05-20-2016 09:03 AM
2,234 ... 4849505152 ...
tools
    After a not so good experience with one of the earlier builds, I had decided to be cautious and sit on the fence until a later build came along, especially as I don't have access to a test device, and would be using it on my daily driver. So with the announcement of 10166, I thought it seemed like the appropriate time to give it another go. My experience has certainly been much better than before, and I'm comfortable continuing to use it for now. The upgrade experience was definitely a lot smoother, and the overall polish looks a lot nicer. Despite a few bugs and performance issues being experienced here and there which I have reported all seems well, and I'm excited to continue to see it progress. For those interested, some of the bugs I've come across are.... Lag when opening folders on start screen, unable to change the start screen background image, problems with typing in OneNote, no SMS drafts (lose an unsent message after switching apps), no lock screen support for MSN weather app. They would be my main gripes, but nothing show stopping at this stage
    07-12-2015 09:54 PM
    10166 is working really well on my Lumia 1320 so far.

I was on 10136 (where the Store failed to download a bunch of apps which then completely took up my Phone storage) so I reverted to 8.1, updated to 10166, then restored a backup.

Good points:
    • App restoration after a backup is fixed - all my apps reinstalled successfully
    • Everything is much smoother and faster, it's definitely staying on my daily driver.
    • UIs are making progress - there's still some weirdness in the difference between old/new app bars, but it's looking promising
    • Font scaling for 6" screens is fantastic. Things no longer feel unnecessarily large, unless it's a particularly old app.

Bad points/bugs:
    • What the hell is up with the People tile?! Little circles, moving around in the square tile? It's disgusting and does not fit at all.
    • In "full screen picture" mode for the Start screen, tiles retain the accent colour, which can look quite bad (my tiles are red). It'd be nice to be able to set the tiles to a customizable shade of white/black so that they can look nice on any background, especially combined with transparency.
    • Start screen sometimes crashes me back to the latest app I was running, as others have mentioned.
    • The landscape keyboard doesn't load for me - I just get a black section. I've noticed this in both apps and games.
    • The Store no longer asks "This app can't be installed on an SD card. Install on Phone instead?" - rather, it tells you to go to Settings and change the global setting, install the app, then change the global setting back. Error code 0x80073D01.
    • Text message notifications have been quite sporadic, and have not updated the live tile as of yet. I've toggled them off & on in Settings so we'll see what happens.
    • The Groove Music app still feels quite unfinished. It initially started detecting music off my SD card, so I switched to File Explorer and deleted all my songs. Went back to Groove, and it still thinks the songs are on the phone, after 2 days. There also doesn't seem to be a way to 'select all'

Minor things I've noticed (including smaller bugs):
    • Swiping up on the lock screen, with PIN enabled, will toggle between the PIN screen and a darkened lock screen.
    • Can't remove the 'All Apps' shortcut at the bottom of the start screen. Being able to do so would be nice.
    • Calendar live till is still basic, like it was in 8.1. It'd be nice if it could show more than one appointment.
    • Shutting down the phone will quickly remind you about your next appointment.
    • Others have said they can't change Glance settings - everything looks fine for me so far.
    • It's interesting that the 'Other' section in Settings has a very stripped down UI compared to the rest of the available pages. In portrait, there is no search box, in landscape, it has search, but the left sidebar shows up (and is blank). The list is a collection of text links rather than list buttons like other Settings pages.
    • Looks like spacing between notifications in the notifications area is larger than before.

Overall, this build is looking promising. I've had no apps actually crash on me, everything is more stable, and future builds should get interesting.
    Penguin apple likes this.
    07-12-2015 10:01 PM
    WiFi doesn't work in the 1520 and you can't post tweets on twitter. The app will crash.
    07-12-2015 10:09 PM
    after clean install on lumia 1020 people hub doest show any people which is sync.......i can see them in whatsapp or anyone calls i can see info but they are not displayed in people hub.
    07-12-2015 10:13 PM
    Action center icons are blinking for me..
    Not able to stop it.. For stoping it i have to restart the phone... What should i do??
    FearL0rd likes this.
    07-12-2015 10:16 PM
    Loading..... Loading..... Loading..... Loading..... back to 8.1
    07-12-2015 10:30 PM
    hmmm... thanks for the feedback guys... I guess I will not be jumping to it anytime soon. Patience...patience... I only have 1 Lumia phone.
    07-12-2015 10:37 PM
    I've pin Xbox tile to start but It's missing. There is no option to pin it again, it thinks its pinned.
    07-12-2015 10:52 PM
    nope! that is soft reset! Hard reset is factory reset!
    07-12-2015 11:14 PM
    i try 10166 3 days from now.... seems its ok for me the only problem is the photos when you zoom a lil bit laggy
    07-12-2015 11:17 PM
    im on previous build then 66 still downloading 10166 build since 2 days. some times it reaches to 26% now from morning its at 0% constantly on high speed Wifi ?
    any suggestions....
    07-12-2015 11:48 PM
    Hi,
    I am getting 0x80070003 error message while updating it. "Cant update phone". What could be the reason? i tries three times.
    07-13-2015 12:10 AM
    I cannot change the pic background for the start page.. Shows the one migrated from 8.1
    Hmmm, kind strange, try set it to none, restart and try again, if nothing else help I'm afraid you'll need to format it, fresh start usually fix most of the issues...
    07-13-2015 12:24 AM
    I've problem with 10166 mobile. I'm usng 1520 upgraded from 8.1.
    After end of call and return to lock screen I can't do anything. Touch screen doesn't work . I must reboot phone. Any solution?
    07-13-2015 12:25 AM
    Can anyone tell me if Microsoft Edge has become a store app yet to be updated independent of OS? In this build?
    No.. But it is significantly improved in this build and I am not saying it just like that, faster, stable, they have even added the loading progress bar, it looks quite promising now, thumb up...
    07-13-2015 12:27 AM
    Cannot share mobile using mobile hotspot, and still no usb tethering nl630 dual sim. One sim is for mobile broadband only.
    Well known issue since first build...

No email notifications, not in the notifications and actions.
    As a matter of fact, some of my mails appears in notification center from time to time but generally speaking you are right, it is well known bug, e-mail still doesn't work properly...

The store needs panel beating, more clicks to get to what used to be My Apps.
    Very agree with U, not a huge fan although it has couple or more than welcome improvements, I guess we all have to give it a chance, it takes some time to get acclimated to :D
    07-13-2015 12:28 AM
    It broke my phone... HTC M1 8m "your pc/device needs to be repaired" boot config data missing or contains errors. Awesome.:(

Can't hard reset, can't get to settings... phone just keeps restarting and going to BSoD. Not cool. Wife is one step away from going back to Android and this will probably push her the rest of the way over. Have to get this fixed asap.
    07-13-2015 12:34 AM
    It broke my phone... HTC M1 8m "your pc/device needs to be repaired" .... Have to get this fixed asap.
    Microsoft has recently updated the Windows Phone Recovery Tool with support for the HTC One (M8) so just get it and fix it, and don't forget to keep us informed however ;)
    07-13-2015 12:59 AM
    Using alarms, vibration cannot be chosen anymore.
    I am used to it having it under my pillow so that my wife doesn't wake up.
    Any clue?
    07-13-2015 01:05 AM
    Photos doesn't backup to OneDrive anymore .?!?!
    07-13-2015 01:21 AM
    It broke my phone... HTC M1 8m "your pc/device needs to be repaired" boot config data missing or contains errors. Awesome.:(

Can't hard reset, can't get to settings... phone just keeps restarting and going to BSoD. Not cool. Wife is one step away from going back to Android and this will probably push her the rest of the way over. Have to get this fixed asap.

Turn off you device then turn on by pressing volume down and power button keep holding the volume button when you see the exclamation point released the volume down and press volume up ,volume down, power button ang the last press volume down...automatically hard reset the device
    Penguin apple and chasvs like this.
    07-13-2015 01:35 AM
    Default camera app is horrible on my 1020. I cannot install Lumia Camera
    eehsun, LennH and Penguin apple like this.
    07-13-2015 01:41 AM
    what about 120fps slow motion video ?
    i couldnt see it any where ?
    07-13-2015 01:43 AM
    Does anyone else not have access to any of the Lumia camera apps in build 10166?
    On my 1020 I don't. I am stuck with the default camera app which sucks :(
    07-13-2015 01:43 AM
    Dunno why but screenshots are not getting saved on my 730. Tried restarting my phone, but to no avail. Checked in photos app too.
    Anyone with the same issue?
    07-13-2015 01:44 AM
2,234 ... 4849505152 ...