Factory Reset Windows 10 on Phone?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone factory reset (not flash) their Windows 10 phones after upgrading from 8.1? Does it improve performance if you start from scratch?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure it gives a clean start by doing a total reset. If you do this, I'm not sure I would restore my apps and data. Since you went with a clean reset you might just manually reload your apps. Just a suggestion should you decide to do a factory reset.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I restored after upgrading to W10 because I had to. I wasn't able to boot into W10 (boot loop). So I have no point of reference to compare them two. But I can tell that I restored my backup after reset, and all the apps downloaded fine except CloudMuzik. Had to sign in in almost all apps. The OS is smooth and responsive. I think it doesn't matter if you start from clean or you restore from backup. One thing though, the ability to manage your phone on windowsphone.com is gone. My 635 is nowhere to be found.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
One thing though, the ability to manage your phone on windowsphone.com is gone. My 635 is nowhere to be found.
Ouch! You made me look. My Lumia 635 is showing up just fine on windowsphone.com. I'm able to locate, ring my phone, etc.

crismo

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Factory Reset on Windows Phone 10 TP2 is a very bad idea.
I've made a factory reset and all apps dissapear. There are standard apps installed, i can not enter Settings because the settings menu is not shown. Everything gone wrong.

Maybe somebody can help me.

Thanks
crismo

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Factory Reset on Windows Phone 10 TP2 is a very bad idea.
I've made a factory reset and all apps dissapear. There are standard apps installed, i can not enter Settings because the settings menu is not shown. Everything gone wrong.

Maybe somebody can help me.

Thanks
crismo

Use volume keys for resetting the phone

crismo

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, it is not possible because I have no possibility to download the screenshot from the phone.
There is no data connection, also I can not open WiFi connection or Bluetooth.

I will try to reset the phone with the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to WP 8.1 and then I will follow the instructions.

crismo

crismo

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I do not have data to recover, because it is not my main phone.
Well, I use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, roll back to WP 8.1 U2 then updated again to WP 10 TP2 and following installation guide from post 10.

crismo

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
After hard resetting, Store apps cant update automatically. You'll need to go into Store and update manually. E.g, Here apps, some Extras apps.

This happened to my Lumia 1020 after hard resetting Windows 10 TP2.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
After hard resetting, Store apps cant update automatically. You'll need to go into Store and update manually. E.g, Here apps, some Extras apps.

This happened to my Lumia 1020 after hard resetting Windows 10 TP2.

How about the sms messages on your before, did you recover them after reset?

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Could you explain further? Are you on WP8.1 or WP10? Is you message backup already on?

I am on WP10. And now I would like to do a hard reset. But I dont know how to restore the backup after the reset, yes I checked the backups and theyre on.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo