The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-24-2015 08:14 PM
202 ... 56789
tools
    Personally I don't get why we write on paper with one hand, we have two hands, shouldn't we use both?
    I use both. I always have my left hand on the paper. It holds it in place. I bet you do too!
    skinnypig118 and a5cent like this.
    02-18-2015 07:01 AM
    Or why people use only 10% of their brain, shouldn't we use the other 30%?
    I only use 5%. The world is unfair enough as it is. 😉
    tgp and manicottiK like this.
    02-18-2015 10:27 AM
    There is a user voice thread asking to retain pivots and get rid of hamburger menus. It's got nearly 49k votes. Can we give it a push?
    Sent from my Darth V.
    02-19-2015 10:50 AM
    is the enterprise side heavier than the consumer using windows????
    02-19-2015 11:30 AM
    It seems there is clearly a divide between those who want Windows to remain a "renegade" OS in terms of design and those who want Windows to "fall in" with the other offerings to gain acceptance. Interesting choices ahead for Microsoft design teams.

Sent from my bitchin' Lumia 2520
    sahib lopez and a5cent like this.
    02-19-2015 06:23 PM
    It seems there is clearly a divide between those who want Windows to remain a "renegade" OS in terms of design and those who want Windows to "fall in" with the other offerings to gain acceptance.
    Universal Translator for Pro Metro folks: It seems there is clearly a divide between those who want Windows to remain an "exceptional" OS in terms of usability and those who want Windows to "seek mediocrity" with the other offerings to gain acceptance.

02-19-2015 07:30 PM
    Universal Translator for Pro Metro folks: It seems there is clearly a divide between those who want Windows to remain an "exceptional" OS in terms of usability and those who want Windows to "seek mediocrity" with the other offerings to gain acceptance.

I meant renegade in the good sense. It's clear that the supporters of other mobile platforms do nothing but bash live tiles and the "bland" UI. Windows 8 detractors came out of the woodwork when it was released on PCs. Hard core fans like us seem to be the only ones who dig Microsoft. I'd call that being a renegade since "maverick" makes me sick already.

That being said, we need a larger user base on the mobile front. There's no getting around that and since Microsoft is the one who pulls the purse strings, you're starting to see some mediocrity set in. You can wax poetically all you like, but at the end of the day it's all about the Benjamins.
    02-19-2015 08:26 PM
    It seems there is clearly a divide between those who want Windows to remain a "renegade" OS in terms of design and those who want Windows to "fall in" with the other offerings to gain acceptance. Interesting choices ahead for Microsoft design teams.

I guess the question is, will it gain acceptance? Or is this effectively the end of Microsoft in the mobile space, with Metro having been rejected and their new "appeasement" UI offering nothing over the competition?
    a5cent likes this.
    02-19-2015 08:29 PM
    I guess the question is, will it gain acceptance? Or is this effectively the end of Microsoft in the mobile space, with Metro having been rejected and their new "appeasement" UI offering nothing over the competition?
    Judging by the way Microsoft apps are being used, or at least downloaded, on Android and iOS it would seem as though users like what they see. The choice to have a background on Windows 10 for Phone with few, many or none of the live tiles is especially welcome. Metro lovers can have all the tiles they want and those being appeased can have a clean start screen. If that's not enough to win over some converts, I don't know what else they could do. Even the most ardent anti-MS bloggers praise the fluid operation of the OS but almost every one of them hates the tiles. Bada Boom, Bada Bing!
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-19-2015 08:56 PM
    We all know that Microsoft is a little slow, but five years should be enough to learn how to design a smartphone. If Microsoft insists with Metro and its inferior user experience, WP will die.
    The competition in the smartphone market is increasing, not only Android and iOS are improving, new products are entering the market. The probability of surviving with an inferior product like WP is zero.
    02-19-2015 09:19 PM
    I prefer the modern and easy to use innovative modern user interface and design language of Windows Phone (not the haphazard windows 8.0/8.1) over the old tired chicklet icons we all had in the past. Yes, change is hard and scary for some people, especially at first, for the masses. Everyone must decide for themselves, follow and copy or improve and innovate.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 02-19-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    02-19-2015 10:26 PM
    We all know that Microsoft is a little slow, but five years should be enough to learn how to design a smartphone. If Microsoft insists with Metro and its inferior user experience, WP will die.
    The competition in the smartphone market is increasing, not only Android and iOS are improving, new products are entering the market. The probability of surviving with an inferior product like WP is zero.
    If we can't beat them let's join them, is that it?

Let's not kid ourselves, after 5 years we're not going to be converting any significant number of Android/iOS users to the platform with a copycat UI. As for new users, when they are presented with 2 OS that have similar look and feel, how are they going to choose? Android has a larger user base and app base, the choice will be obvious.

As you say Android and iOS are improving, which is more the reason MS should not throw everything away and start again from scratch. They should embrace the high points of what Metro has to offer (style and usability) and improve upon them.
    a5cent and Kram Sacul like this.
    02-20-2015 08:12 AM
    Judging by the way Microsoft apps are being used, or at least downloaded, on Android and iOS it would seem as though users like what they see. The choice to have a background on Windows 10 for Phone with few, many or none of the live tiles is especially welcome. Metro lovers can have all the tiles they want and those being appeased can have a clean start screen. If that's not enough to win over some converts, I don't know what else they could do. Even the most ardent anti-MS bloggers praise the fluid operation of the OS but almost every one of them hates the tiles. Bada Boom, Bada Bing!

Right but the Microsoft apps on ios and android conform to those platforms UI guidelines so its more a case of the functionality being the draw rather than Microsoft's UI. So if Windows 10 is just more of the same what's the attraction for these users? And with less of what WP users like about the platform what's their incentive to stay?

As you say Android and iOS are improving, which is more the reason MS should not throw everything away and start again from scratch.
    This is another key point, ios and android keep improving by building on what they've done before while Microsoft keeps restarting from scratch which leaves them perpetually catching up. They should stick to what their platform represents and build on that not tear it down and start over yet again.
    a5cent and skinnypig118 like this.
    02-20-2015 08:23 AM
    If we can't beat them let's join them, is that it?

Let's not kid ourselves, after 5 years we're not going to be converting any significant number of Android/iOS users to the platform with a copycat UI. As for new users, when they are presented with 2 OS that have similar look and feel, how are they going to choose? Android has a larger user base and app base, the choice will be obvious.
    The current situation is unsustainable, Microsoft is losing $400 million per quarter and selling just 10 million devices. People don't like WP, marketing spending and low prices aren't enough to make them buy the product.
    People is not choosing WP because of Metro, sales in the high-end segment are insignificant. Most sales are cheap phones that work fine in low end hardware.

It's difficult to enter in mature markets, but there is a good opportunity in emerging markets. However, Metro is not good for that strategy, the design is unfamiliar for the low-end segment.
    If Tizen becomes the alternative to Android in the segment where the iPhone doesn't compete, WP is done.

It's a good time to change course with WP. It's Windows 10, the big jump from W8. Apps have to reconditioned to become Universal. And more important, It's probably the last chance for WP.
    Attached Thumbnails india.png   bangladesh.png  
    Last edited by tiziano27; 02-21-2015 at 07:37 AM.
    02-21-2015 07:26 AM
    The current situation is unsustainable, Microsoft is losing $400 million per quarter and selling just 10 million devices. People don't like WP, marketing spending and low prices aren't enough to make them buy the product.
    People is not choosing WP because of Metro, sales in the high-end segment are insignificant. Most sales are cheap phones that work fine in low end hardware.

It's difficult to enter in mature markets, but there is a good opportunity in emerging markets. However, Metro is not good for that strategy, the design is unfamiliar for the low-end segment.
    If Tizen becomes the alternative to Android in the segment where the iPhone doesn't compete, WP is done.

It's a good time to change course with WP. It's Windows 10, the big jump from W8. Apps have to reconditioned to become Universal. And more important, It's probably the last chance for WP.

Okay.. Agree with you. But can you show the statistics where it shows WP is failing because of UI and not because of lack of apps or quality of apps?
    manicottiK and Kram Sacul like this.
    02-21-2015 07:41 AM
    I'm pretty sure it lags behind because it's different and not because of lack of apps.
    manicottiK likes this.
    02-21-2015 07:49 AM
    ^^I don't know what part of the world you're in but in the US, salespeople don't even show WP devices so how would anybody know it's different?

02-21-2015 03:40 PM
    It was because of those differences that people enjoyed it. It was refreshing compared to the other options (webOS aside).
    02-21-2015 03:57 PM
    Well at least in east Europe where I am, if I say to someone how nice WP is, I always get same answer ... Uhh I don't know, how to even use it ...
    ( but yeah, being different is what got me into WP wagon since wp 7.5 age, oh yes and fluidity)
    02-21-2015 04:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure it lags behind because it's different and not because of lack of apps.
    It's because of both, among other things.
    02-25-2015 11:21 PM
    It's lack of apps. The fact that it's different actually draws people in. As long as they keep one-handibility in W10 then I'm ok with it. I never realised how smart Microsoft were with the UI until the Windows 10 preview.
    03-04-2015 06:12 PM
    I would caution us away from the dramatic tone. I've used the Win10 preview for phones and yes, it looks different but it's still very much the Windows phone system I've come to love. In fact it looks more polished and elegant, even in its current unfinished state. OK, so we're changing pivots for hamburger menus, big deal. The design language remains largely unaffected and if it'll make the experience better overall, so be it.

People have to learn to let go accept that NOTHING stays the same, everything evolves. Win10 for phones will evolve, and it will be different, and most likely it'll be better thanks to MS's years of experience, not worse.

Move on with the times I say. No point on clinging to horse carriages when there's Teslas these days.
    Dk92 and Nicholas Maguire like this.
    03-05-2015 08:02 AM
    Creating a new identity
    03-05-2015 11:48 AM
    I today saw it on my friend's Lumia 730 as it is not yet available for my 920. All the menu placement on top is the worst thing they have done. Renders the 730 unusable with one hand. And I am not supposed to use my both hands for a simple thing as handling the phone. From 8.1 to 10 is such a big downgrade. Before I tried it, I was just upset for Metro. But after using it, seems that the issue is pretty much beyond that. Desktop UI on a phone is a completely idiotic idea. For ex. If I have to tap speed dial in the phone app, I fear I may never use it because it is cumbersome to stretch hand and press a button. Pivot is much more functional yet beautiful.
    sent from my LUMIA 920
    03-05-2015 01:13 PM
    why its Microsoft using hamburgers, there is nothing wrong with the 3 dots, don't you guys agree. They should just replace the dots icon with a hamburger if Microsoft really want a hamburger icon. That way, everyone would be happy, don't you guys agree?

Sent from my awesome Lumia 735
    03-17-2015 01:00 PM
202 ... 56789