Someone needs to send this to Microsoft

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Praxius;2988499

The phone she had before the 1320 was the Galaxy S4, which isn't much of a small phone either and was full of hamburgers and hotdogs.

LOLOLOLOLOL

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Security doesn't sell.

Exactly! Until reading this phrase right here, I thought I was the only person in history to say this on WCentral. While security indeed sounds like an important bullet point, users don't care about it. Windows on PCs are just like Android in mobile; almost all of the market share with almost all of the security breaches. And by nature the largest market will be the biggest target, hence the least secure statistically.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well, you know

sometimes people eat a icecream... or use umbrella, carry bags, hold a water bottle

and umbrella? i drop and get wet?

pathetic argument

This is equally pathetic from the other side of the coin. Now we have to suppose that every able 2 handed individual will have one hand occupied at each and every moment they also want to use their smart phone?

Look: I'm all for convenience and ergonomics - but a demand that everything be within reach of the average thumb span of users on a touch screen device is not just ignoring the other hand, it also ignores all the other digits of the one hand people are insisting is all they can afford to divert from other tasks...

Would it be nice if one digit was all that was needed for operation? Sure. Should it be mandated into design? I don't think so.

To presuppose that all operation of a smart phone will occur with one digit and no effort to reposition that one hand is patently absurd.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Well, my opinion is if you want to use a phone one handed then get a phone that fits your hand. That is why I have a Icon... I can use it one handed comfortably when I need to. The 1520 just didn't fit me when I tried it though I loved the bigger screen. The 930 was not available so Verizon got my business at the time.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
and umbrella? i drop and get wet?

pathetic argument

Use a jacket with a hood. I can't remember the last time I ever used an umbrella. I don't like having a hand occupied simply for holding something over my head, when I can pull a hood over my head and go about my day hands free.

They take a hand to hold the whole time, they easily get destroyed by the moderate of winds and I can't count how many times I have been PO'd by some ***** on the sidewalk with a giant umbrella taking up most of the path with their umbrella. As I'm tall, the pointy ends of the rods holding the umbrella open are usually at my eye level and have had several umbrella wisk near my eyes or scratch me in the face.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
This is equally pathetic from the other side of the coin. Now we have to suppose that every able 2 handed individual will have one hand occupied at each and every moment they also want to use their smart phone?

Look: I'm all for convenience and ergonomics - but a demand that everything be within reach of the average thumb span of users on a touch screen device is not just ignoring the other hand, it also ignores all the other digits of the one hand people are insisting is all they can afford to divert from other tasks...

Would it be nice if one digit was all that was needed for operation? Sure. Should it be mandated into design? I don't think so.

To presuppose that all operation of a smart phone will occur with one digit and no effort to reposition that one hand is patently absurd.

For those people wanting to only have to use just a thumb and one hand for their phone, they should go and get a Blackberry Pearl or another old phone without touch screen tech.

Think about it. They don't want to have to touch or reach to touch any of the top section of their screens. If that's the case then why have that area as a touch screen at all and why not just have it as a normal display area?

If you do that then why not just go back to an old phone with a keypad and an old display where you can reach everything with one thumb?

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Use a jacket with a hood. I can't remember the last time I ever used an umbrella. I don't like having a hand occupied simply for holding something over my head, when I can pull a hood over my head and go about my day hands free.

They take a hand to hold the whole time, they easily get destroyed by the moderate of winds and I can't count how many times I have been PO'd by some ***** on the sidewalk with a giant umbrella taking up most of the path with their umbrella. As I'm tall, the pointy ends of the rods holding the umbrella open are usually at my eye level and have had several umbrella wisk near my eyes or scratch me in the face.

great

I will change my suit for a goretex jacket

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The people defending the hamburger think they are so smart with their ten paragraph responses... But the truth is what they say doesn't makes sense or is really stupid, there's lots and lots of situation when one hand is inevitable occupied... "stop eating, drinking, holding bags, holding books, holding your kids"

Are you even for real?... I really wish you are just trolling...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! Until reading this phrase right here, I thought I was the only person in history to say this on WCentral. While security indeed sounds like an important bullet point, users don't care about it. Windows on PCs are just like Android in mobile; almost all of the market share with almost all of the security breaches. And by nature the largest market will be the biggest target, hence the least secure statistically.

*cough* so close to a like *cough*, but your last sentence killed it... you know why... :wink:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
*cough* so close to a like *cough*, but your last sentence killed it... you know why... :wink:

Sorry, I don't know why. I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. What's wrong with my last sentence? You'll have to explain it to me!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows on PCs are just like Android in mobile; almost all of the market share with almost all of the security breaches. And by nature the largest market will be the biggest target, hence the least secure statistically.
Sorry, I don't know why. I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. What's wrong with my last sentence? You'll have to explain it to me!

Hmm... maybe I'm mistaken. Sorry, I thought we once discussed this via PM. Think of it as a cost-benefit equation:

AOSP Android = very high benefit / medium cost. = 1.2
Windows Desktop = high benefit / low cost. = 1
WP = almost no benefit / very high cost. = 0.0001

Market share can compensate for a low ratio, but only to a certain degree. It's certainly not the only measure of an ecosystem's vulnerability. That Windows Desktop and Android are similarly insecure is true. However, concluding from their shared popularity that those vulnerabilities are primarily a function of market share is a classic case of correlation without causation. Once a system is compartmentalized to the degree that even a successful infection doesn't lead to much of value, the prospect of infecting half a million devices loses most of its allure.

WP is the only consumer OS (not only mobile OSes) that was designed from the ground up with security in mind. That's not a meaningless difference. Stated in plainer words:

If 1000 people are coming for you with knives, you are free to prefer the small-target cardboard box for your protection, in exchange for only having to deal with four or five assailants. In such a situation I'll gladly take the large-target tank, even if that means facing the remaining 995.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
The people defending the hamburger think they are so smart with their ten paragraph responses... But the truth is what they say doesn't makes sense or is really stupid, there's lots and lots of situation when one hand is inevitable occupied... "stop eating, drinking, holding bags, holding books, holding your kids"

Are you even for real?... I really wish you are just trolling...

Great refute. One explains with a counter argument using common sense & logic and your response is they're stupid.

*clap clap* bravo.

If you are carrying a child or carrying groceries, or carrying books or eating a meal, what exactly is soooo important on your phone that you need to do it right then and there with one hand, using one thumb?

Browsing your photo album which is where the menu is located?

Don't you think that can wait??

I suspect an argument will come where someone will say they're holding their baby and there's an emergency. Use the phone, call 911 or 000 or whatever it is in your country and do so... Hamburger menu not required.

When you face a situation where one hand is the only option, think for a second. Is what you want to do that important that you need to do it right then and there or can it wait a couple of minutes?

Or can you put your food down for a second and push the damn button? Put the books down?

Is it really that important that you need to do what you need on your phone while holding your child that obviously needs your actual attention, which is why it is in your arms in the first place?

Speaking as an actual parent and someone who has gone through all of your listed situations, your arguments are not really that good.

But go ahead and counter by calling me stupid again. Cuz that wins arguments.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... maybe I'm mistaken. Sorry, I thought we once discussed this via PM. Think of it as a cost-benefit equation:

AOSP Android = very high benefit / medium cost. = 1.2
Windows Desktop = high benefit / low cost. = 1
WP = almost no benefit / very high cost. = 0.0001

Market share can compensate for a low ratio, but only to a certain degree. It's certainly not the only measure of an ecosystem's vulnerability. That Windows Desktop and Android are similarly insecure is true. However, concluding from their shared popularity that those vulnerabilities are primarily a function of market share is a classic case of correlation without causation. Once a system is compartmentalized to the degree that even a successful infection doesn't lead to much of value, the prospect of infecting half a million devices loses most of its allure.

WP is the only consumer OS (not only mobile OSes) that was designed from the ground up with security in mind. That's not a meaningless difference. Stated in plainer words:

If 1000 people are coming for you with knives, you are free to prefer the small-target cardboard box for your protection, in exchange for only having to deal with four or five assailants. In such a situation I'll gladly take the large-target tank, even if that means facing the remaining 995.

Not that security has anything to do with the OP, but I don't totally agree. We'll have to leave it there.

We do agree that users in general don't care about security. So why does it matter if Windows (PC) and Android aren't as secure? I work in IT, and customers occasionally come in with PCs that have the FBI virus or the NSA virus or Cryptolocker. Too many of them have given credit card data or have lost their data to encryption. It sounds to me like an excellent reason to ditch all Windows PC and go Mac or Linux.

Sounds different now, doesn't it? :wink:

I have never in my life heard of someone who has been exploited from an Android device, even though it's way more numerous than Windows PCs. I have of course read about it, but never seen it personally. I bet nobody else here has either. I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it's nearly as big of a problem as haters would like to make it sound. Sure you can read about it all you want, either from sites promoting Microsoft or Apple, or from scaremongering security developer reports.

Windows? I've seen it many times.

Again, like we agreed, who cares?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05