Someone needs to send this to Microsoft

Laurman

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Since there are three types of people: Lefties, righties and those who think it's normal to use maximum amount of limbs to do simple tasks. W10p should have option where you can determine which hand you are likely going to use. Based on that apps can mirror some buttons, for example lefties got their three dot menu on the left side and righties vice versa..

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Moving more than one finger onto your phone's screen is that difficult. Dear God, I never realized!!! :winktongue:
I know you were joking, probably because I've been learning how you think on this forums. But, you got me to thinking about something more serious... How do these "one-handers" use the zoom controls? Or play games that require multiple fingers or 2 hands?
There are more examples of "two-handed controls" even in the old UI, but I don't hear people complaining, because they already learned how to adapt to those.

Actually, it is if you are using your other hand for something else like holding a drink, etc.
Hey, drinking and texting is a bad idea. You're liable to text your wife something you meant to send to your girlfriend, then you're really gonna be in a world of hurt. For God's sake! Put down the drink!
Rain and hot dogs and umbrellas....
that's only on the first page...

I guess I will not continue Reading this thread.
Yeah, I've been discouraged by the lack of talk about hot dogs myself. I just keep telling myself, "I'm trying to quit anyway."
It's funny how people complain about this and put the "but what if my hand is busy and I can't reach"... well, not always you have your hands busy and not always you will navigate with your thumb, also... this is only a photos App, the main view will show you all photos, you can easily scroll up and down and find your photo if you really need it while eating and ice-cream or holding an umbrella.

I am glad most people here have two hands... I mean, I am sure there are people who had an accident or were born without arms or just one, or something. thank god, you are not that person, if you complain, having two hands how hard is to navigate.... I can't imagine how complainer you would be about everything if you only had one hand or none. have you ever seen those amazing artist painting and writing with their feet and doing all that? well I am sure you would be the ones complaining and never trying to do anything. it's just a hamburger menu, it Works, you can move your hand and fingers if you need to tap on it or use your other hand.

stop making excuses, stop pretending the world turns around you. stop pretending you can't adapt to a small change that will not kill you. maybe at least if you move your hands a little more you will at least exercise your fingers and stop being lazy. I wonder how many complaining have used Win10 TP on their phones, and how many have just seen photos and videos and are complaining without trying to adapt.
Wow.... just... thanks for that.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the side that thinks if you bought a 6 inch phone and are complaining about having to use 2 hands, you should buy a phone more your size. Also, I was thinking the same thing as the person who said what's the point of that screen space if you don't want them to use it? Do you think they're shouldn't be anything you have to touch at the top of the screen? I use 4.3 - 5 inch phones and even I use two hands sometimes. I love the new UI's so far in Windows 10. You 6 inchers are getting worse than the "wen in India" guys.

if you read my post you'll see i have a lumia 1020 which is 4.5 inches, i myself use two hands sometimes with phone no doubt, no i'm not saying that there shouldn't be anything that i shouldn't touch at top of the screen,in win 8.1 you usually use one hand and bring down the notification menu, should we change the UI whereby we use both hands to get simple functions done as compared to before as using one hand, for instance the Dialer in the Phone app has been changed, instead of it being bigger like before the numbers are smaller which would help with small hands, but why take away simple swiping from left to right to access history or speed dial, and having us stretch to the top to directly select it?

phonedialerscomparison.png

cantswipeinphoneapp.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Having read through the entire thread, I would suggest before jumping to conclusions actually use the preview for a month as a daily driver before deeming what is acceptable or unacceptable. As You may start to appreciate the hamburger icon there, you may not.

Using it for a few days is not indicative for an actual use case... you must actually use the phone and become familiar with all its idiosyncrasies before calling yourself an expert (I'm not saying I am, far from it) / stating your opinions as facts.

Also the issue about cycling through layers with back button, reminds me of the back stack prior MS implementing closing apps on the task switcher. You had to mash the back button back several times to close the app; I would rather use the preview myself before slamming it.

There are times when one handed operation is absolutely essential i.e taking notes whilst on the landline and responding to a text or email. As a former property manager I can tell you there have been countless time critical scenarios. If you aren't a hands-on property manager, then you are just a glorified call rep.

One of the posters mentioned, putting the phone down and tending to your child and that I agree with. As you simply can use the speaker phone to multitask. I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't answer your phone whilst eating a) it is not polite b) you become *inaudible* to put it mildly. Plus if your having dinner, lunch breakfast etc then your phone really should be in your pocket not the table:
A) manners
B) As you don't run the risk of spilling something (or someone else) on your phone and ending up with a paper weight.

As RumouredNow mentioned in an earlier post, we humans are by nature are adaptable. Some people don't like change as change comes at a price; never the less it is inevitable as the nature of technology is progressive. MS are moving to design which they feel is progressive and which will appeal to a variety of audiences. You don't need to go beyond the xbox one controller to see which direction they were heading; never the less even if they ship with the hamburger icons; don't forget these are update-able universal store apps.

Lastly, majority of the smartphone UX design being geared to right handers I imagine that is because either majority of the testers are right handers, ambidextrous or are left handers who have adapted to using a smartphone with their right hand (I know plenty of lefties who use their phones with their right hands). Personally I would say the world in general in terms is geared to right hand use. i.e most kitchenware, scissors, certain mouse models, certain ring binders, certain physical notepads, the location of the trackpad in laptops and so on.

In regards to posters who are saying the UX is the reason for the global market share of windows phone, to them I say the UX is the last unique spelling point (USP) Windows phone has (Cortana is equivalent OK Google / Google Now so not Unique) therefore do some first hand analytical market research before assuming that is the case as. I am not going in depth or will list the reasons why, as it would mean this essay of a post will just get longer.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Of course, two-handed use is common, but the OS should strive to not require both hands for general use. WP7 and 8 generally succeeded at this because their model of tabs allowed side swipes from anywhere on screen. iOS succeeded because they put the tab bar at the bottom. Android failed, but is recovering because its newest UX guidance suggests that swipes be used where possible.

The current preview on my 4.5" test device certainly feels less usable in one hand than any Windows phone that I've had. Some of that is because of the need to reach all over the screen. Some is because of what I choose to think of as a defect in the hamburger menu implementation as relates to the back stack.

No one is saying that occasionally using two hands is bad. Many of us are saying that generally requiring two hands is bad.

Whether it's hamburgers in general, where UI elements are placed, how the Photos hamburger is acting with respect to the back stack, or anything else, usability at this early stage looks worse rather than improved. As such, it's worth making note now that we appear to have taken a wrong turn rather than driving for four more months before we realize that we were supposed to turn back in January.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Quick question to the people who don't like to "stretch" to the top: Do you not use the notification center either? I mean, I personally don't care one way or the other, but it seems to me like the notification center would be worse compared to a hamburger menu for one-handed use.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Quick question to the people who don't like to "stretch" to the top: Do you not use the notification center either?
I don't dislike the notification center, but I don't go into it regularly thus I don't have to "stretch" for it very often.

I use the quick settings very infrequently (all radios are on at all times, screen is set to auto -- what is everyone adjusting so often ;) When I do notice the notification icon appear in the status bar, I sometimes tap the Windows key to see my if main tiles have anything to tell me. If they don't, whatever notification triggered the icon can wait, so I press the Back key and resume what I was doing. When I have time free, I might swipe down to see what's there or to clear the icon.

I don't mind the gesture being a "stretch" because it isn't needed to operate apps -- indeed, it is specifically outside of apps. Because that function is wanted, but not actually needed, it's OK that it be more difficult to use (as much as any of this stuff is actually difficult). I don't want to have to make that kind of a reach to change tabs (as the new Photos app does) and I don't want to render the Back button useless by filling the back stack with junk (as the new Photo app does when you change "tabs").

Oddly, while many folks are complaining about W10 mimicking Android, the latest Android UX guidelines suggest that swipe gestures be used to change tabs and note that tabs are NOT "places" and thus changing tabs should not add an entry to the back stack. W10 isn't mimicking Android, it appears to be swapping places with it from a UX perspective. (Of course, this assumes that one app's really bad implementation is representative of what MS hopes to deliver and that Android developers really start to embrace a better form of UX. I suspect that neither is actually true.)

Athul Paul

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hamburger button is from android right? Why no one noticed about it?
Almost all android apps have those kind of buttons and its very sad and annoying to see them on windows 10. Why can't Microsoft use their old and simple windows phone 8.x design. Anyway it wasn't bad at all and that's what made windows stand out from other OS.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Attachments

• 47565.jpg
    47565.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 47564.jpg
    47564.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 47562.jpg
    47562.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 121

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There are times when one handed operation is absolutely essential i.e taking notes whilst on the landline and responding to a text or email. As a former property manager I can tell you there have been countless time critical scenarios. If you aren't a hands-on property manager, then you are just a glorified call rep.
Yes, there are. Because of this thread, I have been purposefully trying to use my phone with one hand as I do other things. I have discovered that there are a number of things that I have been doing one handed and didn't realize until I became conscious of it. Things I wouldn't necessarily recommend for others to do one handed. I'll discuss that toward the bottom of this post after all the quotes.

As RumouredNow mentioned in an earlier post, we humans are by nature are adaptable. Some people don't like change as change comes at a price; never the less it is inevitable as the nature of technology is progressive. MS are moving to design which they feel is progressive and which will appeal to a variety of audiences. You don't need to go beyond the xbox one controller to see which direction they were heading; never the less even if they ship with the hamburger icons; don't forget these are update-able universal store apps.
Yes, we are adaptable. Also, to be expanded below, because it goes with the one above.

Lastly, majority of the smartphone UX design being geared to right handers I imagine that is because either majority of the testers are right handers, ambidextrous or are left handers who have adapted to using a smartphone with their right hand (I know plenty of lefties who use their phones with their right hands). Personally I would say the world in general in terms is geared to right hand use. i.e most kitchenware, scissors, certain mouse models, certain ring binders, certain physical notepads, the location of the trackpad in laptops and so on.

Yes, the majority are right-handed persons, which has helped me to come to a very surprising conclusion about which hand I use for my phone.

Okay, now for my discussion, which will touch on all the above.

I have discovered that when I am just using my phone casually, I'll use my right hand "most" of the time. However, any time I am doing something else that is a "primary" action, (such as taking notes, opening a door, etc.) I find that I have my phone in my left hand and that I am as capable using it in my left hand as in my right. I don't know how or when that happened, but it is something I noticed as I have been more conscious of it since starting participation in this thread.

You must also realize that when I first got the phone, I was unable to use it in one hand and even found it difficult to use with two hands without dropping it. Why? Because the Lumia 635 comes with a very slick case. I also have short fingers which exacerbates the problem. What did I do about this? I adapted. Or, should I say, I started by adapting my phone. I bought a rugged case that has ribs on the back of it, and a good rubberized feel that makes it quite easy to grip with one hand without dropping it.

With this case, I have adapted to become very nimble with it. I can, using my fingers on the backside of the phone, manipulate the phone up and down quickly in order to reach all areas of the phone, without ever losing balance of the phone. Can everyone adapt to this? I doubt it. I'm sure that some could, but it takes using the proper tools. Tools are the main way man has adapted to things since the beginning of time. My tool was a case. I didn't really purchase it so much to be able to use the phone with one hand, I got the case to keep it from being so slippery, because I was unable to even hold the phone without a case.

Now, the case made the phone bigger, and harder to reach areas of the screen. I have, however, adapted to reach. Having the short fingers has made me learn how to do a lot of things differently from the way other people do things, but I've learned how to get things to work. I do find myself preferring to use two hands whenever possible.

If I'm busy with my hands in most cases, I don't need to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone because I have a Voyager Legend Bluetooth headset that I wear all day long. There are some people that say, "I wouldn't be caught dead out in public with that headset protruding out of my ear." To them I say, "It sure looks better than a large phone covering half my face everywhere I go." Honestly, some people can't seem to walk in public without a large phone constantly up against their face. I know most people don't like to wear headsets, but this one is comfortable for me, it is waterproof, stops background and wind noise quite well, and I can use my voice to answer or reject calls. That means I never have to touch my phone if I receive a call or a text. (Cortana handles the text part quite nicely, my Bluetooth handles answering or rejecting the call.) That means I can keep washing the car, changing the spark plugs, changing a diaper, or even washing dishes. We all hate to have to grab our phone if we've got our hands either greasy or soapy, or even something else while changing a diaper. Yeah, been there.

I find that I only need to pull my phone out when calling into a customer service center, and I have to press "1" or "5" or whatever, as far as making calls go. When it comes to "non phone call features", there are some of those I need to get out the phone to handle the phone for. However, Cortana keeps me from having to do very much handling, which I really like. Now that I can dictate emails, things have gotten even easier.

95% of the time, when I need to use my hands for my phone at all in Windows 10, it is because I am either checking emails while I'm out, which is rare, or because I've decided to play a game. Oh, and since the Windows 10 tech preview, I am also having to use my hands to manually open and check the weather, because Cortana no longer knows my accurate location. She's now locating me by my IP address instead of my GPS location. ?!? Irritating. I can't ask her for current temperature, forecast, or anything, because she gives it to me for another state (which varies which state). I'll be glad when that's fixed. Every other app knows my correct location except Cortana, and she's the one I need it for the most.

Pressing the call button while not in a call will bring up Cortana. This is a must have for me. I don't have to pull out my phone. Heck, my phone can be on a table in the next room, and I don't have to worry about it in most cases. And, with the battery life on this preview, it is in the next room on the charger a lot of the time, so I'm very dependent on my Bluetooth headset, Cortana, and some other speech enabled apps that I use.

As far as one handed operation goes, I find that, for me, pressing the hamburger menu is actually easier than doing the sideways swipe. Like I said, I have short fingers. The sideways swiping is the one motion that makes me want to drop the phone, because I put weight from one side to the other of the phone, and I am unable to hold it all the way across on the back, so it tilts over and tries to drop. Irritating. I realize, however, that I am in a minority here. I never complained about swiping back and forth to get to things, even though I hated it. I just worked on trying to adapt to it. To me, it seemed like a stupid way to get things done. I re-iterate, "to me." After reading many reviews I saw that a lot of people liked it, and, even though I didn't, I decided that since that is the way it is, I would just adapt and learn to like it. I did learn to adapt, but it wasn't easy.

I'll stop now, before I create 10 pages in the forum with just this one post.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So, while posting in the forums earlier with the WC app, I noticed a nuisance of the pivots. When I was commenting and moving the cursor in a sentence to add in a word, it registered it as a swipe and kept going to a different page. Talk about annoying. I think Microsoft is going in the right direction!

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick question to the people who don't like to "stretch" to the top: Do you not use the notification center either? I mean, I personally don't care one way or the other, but it seems to me like the notification center would be worse compared to a hamburger menu for one-handed use.

Who said pulling the notification from the top was a good idea to begin with? Does having the notification center with bad usability mean we should introduce more UI elements with bad usability?

The silver lining to the notification center is at least we didn't start off with an implementation that's usable for one-handed use and have it downgrade to one that's less usable. While it certainly would be awesome if they re-thought about how to implement a better way to access the notification center, I do realize the chance of that happening is next to zero; that ship has sailed so to speak. The hamburger menu on the other hand is still in flux and that's why everyone here is debating about it.

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

As a 1520 user, I despise that it's at the top. I even have to shift my hand when I use my postage stamp-sized 635 (for Win 10), and I have very long fingers. I don't like a lot of things about it, to be honest. It's at the very top of the screen and completely hidden. I don't like swipe-from-the-edges motions in general because unlike a hamburger button, there is nothing visual to indicate that the gesture is there. You either know about it and use it, or don't know about it and have no clue. It was something that was shamelessly and a lazily ripped from Android whole cloth. There's nothing well-conceived or "Metro" about it.

Ironically, with Windows 10, they could go with an ergonomically better gesture: swipe-from-the-right like the tablet version of the OS. It's much easier for a one-handed grip. It still stinks of mystery meat though and I'd probably stick with the top-down gesture if I was in charge of WP 10 UX. When there's no visual cue, people go by memory and for all mobile OSs, that's the swipe from the top edge.

The reason you didn't see a big UI backlash about the notification center like you are about hamburgers now is because before WP 8.1, the lack of a notification center was easily one of the biggest complaints about the OS. Even the most jaded UX nazi (like yours truly) recognizes that a functional-but-lazy notification center is much better than no notification center at all. If instead they had decided to nix live tiles completely in favor of the notification center, you'd have had the exact same sort of outcry you do now about hamburger buttons. All this fuss about MS going from an elegant and functional, if imperfect, UX to a merely mediocre one for no good reason.

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So, while posting in the forums earlier with the WC app, I noticed a nuisance of the pivots. When I was commenting and moving the cursor in a sentence to add in a word, it registered it as a swipe and kept going to a different page. Talk about annoying. I think Microsoft is going in the right direction!

According to the MS docs, you shouldn't use textboxes in pivots or panos/hubs for that very reason. There are ways of making the textbox eat the swipe gesture and it should be reported to the developer as a bug.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hamburger button is from android right? Why no one noticed about it?

A)
No, the 🍔 button has been around since the 80's, but became widespread on the WWW as a component of responsive web page design, which is where the Android folks "copied" it from.

B)
Even if it had originated from Android, that's not the issue. There's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from Android, as long as WP retains its own strengths.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
According to the MS docs, you shouldn't use textboxes in pivots or panos/hubs for that very reason. There are ways of making the textbox eat the swipe gesture and it should be reported to the developer as a bug.

Exactly, this is just an example of a junior developer screwing up. It's not an error of the design language. Scrollable maps are also components that should never be placed in a pivot, as they too can 'swallow' swiping gestures.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Yes, there are. Because of this thread, I have been purposefully trying to use my phone with one hand as I do other things. I have discovered that there are a number of things that I have been doing one handed and didn't realize until I became conscious of it. Things I wouldn't necessarily recommend for others to do one handed. I'll discuss that toward the bottom of this post after all the quotes.

Yes, we are adaptable. Also, to be expanded below, because it goes with the one above.

Yes, the majority are right-handed persons, which has helped me to come to a very surprising conclusion about which hand I use for my phone.

Okay, now for my discussion, which will touch on all the above.

I have discovered that when I am just using my phone casually, I'll use my right hand "most" of the time. However, any time I am doing something else that is a "primary" action, (such as taking notes, opening a door, etc.) I find that I have my phone in my left hand and that I am as capable using it in my left hand as in my right. I don't know how or when that happened, but it is something I noticed as I have been more conscious of it since starting participation in this thread.

You must also realize that when I first got the phone, I was unable to use it in one hand and even found it difficult to use with two hands without dropping it. Why? Because the Lumia 635 comes with a very slick case. I also have short fingers which exacerbates the problem. What did I do about this? I adapted. Or, should I say, I started by adapting my phone. I bought a rugged case that has ribs on the back of it, and a good rubberized feel that makes it quite easy to grip with one hand without dropping it.

With this case, I have adapted to become very nimble with it. I can, using my fingers on the backside of the phone, manipulate the phone up and down quickly in order to reach all areas of the phone, without ever losing balance of the phone. Can everyone adapt to this? I doubt it. I'm sure that some could, but it takes using the proper tools. Tools are the main way man has adapted to things since the beginning of time. My tool was a case. I didn't really purchase it so much to be able to use the phone with one hand, I got the case to keep it from being so slippery, because I was unable to even hold the phone without a case.

Now, the case made the phone bigger, and harder to reach areas of the screen. I have, however, adapted to reach. Having the short fingers has made me learn how to do a lot of things differently from the way other people do things, but I've learned how to get things to work. I do find myself preferring to use two hands whenever possible.

If I'm busy with my hands in most cases, I don't need to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone because I have a Voyager Legend Bluetooth headset that I wear all day long. There are some people that say, "I wouldn't be caught dead out in public with that headset protruding out of my ear." To them I say, "It sure looks better than a large phone covering half my face everywhere I go." Honestly, some people can't seem to walk in public without a large phone constantly up against their face. I know most people don't like to wear headsets, but this one is comfortable for me, it is waterproof, stops background and wind noise quite well, and I can use my voice to answer or reject calls. That means I never have to touch my phone if I receive a call or a text. (Cortana handles the text part quite nicely, my Bluetooth handles answering or rejecting the call.) That means I can keep washing the car, changing the spark plugs, changing a diaper, or even washing dishes. We all hate to have to grab our phone if we've got our hands either greasy or soapy, or even something else while changing a diaper. Yeah, been there.

I find that I only need to pull my phone out when calling into a customer service center, and I have to press "1" or "5" or whatever, as far as making calls go. When it comes to "non phone call features", there are some of those I need to get out the phone to handle the phone for. However, Cortana keeps me from having to do very much handling, which I really like. Now that I can dictate emails, things have gotten even easier.

95% of the time, when I need to use my hands for my phone at all in Windows 10, it is because I am either checking emails while I'm out, which is rare, or because I've decided to play a game. Oh, and since the Windows 10 tech preview, I am also having to use my hands to manually open and check the weather, because Cortana no longer knows my accurate location. She's now locating me by my IP address instead of my GPS location. ?!? Irritating. I can't ask her for current temperature, forecast, or anything, because she gives it to me for another state (which varies which state). I'll be glad when that's fixed. Every other app knows my correct location except Cortana, and she's the one I need it for the most.

Pressing the call button while not in a call will bring up Cortana. This is a must have for me. I don't have to pull out my phone. Heck, my phone can be on a table in the next room, and I don't have to worry about it in most cases. And, with the battery life on this preview, it is in the next room on the charger a lot of the time, so I'm very dependent on my Bluetooth headset, Cortana, and some other speech enabled apps that I use.

As far as one handed operation goes, I find that, for me, pressing the hamburger menu is actually easier than doing the sideways swipe. Like I said, I have short fingers. The sideways swiping is the one motion that makes me want to drop the phone, because I put weight from one side to the other of the phone, and I am unable to hold it all the way across on the back, so it tilts over and tries to drop. Irritating. I realize, however, that I am in a minority here. I never complained about swiping back and forth to get to things, even though I hated it. I just worked on trying to adapt to it. To me, it seemed like a stupid way to get things done. I re-iterate, "to me." After reading many reviews I saw that a lot of people liked it, and, even though I didn't, I decided that since that is the way it is, I would just adapt and learn to like it. I did learn to adapt, but it wasn't easy.

That was a good read (I didn’t want to truncate it as clearly, as either you type ridiculously quickly or put in a lot of time :winktongue:)) and does highlight interesting points, predominately – people in general use muscle memory without realising it. I imagine if everyone took the time to analyse their usage they may come to surprising conclusions as well.

Furthermore, as you have adapted over time and sought tools to assist and I imagine others will too with Windows 10 for phones whether they like it or not.

Which is why I said people will need to use the preview as daily driver for a month or so; as during the first couple of days you’re usually setting things up, tweaking the start screen to your liking etc. Only then does a person (generally speaking) start to use the phone normally.

Never the less once change is imposed, people either incorporate such change or rebel against it. In this case by switching platforms however given the UX similarities jumping platforms to Android isn’t really going to solve anything as that is full of as Praxius put it:

full of hamburgers and hotdogs.
:grin::grin:

Sure they can switch to ios or to other platforms like Sailfish and that is their choice.

Only time will tell after Windows 10 hits whether or not moving away from the core design principles of Wp 7 & 8 was a good move on Microsoft’s part. For all windows phone users sakes, I hope it pans out as things can easily go sideways when you least expect it.

I'll stop now, before I create 10 pages in the forum with just this one post.

Haha, habit huh? :grin:

Exactly, this is just an example of a junior developer screwing up. It's not an error of the design language. Scrollable maps are also components that should never be placed in a pivot, as they too can 'swallow' swiping gestures.

In the case of the Windows Central App, perhaps it was either delay the app or get it out there into the hands of the users; however most likely Jay Bennett is already working on a pet projection in his spare time in readiness for Windows 10 ;).

Edit:

Maybe this would be a better option as opposed to the the hamburger icon since it is already in use in Outlook.com, perhaps in the new office builds but having issues with the W10 TP so I can't check (but I won't go into that as that is best suited in another thread).

Grid icon.png

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Which is why, when new students asked us to add a map to our course information page so that they knew where their classes were meeting, we "locked" the map to prevent it from consuming their normal swipes, which often occur at the bottom of the screen. However, because students may occasionally want to pan or zoom the map, we allowed them to unlock it. While unlocked, they can't swipe sideways near the bottom to change panorama panels, but the "fix" will be obvious to them since they had just tapped a button to allow the map to slide around. See here:
Map Lock.png

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Still, I won't miss pivots. They're nice and all, but they're not necessary. If you've actually tried the tech preview, the new photos app is quite nice. My brothers first reaction was "This is so much better!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb