02-10-2015 07:30 PM
32 12
tools
    Dude, it's already been proven that Windows Phone is more battery efficient than Android, the live tiles make no difference. Look at the HTC One M8. The same hardware running Windows and Android. The battery of the Windows version lasts longer. We love the live tiles; you're obviously not a Windows Phone fan. The tiles ARE Windows Phones. Without the tiles, Windows Phone isn't Windows Phone.
    Yes, WP has better performance and battery life, but it would be slightly better without the dysfunctional live tiles.

I don't love tiles on the phone, I kind of hate them, in fact I kind of hate Metro, the typography, the monochrome UI, the menus at the bottom.. but I do love to everything else about WP, with the exception of the lack of apps, the setting page and Nokia's fat hardware.

Windows never had live tiles before. 25 years of success without any live tile, then they add live tiles and everything starts going wrong.
    02-09-2015 11:02 PM
    Live tiles that don't work properly shouldn't be the reason to buy the product.
    I think WP would sell more with a grid of icons. Specially in the low-end segment, the only segment in which the platform is competitive.
    They work perfectly fine. They work perfectly fine of my 930, my wife's 1320, her mom's 630 and her older 625 which I now have as a tinker device, my co-worker's 1020 and they work perfectly fine on my old Lumia 800 which is running 7.8.... They worked perfectly fine on 7.5 too.

If you keep getting load screens and tiles not updating often, it's not the device that's the problem. The problem is with you not knowing how to optimize your background tasks, notifications and apps you leave running in the background which you often forget to turn off.

I'd suspect you're one of those type of people who forget that they have dozens of tabs still active in Internet Explorer or that you have just about every app on your phone having all their background tasks and notifications turned on with vibrate and every bell and whistle sucking up what little resources your budget phone has.

Then you complain that your budget phone and the OS sucks because your battery drains so fast and that everything you do is so slow.

And the previous complaint about tiles flipping so that you don't know what app it is until it flips around again?

Are you that forgetful that you don't remember which apps you installed and which ones you manually positioned on your Start Screen? Or are you that impatient that you can't wait the 5 seconds for the tile to flip back around to remember what app it was?

Solution?

Go into that App's settings and disable all Toast Notifications.

And like the wave of a magical wand, your tiles stop flipping around and remain like those plain, boring, static icons you admire so much from Android and Apple.

Turn off all the extra features, all the toast notifications, all the background tasks.... Make sure you properly close all apps and tabs and suddenly your low budget phone will not only work and look as you wish, but you will also see your battery life last longer and many functions load and run faster.

Less things for the CPU and RAM to do equals a smoother system with quicker reaction time.... Go figure.

Now, if your argument at this point is a deflection along the lines of "well my budget phone shouldn't have to turn all of that off to have a good battery life and run decent without constant loading screens."

My response is this:

You got a budget phone. If you want a phone that can do all the things a mid range or high end phone can do and do just as snappy, then you should have bought a mid/high range phone.

You get what you pay for.
    Jazmac likes this.
    02-10-2015 05:56 AM
    Yes, WP has better performance and battery life, but it would be slightly better without the dysfunctional live tiles.

I don't love tiles on the phone, I kind of hate them, in fact I kind of hate Metro, the typography, the monochrome UI, the menus at the bottom.. but I do love to everything else about WP, with the exception of the lack of apps, the setting page and Nokia's fat hardware.

Windows never had live tiles before. 25 years of success without any live tile, then they add live tiles and everything starts going wrong.
    So you DO love Windows Phone, except pretty much everything about it.

You don't like the battery life despite being one of the best out there, You don't like the live tiles, you don't like the UI, you don't like the settings, you don't like the menus at the bottom for easier access, you don't like the typography, you don't like the lack of apps, you don't like the hardware, you don't like the performance....

Yet you love Windows Phone and bought multiple Lumias despite hating everything about them that makes them WP.

You first complain that the battery life and performance is crap and then switch and say they're both good but could be better.

I've seen better trolls in debate forums about fairy tale trolls who demand tolls while standing by polls near holes.
    Nicholas Maguire and Loc Ngo like this.
    02-10-2015 06:13 AM
    This thread can't be too far from the Masterlock since its turned from a reasonable question to yet another android infection from those that cannot decide how to move on from here. I could see if you were forced to use a Windows phone. You choose it. Some could say it chose you but that's another story. And its weird A argument since Windows phone had live tiles since its inception.

3 phones deep and you never liked them? It sounds like another buyers remorse story to me.
    02-10-2015 09:02 AM
    Can we get back to constructive feedback on ways that MS could make Windows 10 phones a splash with consumers? I don't really care about Android nor did I ask anything about it. Saying "make it like Android" isn't really a satisfactory response in my opinion.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-2015 12:17 PM
    Can we get back to constructive feedback on ways that MS could make Windows 10 phones a splash with consumers? I don't really care about Android nor did I ask anything about it. Saying "make it like Android" isn't really a satisfactory response in my opinion.
    Easy: death to the hamburger menu, bring back hubs and original people hub, stay unique, MixView tiles, make the settings app more "Metro," native option to close music playback (like the Stop Music apps), better Music and Video apps, rebuild Skype from the ground up to improve performance, more features, more emojiis, maybe customize the keyboard, auto update meta data for music files and option to manually alter the data with a file explorer, attachable IR blaster??? I'd love to have that, would pave the way for universal remote apps :P

About all I can think of for now. :P
    02-10-2015 07:26 PM
    Easy: death to the hamburger menu, bring back hubs and original people hub, stay unique, MixView tiles, make the settings app more "Metro," native option to close music playback (like the Stop Music apps), better Music and Video apps, rebuild Skype from the ground up to improve performance, more features, more emojiis, maybe customize the keyboard, auto update meta data for music files and option to manually alter the data with a file explorer, attachable IR blaster??? I'd love to have that, would pave the way for universal remote apps :P

About all I can think of for now. :P
    All of that and get Starbucks to make an app
    02-10-2015 07:30 PM
32 12