[Experimental] Install W10 on ANY phone running 8.1

Erwin0723

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure, but there was definitely progress after 20 minutes.
Now,almost 1,5 hour and still downloading 0% without any progress :'(
EDIT: it's take 2,5 hour only for downloading,but i guess it's because im not using wifi but mobile data,finally :)

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just finished installing it on my AT&T 920. I ended up having to do a reset with the Lumia Software Recovery Tool. It went as far as downloading the W10TP update before doing the reset, but it failed. Since there were warnings that it might be necessary, I did the reset and then went through all the steps again. This time it worked perfectly! This phone isn't my daily driver so I won't be trying out everything, but what I've done so far seems to work.

I also have an AT&T 520 with a CV ROM flashed on it. I couldn't get that one to work. I'm not going to worry about it for now.

anon(5680040)

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I mean using the experimental method.
You just run Lumia software recovery and that's it?
Without modifying anything?
The Lumia tool recognizes the device properly?
Thanks

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I just finished installing it on my AT&T 920. I ended up having to do a reset with the Lumia Software Recovery Tool. It went as far as downloading the W10TP update before doing the reset, but it failed. Since there were warnings that it might be necessary, I did the reset and then went through all the steps again. This time it worked perfectly! This phone isn't my daily driver so I won't be trying out everything, but what I've done so far seems to work.

I also have an AT&T 520 with a CV ROM flashed on it. I couldn't get that one to work. I'm not going to worry about it for now.

I have a 920 AT&T I am going to load it to and test it out. Also not a daily driver. This one has a cracked screen, and I was going to replace the screen, then do it. But, being the doofus I am, I tore the cable for the digitizer, so I have to wait until Monday when a new screen comes in.

Interested to hear if you notice anything.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Could you give a step by step guide? And is this working for indian rom? And flaws??

Here's a quote from Microsoft Windows Insider program: "We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think APN is a cable news network, Technical Preview may not be right for you. "

"We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you."

If you can't figure it out by yourself then I strongly suggest not installing it at all and just wait for either the "Developer Preview" or the official release at the end of the year.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Finally installed it on my GB CV 1520...

It took a few goes and a bit of lateral thinking, as I don't think the instructions are that clear, and I'm no newbie...
I used the 'Chinese Method' to force the update.

Seems OK. A few things are buggy and unfinished, but it is the first version, so we'll see. I've also had a few more updates too. No idea what they were, but it's running pretty good.

I'll be using this as my my main device to really test it. Liking what I've seen so far...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw that XDA dropped a post claiming this could happen on any phone but I believe in shared sacrifice. Meaning, when MS drops this officially for the 1520 and the forum goes in, I'll go in then. Not because XDA is bored. On my 920 however...! muhahahaha

jackxlj2

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
i did this on my att L1520, it shows as 1520 correctly again,had a few updates, and so far,so good.i did a clean install,then factory reset after install,restored apps,data etc. seems smooth, this is my daily driver,so will report back tomorrow after i use it all day while at work. FWIW, i got an email from ms thanking me for reporting the w10 bug on my lumia 1520,so they obviously have little desire to hinder us playing with the new toy that are making for us

sstiwari

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I mean using the experimental method.
You just run Lumia software recovery and that's it?
Without modifying anything?
The Lumia tool recognizes the device properly?
Thanks

Yup, my AT&T Lumia 1520 is being recognized properly in LRT and WRT both with Windows 10 TP using XDA Method.

Glad that I even did not need to reset the phone coz it already had more than 600mb free in system partition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers