Someone needs to send this to Microsoft

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
In other posts, I have used the new Photos app as an example of what's wrong with how hamburgers are currently implemented. The issues range from location (far corner) to impact on the back stack and the Back key.

OutIook

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
If you don't like new UI changes, vote here:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6623043-stick-to-modern-don-t-copy-android
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6997054-keep-all-the-menu-navigation-buttons-at-the-bottom
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6996793-move-navigation-bar-back-to-the-bottom-in-windows
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6993439-buttons-to-down-not-use-hamburger
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7005971-windows10-should-not-copy-android-ios-instead-ref

Also use the Feedback application in Windows 10 Preview version in Windows Phone, this is very important.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Where do we vote if we DO like the UI changes to let them know we want them to keep them?

Sorry, I just had to play the other side of that. I couldn't resist.

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
So I just had idea...

I have heard of the idea used on Android(?) that swiping from the edge brings up the hamburger menu, well why not take that idea and improve on it?

First the menu pops up aligned to where you swipe from the left/right(?) edge, second you have the option to highlight a menu item while keeping you finger on the screen, and upon lifting your finger you the menu item is selected. This could be an effective replacement for pivots, and help one handed users out too.

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
wow, this is a great discussion with a lot of feedback. As far as sending this to Microsoft, we are seeing the feedback and love the passion around UI! I'm sure all of our UI designers are keenly aware of these hot button issues (yes, pun intended), and they definitely are aware of heatmaps showing thumb tracking, etc. :) The best way to get this feedback to us would be either through uservoice (as someone listed above), or by using the feedback tool on Windows Phone (or Windows) to file feedback and +1 issues. Remember, it's a little more work but often more productive to search for someone who's posted the same feedback suggestion that you have and adding your +1 than creating a brand new suggestion, as all the +1s help each other bubble up faster than when we look at everything individually and try to link all the similar issues together manually.

Again, love the discussion and just wanted to pop in and say we're seeing it and thanks for being Windows Insiders.

OutIook

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Well I hope that you will not ignore the 12759 votes (currently) and the other different topics in user voice with the same meaning - they are many more, that advice you to keep the UI consistent:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6623043-stick-to-modern-don-t-copy-android

Thanks!

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope that you will not ignore the 12759 votes (currently) and the other different topics in user voice with the same meaning - they are many more, that advice you to keep the UI consistent:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ns/6623043-stick-to-modern-don-t-copy-android

Thanks!

12.000 votes in User Voice comes from 4.000 accounts. Are those accounts a representative sample of the target market? I'd say It's just a small group of hipsters whining and giving child-like arguments as an intent to keep the product as weird as possible.

Keep your expectations low.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So I just had idea...

I have heard of the idea used on Android(?) that swiping from the edge brings up the hamburger menu, well why not take that idea and improve on it?

First the menu pops up aligned to where you swipe from the left/right(?) edge, second you have the option to highlight a menu item while keeping you finger on the screen, and upon lifting your finger you the menu item is selected. This could be an effective replacement for pivots, and help one handed users out too.

I really like this idea. Put it into feedback and give us a link to it. I'd definitely +1 that one. That should be for phones and tablets and laptops/desktops. Those with touch screen could have that option, those without touchscreen could still use the hamburger menu with the mouse. Great idea. Like when the numbers key in the 8.1 keyboard would allow you to hold and slide to a number without having to switch over. That would make it very efficient.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
...swiping from the edge brings up the hamburger menu...aligned to where you swipe from the edge, second you have the option to highlight a menu item while keeping you finger on the screen, and upon lifting your finger you the menu item is selected. This could be an effective replacement for pivots, and help one handed users out too.
I don't see it. Some apps will have hamburger lists longer than a screen so they will need to scroll. For that to work, vertical dragging must be used to scroll the list. If so, your idea that a user slide his finger to a list item and then lift won't work because that motion will be used for scrolling. (Because consistency is important in ease of use, MS wouldn't be able to use your method for some apps and not for others.)

I'm still confused about the UI elements being proposed for intra-page navigation (i.e., panoramas or pivots) vs inter-page navigation (i.e., links from one place in the app to another). I think that most mobile apps are fairly simple in terms of the number of pages/areas within the app, but some are big. My main app, a university portal has 70 different pages, although that count includes settings pages. Most of the non-settings pages have multiple panels, either using pivots or panoramas. How should navigation in complex apps be managed? What role do hamburgers play? What other kind of control makes sense? Is direct access to everything really needed? (And for what it's worth, the WP version of the app supports pinning virtually anything to the Start screen as a way of providing direct access for pages that students access frequently.)

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
12.000 votes in User Voice comes from 4.000 accounts. Are those accounts a representative sample of the target market? I'd say It's just a small group of hipsters whining and giving child-like arguments as an intent to keep the product as weird as possible.

Keep your expectations low.

You're absolutely right. No matter what happens, Microsoft should always ignore feedback because the majority of users would not vote anyway.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You're absolutely right. No matter what happens, Microsoft should always ignore feedback because the majority of users would not vote anyway.

Publishing a website to recollect feedback assuming that the data comes from a representative sample of the target market is even more stupid than ignoring the feedback.
Few people use UserVoice. The results can be skewed for small organized groups with the weirdest motivations.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Simple solution. Hamburger goes to the bottom, opposite the ...
Speaking of ... why don't they just put all those setting features in the ...?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Simple solution. Hamburger goes to the bottom, opposite the ...
Speaking of ... why don't they just put all those setting features in the ...?
Who is the "they" in your sentence? It can't be Microsoft because they just provide the capabilities to put 4 buttons in the app bar and any reasonable number of things in the app menu that appears below the icon buttons.

Microsoft is pretty vague about purposes. Here's Microsoft's current word on app bars: App bars provide users with easy access to commands...App bars can also be used to show commands or options that are specific to the user's context...They can also be used for navigation among pages or sections of the app. So, they are functions or navigation related to the app or its content.

Let's assume that pivots will continue to exist for apps that need multi-section pages. It seems likely that the section headers will get smaller, just as the "Hub" section headers (see People, Xbox Music, etc.) are smaller than "Panorama" headers (see Baconit). This provides us with in-page navigation.

The question is, does primary navigation go on pages, as it typically has with "list based" apps (i.e., WP apps and many, many, iOS apps), or does it go in a separate UI element that we currently call a "hamburger menu"?

Hamburger can be designed to be available on every page and to provide direct access to all pages/functions within the app, but it doesn't need to be accessible from everywhere, it doesn't need to provide direct access to everything, and it doesn't need to look like a vertically scrolling menu.

Thought exercise: imagine an app bar button shaped like a house. When pressed, a multi-tab page of app sections is displayed. Tapping an item brings the user to the selected page such that pressing the hardware Back again returns the user to the page that he was on before pressing the app bar's house button. While looking at the multi-tab page of app sections, pressing the house button again (or the hardware Back button) makes that page disappear so that the user can see the page that he was looking at before. This house button is available in the app bar of every page and it provides direct access to everything. Is it a "hamburger"? Do we care?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster