W10M Insider Bugs & Defects Thread (pre 10586.164)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Post below if you think you've noticed any issues or Windows 10 for Phones isn't behaving as it should. This thread is for the discussion of any software issues. We will endeavour to keep this OP updated and relevant.Below is an overview of some of the terminology you may come across:
[NOTE]
Soft Reset: By pressing down the Volume Down + Power buttons for 10-15 seconds (or until the device vibrates) you can perform a soft reset on your device. This is a little bit like a factory reset for your phone's OS only you get to keep all of your personal data. Think of it like restarting your PC. This is the first thing you should try if your device is behaving oddly.

Hard Reset: By going to settings>about>reset your phone you can completely wipe your phone of your personal data (ideal if you're going to send in your phone for repair or sell it). Your phone will turn off and you'll see spinning gears for a while (up to an hour or so) and when it's done you will see the same screens you saw when you first turned on your phone out of the box. You'll have to sign in with your Microsoft account again and start over.

How to make your Lumia's battery last longer: See the thread over at the Nokia Discussion Forum here.How to reset your device's camera: Go to settings>applications>photos+camera>reset.[/NOTE]
Remember to keep your posts as descriptive as possible so that we can try to keep this thread relevant.

[info]Here are the current list of known issues with the just-released Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones. Workarounds are listed and these issues are to be fixed in future preview releases:

[note]Existing alarms will not be migrated to Windows 10.
Workaround: Reset alarms after upgrade[/note]
[note]Wi-Fi settings don't roam when phone is upgraded to Windows 10.
Workaround: Manually set Wi-Fi settings when on Windows 10.[/note]
[note]Additional language keyboards may not be present and may not be able to install on US builds after upgrading to Windows 10.
Workaround: Reopen the Windows Insider app and re-select Insider Fast/Slow again. The download of keyboard packages will then work.[/note]
[note]Photos app will fail to launch periodically when attempting to add a photo attachment to an email, OneNote or Facebook item.
Workaround: Try again. Succeeds after a few attempts[/note]
[note]Quiet Hours is missing the automatic rule that enables Quiet hours during calendar appointments marked busy. Also the setting "Anyone breaks through if they call 2 times in 3 minutes" us unchecked but enabled.[/note]
[note]Apps are not displayed in Battery saver after the upgrade.[/note]
[note]Access Point Names (APNs) in recovery images can fall out of date. For some phones/networks, this will block the cellular data and MMS capabilities of a phone when recovering back to the base image.
Workaround: Before using the Windows Mobile Recovery Tool to recover, record the specific APN settings on your phone. Set manually once phone restored.[/note]
[note]Cellular data not working while roaming, despite enabling data roaming.
Workaround : The setting doesn't work the first time it's enabled. Turning off and then turning on again will enable data while roaming.[/note]
[note]Using a Bluetooth headset while playing back video results in low frame rate for video, due to a bug in the interaction between video playback and Bluetooth.
Workaround: Use wired headset for listening to audio when playing videos.[/note]
[note]Sync to Microsoft Band doesn't work after updating to Windows 10. If you have your phone synced to Microsoft band, it will not pair after the update to Windows 10.
Workaround: After upgrade to Windows 10, go to Bluetooth settings, un-pair the Microsoft Band device and re-pair it.[/note]
[note]DataSense resets data use history on upgrade to Windows 10.
No workaround: Will calculate correctly after the reset.[/note]
[note]Trying to set lock screen picture will fail at times.
Workaround: Re-attempt the operation.[/note]
[note]After upgrade, tapping on "Playlist" from start screen or from within Music App fails to play music. Playlists are greyed out.[/note]
[note]Cortana tile and settings are missing on the start screen after upgrade.
Workaround: Go to app list and re-pin the tile[/note]
[/info]

[WARN] It is worth noting that the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones is testing software and as such there is a risk that in using it you will encounter bugs and defects that will not be there in the final version.

Please bear this in mind when deciding if you want to install this software.[/WARN]

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Bugs & Defects Thread

I've encountered something that I haven't seen reported yet. Perhaps I'm the only one experiencing it, but I'll report it both here and through the feedback app on my phone.

When using Cortana, she obtains my location by determining where my IP is located. When using Maps, it correctly uses my GPS service in order to provide my location. If I go to location in any map or GPS program, it correctly shows my current location. Getting my weather in any weather app with location permission properly obtains my local weather. If I ask Cortana for my weather, I get weather for somewhere in Kansas and I'm located in Mississippi. Not cool, so I have to tell her the specific city and state that I want weather for, or it will be incorrect.

I've tried to find a setting to allow her to use my location, but can't find it. I know she is using IP based location, because I asked her, "What is my current location?" and she replied that I was someplace in Kansas. I went to the site, whatismyip.com, and traced my IP, and it showed the IP in that city. Tonight I asked my location, and she says, Franklin, TN, even though I'm in the same place in Mississippi that I was when she said I was in Kansas. And yes, my IP has changed and now reflects Franklin, TN. At least it's a bit closer, but still off by quite a bit.

Sachin A

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Adding additional keyboard language(English US and other) always fails and says `attention required'. Even the workaround didn't helped me.:eck:

Neetesh Dixit

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Phone gets heated when playing games after installing technical preview.

battery draining faster then earlier.

multiple app crashes

settings different UI for "Extras" (option really small, harder to click and get response on the first attempt).

No default backgrounds available.

White screen while choosing a app for lock screen

less audio tones

brightness setting doesn't work

Send feedback is disabled, you cannot change the status

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

Family room is missing :(
Hey Cortana is listed in settings but does not work at all

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

One more annoying thing is how all the live tiles flip at the same time. Even the photo tile now flips instead of the old scroll/slide animation.

geoghotas

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

when i TP 10 update there are no more my previous groups, & you cannot add the any word in the dictionary & also there is no offline voice messages & they should put the numbers on the top of keyboard & The caller ID or when some one calling with photo there is a mistake its forehead shown the name, number they can put the little smooth name on the top of keyboard. and dial paid number its seems too small must have grace look

Harshv61

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

This seems to be a very serious bug. While playing a MP4 video on default xbox video app, suddenly player freezed and with that my 830 also freezed.. No display..
Pressing power, vol.down+power isnt helping either.
Guys, how to reboot the phone ?

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Holding the language symbol on the keyboard shows only the language I'm using, not all the keyboards set.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

This seems to be a very serious bug. While playing a MP4 video on default xbox video app, suddenly player freezed and with that my 830 also freezed.. No display..
Pressing power, vol.down+power isnt helping either.
Guys, how to reboot the phone ?

In my case (920), hold the power and the volume down buttons for about 10 seconds. Try looking in the manual, it should be mentioned there.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I've encountered something that I haven't seen reported yet. Perhaps I'm the only one experiencing it, but I'll report it both here and through the feedback app on my phone.

When using Cortana, she obtains my location by determining where my IP is located. When using Maps, it correctly uses my GPS service in order to provide my location. If I go to location in any map or GPS program, it correctly shows my current location. Getting my weather in any weather app with location permission properly obtains my local weather. If I ask Cortana for my weather, I get weather for somewhere in Kansas and I'm located in Mississippi. Not cool, so I have to tell her the specific city and state that I want weather for, or it will be incorrect.

I've tried to find a setting to allow her to use my location, but can't find it. I know she is using IP based location, because I asked her, "What is my current location?" and she replied that I was someplace in Kansas. I went to the site, whatismyip.com, and traced my IP, and it showed the IP in that city. Tonight I asked my location, and she says, Franklin, TN, even though I'm in the same place in Mississippi that I was when she said I was in Kansas. And yes, my IP has changed and now reflects Franklin, TN. At least it's a bit closer, but still off by quite a bit.

I believe this to be true as I cant get Cortana at all which I think is because I dont live in the states. I tryed changing my region, speach and language to USA but still no joy

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site

What firmware are you guys on. Mine isn't listed under extra+info or the about section. But I think I'm still on Denim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte