Agreed Waiting Room For 1520,1020,930 etc! are you waiting.???

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually I'm waiting for a new 5" flagship that will run with LTE on AT&T's network. No AMOLED please I love my Glance.
Somehow I don't think W10 is going to run all that well on my 920.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
​AMOLED has nothing to do with Glance... the 1020 has it.

It does. Depends on which type of amoled is used. The 1020 uses a lower def panel with memory and is a higher quality oled with deeper blacks. The 930 sceeen doesn't have memory nor the same black level of the 1020. Nokia was forced to use this panel because of the lack of availability because Samsung commands the majority of the panel availability.

If the new Lumia uses the same panel type as the 930 (because of a lack of availability) then you won't get glance.
So it does matter unfortunately.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It does. Depends on which type of amoled is used. The 1020 uses a lower def panel with memory and is a higher quality oled with deeper blacks. The 930 sceeen doesn't have memory nor the same black level of the 1020. Nokia was forced to use this panel because of the lack of availability because Samsung commands the majority of the panel availability.

If the new Lumia uses the same panel type as the 930 (because of a lack of availability) then you won't get glance.
So it does matter unfortunately.

Both LCDs and AMOLED panels have framebuffers that can be too small (which prevents the use of Glance), it just seems like this is more typical in the AMOLED displays.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Both LCDs and AMOLED panels have framebuffers that can be too small (which prevents the use of Glance), it just seems like this is more typical in the AMOLED displays.

Ya I'm aware of that. There just isn't a shortage of LCD panels so screen type decisions by MS matter when it comes to availability of glance 😞

Last edited:

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
*Walks in* Oh hey, there's a waiting room for Windows 10 also? I was killing myself with boredom in the *Denim update* waiting room so I may just come in here, maybe I won't be so bored... *Waves to everyone* :)

We should also lump in the 'flagship device waiting room'. Not for the release of the actual flagship, that would be insanity, just the announcement of the flagship device.

Last edited:

Jamie Thomas

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I need the technical preview that was running on the yellow 1520 in the showcasing video. if it can be showcased it good enough for me. Am starting to dislike Windows phone due to this

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I need the technical preview that was running on the yellow 1520 in the showcasing video. if it can be showcased it good enough for me. Am starting to dislike Windows phone due to this

many showcases/demos are a lot more broken under the hood than you may think. I remember either the MacWorld Halo demo, or the Halo 2 E3 demo which had crippling bugs that thankfully didn't rear their heads.

there are reasons such early builds haven't been made more widely available.
Looks like MS wants mass testing on one hardware platform to root out bigger issues before opening it up.

Look, getting a view this early in the development stage is practically unprecedented in a mass market mobile product.
So you're starting to dislike Windows Phone because they won't put out a build for your specific phone for an alpha project? (they did say that mass testing on a small device subset is normal in development, we just didn't see it before.)
Well you have nothing to switch to. Apple iOS? You gotta wait, betas are closed to developers as of now. (you could pay to get in I suppose)
Android? Let me know if they have something similar. (although I suppose nightlies of ROMs can count somewhat, the OS they're based on was already released beforehand though. Android L? Rivals the beta and Preview for Developers.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb