W10 (Phone) Will be Great and Here is the Proof

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
W10 has been well received by those using W10 TP including me. And now MS have release Touch-based Office preview and according to the early reviews people like it. So far every thing it's going according to plan on the PCs and tablets area, but what about the phone? Well, MS is testing the software internally to make sure the preview is not as messy as the last released. I am anxious and exciting at the same time to try W10 (phones) that I put together a small list why I believe W10 (phone) will be great and I dare to say the best phone OS period. I revised some of the MS Research videos and some of the post attacking MS for letting other companies out-buy them.

Here is why I believe W10 (phone) will be great.
1 - New CEO and new attitude inside MS.
2 - Universal Apps.
3 - New acquisitions to [yes] diminish competition and build up the portfolio. *
4 - Interactive live tiles: something that hasn't been talk about recently because it came out early last year & it was supposed to be WP8.2.
5 - MS just release a Java toolkit for W10. Microsoft backs Java for cross-platform mobile apps | InfoWorld +
6 - Microsoft’s Satya Nadella Makes Peace With Silicon Valley Microsoft?s Satya Nadella Makes Peace With Silicon Valley - WSJ

*:
  1. Acompli
  2. Aorato
  3. Capptain (Mobile) application development
  4. Equivio
  5. GreenButton Cloud computing
  6. HockeyApp
  7. InMage Disaster recovery solutions
  8. Mojang
  9. Parature Customer service software
  10. Revolution Analytics
  11. Sunrise (Calendar)
  12. SyntaxTree Developer tools
Although, some of these acquisitions are for the cloud platform [Azure] MS is thinking about 'fun, connection and productivity and integration.' MS apps are among the top ten apps on iOS and Android. And even if you don't like it that is a good thing. Why? Because, most of the excuses for people not to jump to WP isn't the lack of app but how much they depend on the Google and Apple ecosystems. Many of us [WP] have been crying why is MS developing better apps for the big two and not for WP? Well, this have been answer many times already. But I just put another point, besides the obvious MS is learning to bring a better experience to W10 PCs & Phones.

+: I don't believe MS will be bringing Android Apps to W10, first: it just doesn't make sense and second: BB tried and it failed big time. I believe MS its just making it easier for those Java developers to make Universal W10 apps.

Here are the links of the Interactive live tiles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUfMszCJSwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEkIbUWzkLU

Last edited:

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
As right now there is only one app I would like to see on W/WP 8.1 and up; Clash of Clans. This is the biggest game on Android and iOS and some of my friends have it and are waiting for Windows to have it. For two reasons, 1: they want me to join them and 2: They wanna try WP but just because we dont have that game they are hesitating.

Abishek Robinson

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Please make clash of clans available

One small application we would appreciate to find it in wp10 will be clash of clans.... We really miss it here...

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Let's just wait and see how it all plays out. If they want Windows 10 to be truly successful on phones, they'll have to really get behind it and push. They seemed to start to do that before, but that push kind of died off in the midst of Ballmer retiring and Nadella taking over.

There still has a lot to be done on the Windows 10 (desktop front) however as it still feels very unfinished. Obviously it's a work in progress. We'll see how the first preview of it turns out on phones. Apps could definitely still be a deciding factor for a lot of people, and I hope that the OneCore thing actually works as planned, but for whatever reason, I have doubts

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Where has the Preview for Developers been a mess, my dear OP? The upcoming Windows 10 preview build for phones has explicitly been announced as not by far feature complete, unstable, buggy and not working as expected. It has been pointed out several times that we should not install it on anything we rely on as a daily driver. None of this applied to the PfD Program, where we sort of got a feature complete, mostly bug free and almost finished OS.

And again someone is praising Universal apps as the uber feature we'll be looking forward to and that will be the salvation of Windows overall. While I do agree that Universal apps are great, they are not new. Not at all. They have been introduced with Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 already. If not even 8, not sure about this one.

chipeast

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Universal apps were introduced in Windows 8.1 and Windows phone 8.1 before then developing an app for Windows 8.x and Windows 8 phone was a two app project. Universal apps may not be new to Windows 10 but Universal store is. Universal store gives developers the ability to publish to one store across all device types. That does not exist now with PC's and phones let alone all Windows devices.. The Windows development platform is also being improved but they have not released many details on this.

Universal apps isn't the only benefit of having a single Windows Runtime environment. You will see Windows development tools improve at a dramatic rate. You will also see the Windows OS itself, across all devices, evolve at a much faster rate. Live tiles, push notifications etc. etc. for Windows 8.x and Windows 8 all had to be developed separately because it was a different API. Now the API will be the same across all Windows Devices. This will dramatically help Microsoft Developers create a better Windows OS.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Universal apps were introduced in Windows 8.1 and Windows phone 8.1 before then developing an app for Windows 8.x and Windows 8 phone was a two app project. Universal apps may not be new to Windows 10 but Universal store is. Universal store gives developers the ability to publish to one store across all device types. That does not exist now with PC's and phones let alone all Windows devices.. The Windows development platform is also being improved but they have not released many details on this.

Universal apps isn't the only benefit of having a single Windows Runtime environment. You will see Windows development tools improve at a dramatic rate. You will also see the Windows OS itself, across all devices, evolve at a much faster rate. Live tiles, push notifications etc. etc. for Windows 8.x and Windows 8 all had to be developed separately because it was a different API. Now the API will be the same across all Windows Devices. This will dramatically help Microsoft Developers create a better Windows OS.

While all this is true, I'm afraid that's too technical for most of those who are so enthusiastic about universal apps. I believe so far they didn't even realize that we already had them.
You know what I would really like to see in Windows 10? True sync. Like when opening an app, it doesn't only clear the tile on the device I opened it on, but also on all other devices. That would be awesome. Imho. :)

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Where has the Preview for Developers been a mess, my dear OP? The upcoming Windows 10 preview build for phones has explicitly been announced as not by far feature complete, unstable, buggy and not working as expected. It has been pointed out several times that we should not install it on anything we rely on as a daily driver. None of this applied to the PfD Program, where we sort of got a feature complete, mostly bug free and almost finished OS.

And again someone is praising Universal apps as the uber feature we'll be looking forward to and that will be the salvation of Windows overall. While I do agree that Universal apps are great, they are not new. Not at all. They have been introduced with Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 already. If not even 8, not sure about this one.

Everybody knows the risk of installing a preview OS.. I did it with my PC and Phone when W8 came out and I can tell you that it broke my phone and PC and for what I read I wasn't the only one. And comparing W10 preview to the last one I can tell you my PC is as fast as it was when it has W7.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Let's just wait and see how it all plays out. If they want Windows 10 to be truly successful on phones, they'll have to really get behind it and push. They seemed to start to do that before, but that push kind of died off in the midst of Ballmer retiring and Nadella taking over.

There still has a lot to be done on the Windows 10 (desktop front) however as it still feels very unfinished. Obviously it's a work in progress. We'll see how the first preview of it turns out on phones. Apps could definitely still be a deciding factor for a lot of people, and I hope that the OneCore thing actually works as planned, but for whatever reason, I have doubts

Yeah, apps are deciding factors especially for teens; my little cousin who got the 620 ended up getting the M8 (android version) all because of snapchat.... :grincry:. Initially he wanted to get the WP version but that is still locked to the US, I know a lot of people who ended up getting the android version as they couldn't wait any longer.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, apps are deciding factors especially for teens; my little cousin who got the 620 ended up getting the M8 (android version) all because of snapchat.... :grincry:. Initially he wanted to get the WP version but that is still locked to the US, I know a lot of people who ended up getting the android version as they couldn't wait any longer.

You bring up another good point...availability. People in the US can't get some phones here, people internationally can't get some phones there, and even within countries people can't get phones because of carrier exclusives. Microsoft needs to work VERY hard at getting their lineup available to everybody. This also means less variations of essentially the same exact phone. Keep it simple, and try to make it available across the board.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What I find interesting, is that with the grab of Acompli and Sunrise, and with the addition of making Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint available to iOS and Android users for free, they have just made Android and iPhone users more productive.

Now, I know a lot of you are saying, "Yeah, Microsoft has just made Android and iPhone users have no reason to switch to WP." But that's where you're wrong. Microsoft has just made iPhone and Android users say, "Wait, what? I thought Microsoft was a non-player when it comes to apps. That's what I've always been told. But now they have the best apps that I use on my phone?"

This means Android and iPhone users will stop bashing Microsoft and start showing Microsoft some love. Which in turn means that a lot of them will be willing to check out the new Windows 10 later, because Microsoft software has made them more productive. I'm not talking about the teenagers here who can't live without Snapchat and the like. I'm talking about people who do business in the real world. When THOSE people start adopting Win10 phones, developers are going to take notice, because it is going to be THOSE people who decide what kind of phone their teenage children are allowed to have, because they hold the purse strings, if you will.

Smart strategy, to say the least. They aren't trying to make iPhone and Android better. The goal here is to make Microsoft "loved". Once they accomplish that, then Microsoft devices will be the cool device to have.

As I learned well from Cortana:
Cortana said:
Why did the hipster burn his mouth on his coffee? Because he drank it before it was cool.
We Windows Phone 8.1 users are simply hipsters, and we're doing it before it's cool. Later, everyone will be wanting a Windows Phone. Okay, my opinion, but I'm entitled to it.

When you can get some of these tech sites that have always been fanboys of iPhone to start talking nice and being impressed by Windows 10, then you know you've done something right.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
What I find interesting, is that with the grab of Acompli and Sunrise, and with the addition of making Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint available to iOS and Android users for free, they have just made Android and iPhone users more productive.

Now, I know a lot of you are saying, "Yeah, Microsoft has just made Android and iPhone users have no reason to switch to WP." But that's where you're wrong. Microsoft has just made iPhone and Android users say, "Wait, what? I thought Microsoft was a non-player when it comes to apps. That's what I've always been told. But now they have the best apps that I use on my phone?"

This means Android and iPhone users will stop bashing Microsoft and start showing Microsoft some love. Which in turn means that a lot of them will be willing to check out the new Windows 10 later, because Microsoft software has made them more productive. I'm not talking about the teenagers here who can't live without Snapchat and the like. I'm talking about people who do business in the real world. When THOSE people start adopting Win10 phones, developers are going to take notice, because it is going to be THOSE people who decide what kind of phone their teenage children are allowed to have, because they hold the purse strings, if you will.

Smart strategy, to say the least. They aren't trying to make iPhone and Android better. The goal here is to make Microsoft "loved". Once they accomplish that, then Microsoft devices will be the cool device to have.

As I learned well from Cortana:

We Windows Phone 8.1 users are simply hipsters, and we're doing it before it's cool. Later, everyone will be wanting a Windows Phone. Okay, my opinion, but I'm entitled to it.

When you can get some of these tech sites that have always been fanboys of iPhone to start talking nice and being impressed by Windows 10, then you know you've done something right.

If I would have not written the OP this would have been the best replacement for it. I love your last two paragraphs.

Nobody could have say it better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb