W10 mobile start screen is unattractive?

DoyoubiNoAme

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Seriously. I really like how Microsoft develops it's platform, giving new exciting features, but the design of a new start screen for phones is just plain ugly. I understand, that having consistent look across platforms is important, but what is the point of aesthetically perfect True Black lumia screens, if they will drop current design for the new one. That parallaxed under-the-icons design which we have now on WP 8.1 is genius by itself.
How to keep screen tidy, show all needed icons and yet allow user to customize it, keeping every part of the UI great? Current solution. Black background grid, white icons, and image of choice inbetween.
New design, while making things less strict and more alive, totally destroys idea of Metro UI, of clear, clean and organized ui.

I just hope they will leave current design as customizable option for the new W10. :cry:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
you've only seen a couple screenshots
I don't think we know how much freedom or not we have quite yet regarding the start screen.

but eh, it's all a WIP

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I fail to see the problem here. This is why they give users options; to switch off features they don't want. Let's not act like these changes are going to be forced when we haven't even tried the preview, yes? Plus, not every WP is a lumia, so the true black screen point is moot. Personally, I want more colour on my start screen and i'll be diving straight for a background wallpaper; otherwise, it looks too much like a chalkboard.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What on earth are you talking about?? It's virtually the same exact f*****g thing????!!!! What, you don't like the background? You don't like the translucent tiles? I'm willing to bet all of those things are customizable. Even if they're not (which I'm sure they will), all you need to do is download a black background anyway. What is there to complain about? That makes no sense.

That's what you choose to criticize about Windows 10 on phones? The one thing that stayed almost exactly the same? Dear Lord...

Sorry guys, kind of lost it there, but I just don't understand some of these criticisms. Not saying Windows 10 is going to be perfect, but c'mon.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
People hated the wp8.1 background photo before thy released the preview. Now they love it. WP users have been bitc.hing about the black/white theme. I for once love all the changes, the background, the new UI, the top bars. So far I love it and even if some things change way too much, I know I can adjust. There are bigger problems in life that phone OS

I see that the pattern still goes on.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
People hated the wp8.1 background photo before thy released the preview. Now they love it. WP users have been bitc.hing about the black/white theme. I for once love all the changes, the background, the new UI, the top bars. So far I love it and even if some things change way too much, I know I can adjust. There are bigger problems in life that phone OS

I see that the pattern still goes on.

Actually, its even worse than that. When people saw that the picture was behind the tiles and not precisely how they have it now, threads were FILLED with people calling it the worse design ever and than they should've made it how they're going to make it in W10. People are stupid lol.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Actually, its even worse than that. When people saw that the picture was behind the tiles and not precisely how they have it now, threads were FILLED with people calling it the worse design ever and than they should've made it how they're going to make it in W10. People are stupid lol.

I tried to be good. I am even thing about leaving for good the Wcentral Forums for that drama and unreasonable ranting.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Lets be thankful that we no longer hear the endless complaints about the notification centre anymore. Haha

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You know someone on WCF or other forum said that WP users cry for everything and I don't want to but I am getting close to agree to whoever said that. Please it is getting annoying. Nobody, Nobody has actually seeing that actual W10 for phones yet. All we'd seen so far are leaks. We dont know how much option/s we will have to customized the phone if any at all.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried to be good. I am even thing about leaving for good the Wcentral Forums for that drama and unreasonable ranting.

I'm here for the lol's, and man, when something happens, it's funny. Though, never been a fan of the same post being made dozen times over ("will my Lumia get...?" is definitely a recurring thread).

To the OP though, just no. You have titles, you have a background, you have #TitleMe, use your imagination and think of the possibilities that are going to open up; it's still the same as what we have now, go enjoy, though I do wish Microsoft would make all of their apps translucent (Skype...).

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm here for the lol's, and man, when something happens, it's funny. Though, never been a fan of the same post being made dozen times over ("will my Lumia get...?" is definitely a recurring thread).

To the OP though, just no. You have titles, you have a background, you have #TitleMe, use your imagination and think of the possibilities that are going to open up; it's still the same as what we have now, go enjoy, though I do wish Microsoft would make all of their apps translucent (Skype...).

that's right

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a moronic thread. Dont you get that with W10 you can put any color as backround, not limited to white/black anymore? Jeeez, if your not happy with a picture and you hate to see some other color there, keeep using the black and white.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Fun fact: Windows XP caught a lot of flak because of the "Fisher-Price" design.

A quick Bing search can find traces of moaning about how (new OSes, whether 7, Vista) start menu sucks and the old one was perfect, etc.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Lets be thankful that we no longer hear the endless complaints about the notification centre anymore. Haha

It still early wait and we shall see, there will be more bi.tching. Why did the add these rows, its no metro style. Its too cluttered. Why msft is becoming more android? Wait and when the preview is out we will hear this and many more.

Well now its modern style and I am glad that panoramas are gone. The style is changing, evolving. I prefer functionality over perfect aesthetic. Basically I want balance between these aspects. What good can do a perfect but useless design or a functional but hideous design. Nothing.
I used for less than an hour my old wp7 Lumia 800 and it was a pain in the a.ss I am even glad that it screen was shattered and i decided to buy the L920. Wp8.1 and soon w10 will be the most useful and customizable versions of wp. It will add things that are missed and we have been asking for so long. So please stop crying and overreacting, wait see if first hand and then suggest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6