WIn 10 map app

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues with it. I had used Lumia Storage Check in 8.1 to store my apps on my SD card. Apparently that's not compatible with W10 preview for phones. Now I'll have to download my maps from scratch, except I don't have enough internal storage to do that. Has anyone been able to get Windows 10 Maps to work from the SD card?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Offline Maps (Here Maps) and Translations (Bing) seem to need to be re-installed BUMMER...only successful offline on SD card was Offline Wikipedia and programs moved there. They no longer let you pick ALL of USA for example ..you have to go region by region. You are correct as of now all maps regardless of settings go to phone storage... I put in feedback this unfortunate change.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Not being able to put maps on the SD card is a game changer for me. This needs to be fixed ASAP, along with getting reminders to start working again. Those are the 2 things I use the most with my phone. Won't make me roll-back, but will make me looking eagerly for fixes as they arrive. After all, I have to keep reporting so that we can get the right stuff in the final version, right? If that were not my intent, I never would have opted to install, because I would hate dealing with bugs on my daily driver.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It'll get fixed, think of it this way its a new OS and they rolled out to us the FIRST public beta. So things like SD integration and Cortana is a basic version of her similar to the one in Tech Preview Windows 10 9926. So I am not worried at all..I knew there would be bugs BUT that's the price you pay for trudging ahead as a tester. Much is better so i go with that until the next update.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
But is this also not "standard" in 8.1 and only with some "trick" you can move them to your SD card.

Yes, with the Lumia Storage Check tool, which had all the same look and features of Storage Sense except it let you assign maps to SD card. It was beta, and was supposed to be made final. I noticed on my phone today that it is no longer beta, however. It did "reinstall" after Win10 upgrade, so perhaps there is a Win10 version of it that's not a beta, which means they may be working on it. I certainly hope so.

I'm going to be going dark here in the next half hour or so. Will be doing a hard reset on the new Win10 install and see if I can get a fresher copy of Win10 to ease the lag I've been experiencing. Others say it fixed the lag for them and that it runs smooth as butter after doing that. I've got to at least give it a shot. Who knows, maybe other things will start working better. I'll retest maps after I do that.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Working now on it. Reset is completed. Went into the about in settings and did the hard reset. Let the gears spin while I drove to a place in town with Wi-Fi, so that I could "re-download" my apps without using all my data. I also wanted to download some maps without using the data.

It's running, and I'm downloading a map for my state right now. Man... it came back smooth as butter. Runs faster than 8.1, less lag than 8.1. Loving it.

I didn't do a restore, I did a clean reset, so I'll have to go to the trouble of "resetting" everything up the way I like it. That's okay, I took notes on what needs to be done first. Not my first rodeo. It will give me something to do this weekend.

No more "resuming" screen. Before the reset, it just gives a blank "accent colored" screen for a few seconds while a screen loads. That is now gone as well. I did manage to see a "Loading..." screen, but it was very brief. Not near as bad as on 8.1. The accent colored screen and delay is gone.

I can't really tell if there are any updates to maps. There IS an update to the maps "settings", but not too sure about the app itself. The settings will no longer allow you to download the entire US map at once. You now have to choose one at a time. It is identical to the maps in W10TP for desktop.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Working now on it. Reset is completed. Went into the about in settings and did the hard reset. Let the gears spin while I drove to a place in town with Wi-Fi, so that I could "re-download" my apps without using all my data. I also wanted to download some maps without using the data.

It's running, and I'm downloading a map for my state right now. Man... it came back smooth as butter. Runs faster than 8.1, less lag than 8.1. Loving it.

I didn't do a restore, I did a clean reset, so I'll have to go to the trouble of "resetting" everything up the way I like it. That's okay, I took notes on what needs to be done first. Not my first rodeo. It will give me something to do this weekend.

No more "resuming" screen. Before the reset, it just gives a blank "accent colored" screen for a few seconds while a screen loads. That is now gone as well. I did manage to see a "Loading..." screen, but it was very brief. Not near as bad as on 8.1. The accent colored screen and delay is gone.

I can't really tell if there are any updates to maps. There IS an update to the maps "settings", but not too sure about the app itself. The settings will no longer allow you to download the entire US map at once. You now have to choose one at a time. It is identical to the maps in W10TP for desktop.

So resetting the phone actually gets rid of the screen flashes? And hope the maps let you put them on the sd card for ya.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So resetting the phone actually gets rid of the screen flashes? And hope the maps let you put them on the sd card for ya.

It got rid of the screen flashes for me. I was surprised to see a "Loading..." screen, but it didn't last near as long as the old "Resuming" screen.

I've still got a lot of apps queued for download, so it may be a while before I can test downloading maps to SD. Right now, I'm downloading apps I want on the phone. Then I'll put the SD back in and download more apps to that, and test the maps. It will probably be a good 12 hours or so before I get a chance to test it, because it's getting quite late here, and I'm getting very tired. When this round finishes, I'm going to pack up and go home.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, okay, I stayed up a bit longer.

No go. The maps can not currently be done on the SD card. I'm disappointed, but have hope. Let's all make sure we put this into the uservoice and feedback for the good folks at Microsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077