Is W10P entering a pure features battle and losing its distinct design identity?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
how many occasion one uses one hand on their phone...if I am not driving then I still used 2 hand to work on my phone....

Almost mostly? We aren't going to tell people that they are holding it wrong are we?

One handed phone usage is VERY common. Especially those who text a lot, write emails, tweet etc.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Consistency and conventions are important, but providing the best ui for the form factor is also important.
A familiar and delightful UI that makes the product more attractive in the stores is important, bur ergonomics and efficiency in daily use is also important.

There is no correct UI, MS has to find a balance of objectives with trade offs. Some apps will have tabs(pivots), other apps like the Photos app shouldn't because the functions in the hamburger menu aren't frequently used. So, don't get to far into conclusions with one app.

IMO, Metro was a total failure because It was an extreme.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has heard us. Or otherwise they have SERIOUS problems. Question is, do they care? They seem to have been very responsive with the community, but we haven't heard anything about UI/UX, and that's scary.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has heard us. Or otherwise they have SERIOUS problems. Question is, do they care? They seem to have been very responsive with the community, but we haven't heard anything about UI/UX, and that's scary.
Microsoft is developing a product for 100 million people, not for 200 hipsters. They have invested billions in this business, and they're close to lose a big part of it. So, you have to understand their priorities.

Please, don't be offended with the term hipster.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Almost mostly? 1) We aren't going to tell people that they are holding it wrong are we?

One handed phone usage is VERY common. 2) Especially those who text a lot, write emails, tweet etc.

1) no, we are not

2) texting and writing email (almost all day long) is faster at 2 hand rather than one

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
how many occasion one uses one hand on their phone...if I am not driving then I still used 2 hand to work on my phone....

sKVatcN.jpg

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
took me awhile to figure out what I was looking at...

in that case I see it..but how many like this!

I had a hard time getting both hands clearly in the shot :)

WP7 and WP8 were all about simplicity. Simplicity means easy. Easy means all controls within thumb's reach. I benefit more than the next person from these design principles, but you don't need to be me to appreciate easy.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
agreed our choice...but are we going to get it???....or is it feasible.

The only way they will even realise that they aren't doing the best thing ever is if there are threads on the user voice and people get voting. We have 6-8 months in our hands to be heard or at least get the discussion going and noticed. Someone from the team could well come in and explain us much better reasons for what they are doing.

This is the most open Microsoft we've seen so as long as we are persistent, they love a dialogue!

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I had a hard time getting both hands clearly in the shot :)

WP7 and WP8 were all about simplicity. Simplicity means easy. Easy means all controls within thumb's reach. I benefit more than the next person from these design principles, but you don't need to be me to appreciate easy.

that's right....I don't think MS is thinking that way....or even if they realize it...of course to me it doesn't matter where the burger is cause I use 2 hand most of the time..

At some point I was using the Note 3 with a stylus that was sweeeeet...Stylus should exist in all phone...

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The only way they will even realise that they aren't doing the best thing ever is if there are threads on the user voice and people get voting. We have 6-8 months in our hands to be heard or at least get the discussion going and noticed. Someone from the team could well come in and explain us much better reasons for what they are doing.

This is the most open Microsoft we've seen so as long as we are persistent, they love a dialogue!

yes, that would be awesome to get the idea behind it...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL he is going to get dizzy...

why??????????? was he against?

From Entrepreneur:

Steve Jobs famously snubbed the lowly stylus. He was a fingers man.

“Who wants a stylus?” Jobs asked sarcastically when he introduced the world’s first iPhone at Macworld 2007. “You have to get ‘em and put ‘em away and you lose ‘em and -- yech!” Nobody wants a stylus. So, let’s not use a stylus.”

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Really? Are we already complaining? For the love of who ever you love, that is call -change- and everybody does it for the better or worse and as I see it is for the better.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
From Entrepreneur:

Steve Jobs famously snubbed the lowly stylus. He was a fingers man.

“Who wants a stylus?” Jobs asked sarcastically when he introduced the world’s first iPhone at Macworld 2007. “You have to get ‘em and put ‘em away and you lose ‘em and -- yech!” Nobody wants a stylus. So, let’s not use a stylus.”

oh, was he right?...I did enjoy it when I had my Note 3

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So...WinPhone as it is now is pretty much non existent in smartphone market share. Microsoft is trying to make something amazing across many devices while being familiar to majority of everyday users.... And the 4% of phone buyers are going to dictate to them not to change anything about how it works?

In the grand scheme, this is the most insignificant change, but one that could go a long way with gaining more familiarity of the 96% of the other smartphone market share users.

HAMBURGER ALL THE WAY!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss