Hi guys

Wondering whether Windows 10 for phone email client would support attachments other than images & the inclusion of real time background multitasking that would support open sockets for SIP & connections to iRC servers etc, which are closed as soon as the applications are moved to background with Windows phone 8.x

Regards,
    02-08-2015 11:18 PM
    02-09-2015 07:08 PM
    Excellent. Are you a MVP?
    02-09-2015 09:35 PM
    Ehh, somewhat I guess?

Just an esteemed member.

The new Outlook app has yet to really be touched in depth, since all we know is what we saw in the demo and what the press has told us. Although worth noting you can send other attachments if you use the share feature from within another app.

As for multitasking, Microsoft took a path more like iOS in Windows Phone and the modern apps in 8, so I would expect them to continue on. We might see more flexibility or freedom, but we can't really know until we see the SDK etc.

So we can speculate, which is what a lot of the talk here is, but we don't know for sure until we see the first Preview build drops any day now. Even then its a work-in-progress, so things can change within the next few months.
    02-09-2015 10:28 PM
    xandros9
    Thank you. Your first reply to my concerns sounded truly MVP & I had to change that "guess" after reading your last detailed reply. Well, guys like us without having connections depend upon forums like these for some information, those help us to decide whether we should still stick to the platform or, sigh and leave until it matures enough (hopefully)
    You are right, I will wait until the final product is released.

regards,
    02-09-2015 11:52 PM
    We don't know much, as of yet. But I feel the Outlook app is gonna be a beast.
    The current email cllient just gets the job done, but Outlook is gona get you eerything you need (that's what I think).
    rajthampi likes this.
    02-10-2015 03:44 AM
    hopefully i can get audible / notifications on my email subfolders .. right now i miss new email as there are no audible or pop up notifications if emails arrive in inbox subfolders. Live tiles do work but they dont generate any alerts or wake up the phone .! also i would actually like to forward a email attachment cant believe they missed it for corp users .

Right now andriod Outlook app is also a mess , it only have notifications for inbox , no other emails are syncing from subfolders or generating any notifications
    02-10-2015 04:22 AM
    hopefully i can get audible / notifications on my email subfolders .. right now i miss new email as there are no audible or pop up notifications if emails arrive in inbox subfolders. Live tiles do work but they dont generate any alerts or wake up the phone .
    or you could customize it in notification+actions settings!
    Geddeeee likes this.
    02-10-2015 04:53 AM
    Multiple attachments and ability attach a document without having to upload it to OneDrive is what I'm after. Nothing more frustrating than opening a OneDrive document, only to have to re-upload it to OneDrive again to share it.
    N_LaRUE and zkyevolved like this.
    02-10-2015 05:17 AM
    I'm an MVP.

And we don't know what the detailed capabilities of Windows 10 for phones are yet. We also don't know what's going to be built in the following months and what the end result will be.

The important thing when you do play with the TP is using the feeback app to ask for changes/fixes.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-10-2015 05:36 AM
    Multiple attachments and ability attach a document without having to upload it to OneDrive is what I'm after. Nothing more frustrating than opening a OneDrive document, only to have to re-upload it to OneDrive again to share it.
    You can use the share function within the Office Hub to send documents directly from your phone without using OneDrive. It's a roundabout way of doing something but it does the job.

What I want is reply with document attachment. This has been a big pain for me.
    02-10-2015 06:46 AM
    I'm an MVP.
    The important thing when you do play with the TP is using the feeback app to ask for changes/fixes.
    Windowsphone uservoice has 12000+ votes for email attachments, initiated by late 2011 and it fell into deaf ears until date. So what feedback mechanism we are referring to?
    02-10-2015 07:26 AM
    Windowsphone uservoice has 12000+ votes for email attachments, initiated by late 2011 and it fell into deaf ears until date. So what feedback mechanism we are referring to?
    He's referring to when the technical preview comes out to voice your opinions.

If you read my post above yours you can attach documents to emails, just not to reply emails.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-10-2015 07:32 AM
    Like with Windows 10 preview, there will most probably be a feedback app installed onto your phone. Providing feedback in this manner appears to have been very useful in giving Microsoft information about how users use functionality.
    02-10-2015 07:36 AM
    He's referring to when the technical preview comes out to voice your opinions.
    If you read my post above yours you can attach documents to emails, just not to reply emails.
    If you read my post, I was not asking for workaround solutions to attach files either. Btw I am not picking on someone, rather expressing concerns those are affecting my business requirements.
    02-10-2015 07:36 AM
    If you read my post, I was not asking for workaround solutions to attach files either. Btw I am not picking on someone, rather expressing concerns those are affecting my business requirements.
    It's not a work around, it's the way the phone works, that's how you attach documents, using the Office hub.

I didn't say you were picking on anyone.

I know how you feel. I had the same problem when I first got a WP. The main issue for me was replying to emails with attachments. To me this is the main issue. Attaching documents, not so much.
    02-10-2015 07:40 AM
    It's not a work around, it's the way the phone works, that's how you attach documents, using the Office hub.

I didn't say you were picking on anyone.

I know how you feel. I had the same problem when I first got a WP. The main issue for me was replying to emails with attachments. To me this is the main issue. Attaching documents, not so much.
    Its one in the same thing. Even if they add the ability to attach documents in replies they still need to change how one initiates a mail with attachment's.

The flow cant start in two different apps.

Office hub is a disaster in any case for sharing. It doesn't allow for one to share multiple files, located in different folders.
    02-10-2015 08:01 AM
    Its one in the same thing. Even if they add the ability to attach documents in replies they still need to change how one initiates a mail with attachment's.

Office hub is a disaster in any case for sharing. It doesn't allow for one to share multiple files, located in different folders.
    I agree to what you just said. Unfortunately most of the suggestions about using the office hub or other sharing methods hardly ever emphasis the requirements of attaching multiple documents with a single email. Further, I do travel loads as a part of my job responsibilities and the cheapest mean to be in touch with back offices were through the SIP implementations we painfully developed through years. First WP lacks generic SIP clients until Zoiper and Linphone took the pain, once again making it a jeopardy as the sockets cannot be kept open. You open another app, the connections are dropped and unless you open the SIP client, you cannot receive a call.
    These are the pain areas as a corporate user I stand everyday with a WP, and the same factor forces me to carry an Android device to take care of the "business needs"
    Anyway, I can see that the discussion is getting interesting much prior the TP itself is released for testing :)
    Cheers friends and no hard feelings, please
    02-10-2015 08:35 AM

I wasn't suggesting a change wasn't needed. I was just pointing out how to attach documents now and not have to use OneDrive.

Do I think it needs to change. Yes. I think my comments have indicated that. Do I hope it's better in the new app? Yes.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-10-2015 10:14 AM
    or you could customize it in notification+actions settings!
    NOPPPE, that's not the point , notifications doesn't work in subfolders . notifications + actions settings only have option for inbox. not subfolders under inbox try it yourself.
    Waylon Payne likes this.
    02-11-2015 04:40 AM
    NOPPPE, that's not the point , notifications doesn't work in subfolders . notifications + actions settings only have option for inbox. not subfolders under inbox try it yourself.
    there is no sense in getting notifications for spam emails or junk mails
    02-14-2015 10:57 PM
    there is no sense in getting notifications for spam emails or junk mails
    I think he means that he wants the ability to choose which folders receive notifications. Not notifications for every folder.
    desitunez likes this.
    02-14-2015 11:07 PM