phone, but it's been concentrated on the Windows 10 devices coming soon.

More aggressive on pricing than they are? You are delirious. The prices for the quality of phones they have is the best I've seen. High end flagships? Hey, like I said, Microsoft has been waiting on Windows 10, so that the flagship can come with the biggest kicka** OS any phone has ever seen.

All this has been shown by Microsoft in word and in actions over and over again. It has been discussed here in the forums. If you aren't capable of understanding the concept of the vision that Microsoft has put forth, then stop crapping on what you don't understand. Sorry about writing it up this way, but you have been schooled on this vision more than once, and you either need to accept this is the direction Microsoft has taken or .... I'm not going to say it. Just stop using the same lame arguments, because the buckets you bring them in are full of holes.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I actually disagree on your bashing of Ballmer here ;) lol. I actually think it's because of Gates' that Microsoft hasn't focused enough on mobile.

Here's an article I wrote where I discuss the subject, rather than posting and wasting time ;) lol:

http://gadgetnerdly.com/what-if-bill-gates-held-microsoft-back-and-not-steve-ballmer/

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually disagree on your bashing of Ballmer here ;) lol. I actually think it's because of Gates' that Microsoft hasn't focused enough on mobile.

Here's an article I wrote where I discuss the subject, rather than posting and wasting time ;) lol:

What if Bill Gates held Microsoft back, and not Steve Ballmer? - The Latest Gadget News and Reviews - GadgetNerdly

First let me say; nice piece, I really enjoyed. And I will kind of agree with you and that Gates may have or not hold MS back. But although Ballmer had great intentions in many cases the execution was poorly done. As your piece pointed out Gates left in 2006; the iPhone came out in 2007 And Android 2008 respectively. So, Gates had a/two year already gone, so Ballmer had all the time to come up with a response/s but we cannot forget the infamous laugh at the first iPhone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U.

Mr. Ballmer lack of vision and arrogance was what held WP back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo