W10M Insider Bugs & Defects Thread (pre 10586.164)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell040

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Bugs & Defects Thread

How did you install Windows Phone 10? Please help to explain the step by step process. Thanks

I thought that this was a simple upgrade, and the same for everyone. I installed the Insider app, and picked the "fast updates" option. I went to phone update, and then let her rip for a couple hours. If there is another way to upgrade to WP10TP, I am not aware of it.

Have you at least tried a hard reset before rolling back? It seems like it solves many of the more serious problems.

I did not hard reset the phone as others have mentioned. I realize now that a hard reset may have been the answer, but I already went back to WP8.1.

I will probably try it again tonight. If it still acts horrible, I will get some video.

Christopher DeWitt

May 10, 2014
Visit site

Games controller 🎮 touch screen defently don't respond well at all, I tried 2 games so far which was legend of king and the new halo game.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

FYI I'm on a 1520 and got a critical update tonight. Seems much more responsive. Not there yet but better. Anyone notice the photos live tile is frozen?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

RM 943 Lumia 625H
newest build

Phone still can't send SMS I check the message center number with my operator
UPDATE
--
Can't receive any SMS
--
Data Connection flipped on now but can't be turned off. but it seems not turned on because I can't no longer connect to the internet via cellular network.

can't enable roaming state. setting stucked.

---
UPDATE
just finished hard reset.

1. data connection still stucked. now can't be enabled instead
2. roaming menu still stucked.
3. can't recieve or send SMS (call, USSD still fine)

other than that I'm not complaining since this one is the cellphone core purpose ._. going back to Lumia Cyan now and trying again for newer build.

goodluck

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

RM 943 Lumia 625H
newest build

Phone still can't send SMS I check the message center number with my operator
UPDATE
--
Can't receive any SMS
--
Data Connection flipped on now but can't be turned off. but it seems not turned on because I can't no longer connect to the internet via cellular network.

can't enable roaming state. setting stucked.

---
UPDATE
just finished hard reset.

1. data connection still stucked. now can't be enabled instead
2. roaming menu still stucked.
3. can't recieve or send SMS (call, USSD still fine)

other than that I'm not complaining since this one is the cellphone core purpose ._. going back to Lumia Cyan now and trying again for newer build.

goodluck

If you are going back to CYAN and then going to install WP10 again, pls do the following:
1) After going back to CYAN
2) Hard reset your phone and set up as new phone
3) Then install WP10

I think that will help you to have a responsive phone.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

I'll try again later on weekend.

If the problem still there i guess waiting is the only option.

Damn I love that voice text input

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

One thing Ive already noticed on new build - Notifications aren't working so if you get an e-mail it doesn't show up until you go into your mail app. For the love of God Microsoft stop making it worse!

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

One thing Ive already noticed on new build - Notifications aren't working so if you get an e-mail it doesn't show up until you go into your mail app. For the love of God Microsoft stop making it worse!

This is technical preview please realize that.

Use feedback apps to report bugs

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Notification works. Please enable in settings.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Notification works. Please enable in settings.

Sorta, but not really. Very hit or miss, and mostly miss. Maybe one in 10, and that's after clearing the one that does notify and handling the mail item.

ryanlow134

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Just updated my Lumia 720 to the new build.

It seems I can't open the Insider Hub App :shocked:

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

UPDATE

I installed the 2nd preview update for Windows 10 and some things cleared up.

1. TEXTING
    Texts now send smoothly with perhaps a 1 second delay. I also like the ability to reply via the push notification.
    Dislikes
    • Auto-text/Auto-correct
      The suggestions have a lag and a delayed auto correct response that changes your error (Or sometimes correct word) AFTER you've typed the next two words (depending on your hand speed).
    • Select messages

The Round Avatar is a nice aesthetic but it seems to have taken away the ability to click the edge of the screen in line with the text in order to select a messages. That option has been revoked and it's rather cumbersome to click the ellipsis then click on "Select Messages" in order to do so.
    • The save picture option in MMS has been removed. The only way I could save a picture sent via MMS was to attempt to edit it, retouch the photo, THEN save it. I tried long pressing the pic to bring up save options to no avail.
    • Unable to send attachments via text.
  2. Outlook Mail
    The mail app stopped syncing. I saw a red caution Triangle beside my Google, School Mail, and Yahoo mail accounts. Clicking on those accounts didn't take me to their settings or sync pages. Basically, there was nothing I could do to re-sync these accounts except clicking the refresh button at the top of the page which kept flashing "Last synced 1 day ago".

After about 2 hours, the red caution triangles disappeared from my google and School accounts but my yahoo account was still in the red.
  3. Insider hub won't open.
  4. Search
    No longer able to save images that pop up in search. Now I have to click on the "View Source Image" option, and then save the image from that page. The process is more cumbersome.
  5. Windowsphone website now registers my phone as a Nokia Lumia 920 (instead of as a 1520).

The Webstore fails to pick up my 1520 (probably since it's on Windows 10.)

This caused a major problem because I have since uninstalled Outlook Mail and Calendar and can no longer find them in the store to re-download them.

How the hell do i find Windows 10 apps? Where is that Repository? Insider Hub won't load.

Hey... At least Airplane mode finally works :eck:
Definitely gonna report all these faults on Windows Feedback before Using the Recovery tool to Reflash 8.1

Lumia 1520 unlocked Hong Kong version. I had already switched my region, language, keyboard, and speech to English US.

Firstly, when I began he Preview Install, I never saw a prompt for connecting to wifi so all my data was migrated via mobile data :cry:

1. The Lag
    My first observation was the extreme lag. This was expected because of all the background app downloads and syncing going on simultaneously. My phone was slow and as responsive as molasses for about an hour, all while overheating and killing battery life (Faster than the USB port on my laptop could charge it)

2. The heat

I've owned a Lumia 920 and I'm no stranger to the overheating issues but I'm scared with the 1520 because of how thin it is, sometimes i take it out of the protective case to let it cool down. It gets so hot I can SMELL it.

3. Touchscreen calibration

It's very awkward to hit keys located close to the edge of the screen.

4. Text messaging LAG

After typing a message and pressing the paper plane to send, the textbox background goes grey and the typed text is stuck there. Repeated presses of the paper plane (send button) yields no result. I had to quit the application and restart it to resend the text. The same issue occured but I noticed that there is a send lag which lasts as long as 4 seconds. The message still goes through.

Also the Text Message notification tone is now a regular notification tone and I have no option to change the tone back to Nokia Text tone.

5. Unable to save screenshots.

At least that's the error I'm receiving after I attempt to take a screenshot. It begins with the usual "Saving tot Screenshots" then transitions to "Unable to save Screenshot" Someone else mentioned turning OneDrive off so I'll try that and report back.

6. Back Button from App list

Doesn't work anymore. This has been mentioned and I've read that the Windows Key takes you back to Homescreen. Also, you can just simply swipe right. After months/years of muscle memory, that'll be kinda awkward. Minor Inconvenience.

7. Office Hub

The Office app has disappeared from the Store and that disappoints me somewhat. I have a text document containing all the wifi passwords at every access point that I've connected to in order to copy and paste extra long string passwords. Since there's no more Office app, I have to access this file either through Files or OneDrive. When I tap on the text file, the icon acknowledges that it was pressed but nothing happens. No word app opens to display the document. what makes it even weirder is that every time I press the text document's icon, an instance of Microsoft word (from office) appears in the Task list but the screen is black. If I were to tap on any of those instances in Task List the the window acknowledges that it was pressed but does not open.

Is there another app to replace Office (Like Outlook Mail now replaces all the other mail inboxes)?

8. Outlook Calender

There is no option to display my Facebook Calender (Events and Birthdays). The only available accounts that I can connect are my Microsoft and Google accounts even though my Contacts are set with Facebook as an account and Facebook contacts show up in Contacts. I'm aware that the work around is to manually add the Facebook calendars to Outlook via a PC and I've already done that. My problem is that an imported Facebook iCalender synced with Microsoft shows me my reminders 24 hours out of sync. eg; Today (April 21st) is my birthday, and the Task corresponding to my Birthday doesn't show up till tomorrow (Wednesday). This is not specific to Windows Phone 10 because it's been happening ever since and it is an inconvenience.

9. Photo hub

Photo Hub is extremely slow (8.1 Update 2 was slow as well and crashed when trying to share pics FROM (instead of TWO) inside a 3rd party app). I like that most recent pics are at the top of the screen and scrolling down goes back in time, however, only the top 3 rows of pics show visible thumbnails. All the other pics thumbnails are grey.

10. Sounds

No option to change the tone/sound of text messages, IMs, and email.

11. Cortana

I've read the complaints so far but i haven't had a chance to check her out (not that I utilize Cortana much anyway). I'm not sure if I have to do over changing the Speech, Language, and Keyboard languages all to English US. I'll have to check.

12. AIRPLANE MODE

Airplane Mode refuse to toggle. Clicking it from the extended quick keys at the top of the screen has no result. Going ot the actual Airplane mode screen yields no result when I press the switch. The switch responds when I swipe it but once I release my finger off the screen the switch springs back to OFF mode.

13. LOCKSCREEN

Bing Lockscreen is supposed to Refresh every 24 hours but sometimes the same photo remains the lock screen for days even though the caption changes on the Lock screen menu page. This has been going on since 8.1 denim.

Also, the six slots at the bottom of the Lock Screen Menu are empty. Clicking on any of the plus sign slots to select an app status to display at the bottom of the lock screen opens a grey screen with a gear symbol at the top left side there is nothing on the grey screen and clicking the gear returns you to settings. Also the app to display in detail button gives rise to a one field/row drop down box which so happens to be blank.

14. Battery

I still experience the same rapid discharge that I was experiencing with Denim. On the bright side, my phone charges rapidly, jumping from 36% - 84% in about 1 hour 10 minutes. I'm fully aware that the battery readings cannot be trusted but I'm also conflicted about whether the rapid discharge is a result of faulty software/firmware or if I need a new battery.

15. CALLS

I've attempted to make phonecalls and I can see the Contact but at mid screen there is a grey horizontal bar cutting across the in-call contact display pic. The phone said dialing but i heard no tones. Apparently she answered twice but there was no audio or no indication that the call had even connected from my end. Upon putting my phone in my pocket I accidentally dialed someone else and that call went through.

I'm fully aware that this is just a preview trial for developers so I won't fuss about the bugs. In time they will all be cleared out. I'll eventually copy and paste this entire post to the Microsoft Feedback page. I'm actually looking forward to see what Windows 10 can do. I've always been a Nokia user and was skeptical about this whole Windows Phone OS but I'm a believer. I'm also fully aware that the most recommended quick 'fix' is to do a hard reset after backing up then reinstalling each app from scratch rather than utilizing backups. That will be my last resort before using the Nokia Recovery tool.

Last edited:

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Jesus Christ!!!

Now the keyboard shrank by 33%.

It now covers 2/3 of the allotted width, leaving a blank space to the left.

Andriy Smoliychuk

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

If you are going back to CYAN and then going to install WP10 again, pls do the following:
1) After going back to CYAN
2) Hard reset your phone and set up as new phone
3) Then install WP10

I think that will help you to have a responsive phone.

After a lot of trying and suffering I have done everything exactly as you described on my L625. I`ve also disabled any synchronization and auto update for the apps to avoid even the smallest changes to the OS. This hasn't bring any improvement for the speed and did not affect any of the issues I had. The biggest of them is inability to use cellular data. Now I`m completing the second hard reset having no doubt it won`t help either. Waiting for a newer build.
Would be great to see the comments of other Lumia 625 owners.

UPD: Also noticed "Cellular data" app availabe in the list of my apps in the store. Installation did not resolve the issue, launching the app just takes me to "cellular+sim" settings page.

Last edited:

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

So Ive noticed on the mail notifications - The notifications work when new mail comes in- it dings and shows the ribbon bar etc but on my lock screen I don't have the envelopes at the bottom of the page like I did before.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

1)Cant open downloaded videos, videos app doesn't even show them.. Trying to open them from files makes my phone to restart
2) MSN Sports app got corrupted.. Not even showing up in app list.. I don't know where has it gone?
I don't want to hard reset as I don't want to lose some game data.. I will wait out, hoping it will all be sorted out in next couple of builds..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss