Battery life - Win 10 Tech Preview for Phones

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 635 -
On 8.1 - 11 hours
It seems to be variable right now. Perhaps it will settle in. After first full charge following the update, it only got 3 hours use before having to charge. Only one 5 minute phone call during that time, no texting or surfing. I did a soft reset, and after charging a second time, it has lasted for 4 hours, and I'm down to 85%.

I'm also having serious issues with lag. I have to wait 5 seconds or more for the start screen to show. I've heard from others that did a hard reset after installing that it resolved a lot of those issues, so I'm thinking about doing that, but I have to wait until I'm on Wi-Fi again, which won't be until tomorrow or Sunday. I'll report back again afterward to see if battery life changes any.

JagWireZ

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Worse. with Windows 8.1, my phone would last a few days with little use. Now it's almost dead at the end of the day with little use.

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Worse on the 830. Used to be able to make it all day with plenty to spare. Now I need to recharge to get through the day. Standby seems normal, but if I'm actually using things it goes down quick on W10.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
On my 535 at first the drain was bad. Now its around the same (maybe slightly worse than 8.1). I get a day easily out of it, not much heating up now and even with moderate use finishing up with over 20% left when the day is done.

Spencer Carriveau

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
When my 1020 goes without turning into a handwarmer in my pocket, the battery life is decent. I also believe I have chased down the culprit responsible. Somehow the camera sensor gets activated and the little shutter on the back is open every single time it begins to heat up and drain my battery. Attempting to open any camera app fails, as the app will just crash upon launch. The solution is to restart/reboot your phone. A regular restart(press power button and swipe down) works a little over half the time and other times require a soft reset(hold power + vol down + camera button until it vibrates). Then open a camera app and then exit the camera app to get the shutter to close and the sensor to turn off and heating up ceases.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My 930 was bad after the update from 8.1 Denim, and was heating up a lot.

However, I decided to backup my stuff and wipe my phone with a clean reset from the settings, then added everything back on and the battery life is much better than on Denim (which was better than Cyan) and even playing games like Rival Knights or Major Mayhem for long periods of time, my phone gets warm, but not Hot like it used to and I still get about 20% more battery life left over than on Denim.

At the end of the day on Denim, I would usually be between 4% - 15% battery. Now I am usually between 18% - 40%.

Not too shabby.

I assume the drain at the start had to do with pre existing apps on my phone from 8.1 and my loading screens all the time had to do with W10 trying to sync or process those apps and old start screen folders. Many of my apps either were not supported or I needed to download the newer ones through the new store app.

Regardless, my 930 is perfectly fine now for a daily driver despite the odd hangup or glitch / app crash.

A fresh wipe and reset is the way to go.

Patrick Kildea

May 27, 2015
Visit site
My Phone is a unlocked Lumia 1520, under WP 8.1, I could go 36-40 hours on a full charge. When I ran the upgrade, my battery was fully charged, and in less than 1 hour, the upgrade process completely drained the battery to "Zero". Curious to hear about others with they 1520, and your experience.

For me, I kept the phone plugged in the entire time, and the upgrade took a very long time to finalize everything once it rebooted. The latest build ran smooth, and I didn't notice any lags in the screen scrolling, or switching between Apps. However, the Phone ran very HOT! Especially around the Camera area of the body. Even after rebooting several times, the phone continued to heat up. I had read of other stories of phones "Bricking" as a result of excessive heat, so opt'd out, and rolled back to WP 8.1. Just my experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs