W10M Insider Bugs & Defects Thread (pre 10586.164)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
re: W10M Insider Bugs & Defects Thread

For some of these issues, you can solve using a hard reset

1 - Edge works fine after an HR
2 - the sloooow phone pad iussue due to new function Link name to numbers: when you start typing a number, Peolpe tryes to find names starting with it. A very sloooow process. Try disabling it in settings
3 - WhatsApp: keyboard bug popping twice is spread on all apps
4 - HotSpot: known bug since 3 / 4 builds

All the rest, an Hard Reset will resolve all ;)

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site

1 - Edge works fine after an HR
2 - the sloooow phone pad iussue due to new function Link name to numbers: when you start typing a number, Peolpe tryes to find names starting with it. A very sloooow process. Try disabling it in settings
3 - WhatsApp: keyboard bug popping twice is spread on all apps
4 - HotSpot: known bug since 3 / 4 builds

All the rest, an Hard Reset will resolve all ;)

Thank you to you both. Will do the hard reset today at lunch. :)

EDIT: /sighs how do I unlink numbers and names? I can't find it :(

Last edited:

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Found it!
Phone -> Scroll to History -> ... ->Settings

Funny thing, it made no difference. If I start typing numbers then it will search a contact's number but at the same (slow) speed.
Anyways, thank you for the help :)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Found it!

Funny thing, it made no difference. If I start typing numbers then it will search a contact's number but at the same (slow) speed.

sorry that's not that. I can't help more due to menu language localization- In Italian they translated in a 2 lines sentence

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 830 here on AT&T running Build 10586.63.

For the past several days, none of my pinned "allowed to run in the background" apps are updating in the background on their own to show live tile updates or notifications. This includes Windows Central, Outlook Mail, Amazing Weather HD, and Weather Channel apps. At first I thought it was just an issue with the Windows Central app but then found it to be all of them and is only happening when I am on Cellular LTE connection. On WiFi the apps update normally (every 30 minutes). I almost never use WiFi so this is a real issue for me and was not happening in previous builds.

But I don't really know if this is related to the .63 Build or a store update I had a few days ago for Network & Wireless app. That could be the issue. I've tried toggling on/off Airplane Mode, soft resets, unpinning and uninstalling apps, etc. Nothing works. I really don't feel like doing a hard reset over this.

Could I have a bad AT&T SIM card? I haven't had any issues like this in the past. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 830 here on AT&T running Build 10586.63.

For the past several days, none of my pinned "allowed to run in the background" apps are updating in the background on their own to show live tile updates or notifications. This includes Windows Central, Outlook Mail, Amazing Weather HD, and Weather Channel apps. At first I thought it was just an issue with the Windows Central app but then found it to be all of them and is only happening when I am on Cellular LTE connection. On WiFi the apps update normally (every 30 minutes). I almost never use WiFi so this is a real issue for me and was not happening in previous builds.

But I don't really know if this is related to the .63 Build or a store update I had a few days ago for Network & Wireless app. That could be the issue. I've tried toggling on/off Airplane Mode, soft resets, unpinning and uninstalling apps, etc. Nothing works. I really don't feel like doing a hard reset over this.

Could I have a bad AT&T SIM card? I haven't had any issues like this in the past. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Update - looks like this issue is related to the Data Usage app!

After upgrading to the .63 Build I kept getting the annoying you have used up your data limit warnings every time I would reboot my phone or toggle a cellular/WiFi connection on. I was nowhere near my data limit on AT&T but because of this issue the Data Usage app stopped running my apps in the background all week. So today I went in and removed my monthly set data usage limit and restarted the phone. Now I no longer get the data limit warning and apps on cellular LTE are working normally again. Hope MS fixes this crap in the next build or pushes out an update to the Data Usage app SOON! :asleep:

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Found it!

Something is going on with your phone , mine works super fast (1020) I always search for name, rather than number, but either way it's very fast

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Thank you to you both. Will do the hard reset today at lunch. :)
EDIT: /sighs how do I unlink numbers and names? I can't find it :(

Please let us know how is your phone performing after the hard reset. I have my L1020 on 10586.63 and it works perfectly with great battery life.
1020 battery usage.png1020 battery.png

Last edited:

ZoiBH

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I have installed W10M insider preview (now on latest, updated several versions ago). Now I need to get it back to 8.1 and the problem is that recovery tool instantly crashes when I connect my phone to the PC. Is there any solution to this problem?

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Its been two months I've installed the Tech preview on my 720. Although im thoroughly enjoying Windows 10, these are the few problems I've been facing.

1. yes, the dial pad is awfully slow and doesn't register numbers. Also I don't think it highlights which number is pressed.

2. Random freezes, specially on the home screen.

3. FM radio volume goes down when a call is being received but once the call is answered through headset, the volume goes up, so there's the call audio + FM Radio running in background. Pressing Home button sometimes mutes FM, although not always.

4. Phone gets Hot.

5. Skype+ messaging is awfully slow

6. Photos app crashes after some time.

7. Data doesn't get enabled even if it shows as enabled. Multiple reboots and/or airplane toggle gets it back.

8. Lock screen issues like someone mentioned above.

Hope the coming builds make it better :)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Its been two months I've installed the Tech preview on my 720. Although im thoroughly enjoying Windows 10, these are the few problems I've been facing.

1. yes, the dial pad is awfully slow and doesn't register numbers. Also I don't think it highlights which number is pressed.

2. Random freezes, specially on the home screen.

3. FM radio volume goes down when a call is being received but once the call is answered through headset, the volume goes up, so there's the call audio + FM Radio running in background. Pressing Home button sometimes mutes FM, although not always.

4. Phone gets Hot.

5. Skype+ messaging is awfully slow

6. Photos app crashes after some time.

7. Data doesn't get enabled even if it shows as enabled. Multiple reboots and/or airplane toggle gets it back.

8. Lock screen issues like someone mentioned above.

Hope the coming builds make it better :)

Log out skype from Skype, it will boot Messages app, reduce battery drain and heating.
For data, surely your APN sim settings are lost. Check and correct according to your carrier settings

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Log out skype from Skype, it will boot Messages app, reduce battery drain and heating.
For data, surely your APN sim settings are lost. Check and correct according to your carrier settings

Hmmm, will try the skype thing. But abt the data, all the settings are intact. I have a manual apn set and yet i can see the E or H symbol next to my carriers name. But it doesnt get enabled even if the switch says it is enabled.

PJLeenders

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

On my 1020 I had multiple problems with the Technical preview.

1. Camera would freeze on occasion and sometimes cause phone to crash.

2. Mobile hotspot did not work properly and would cause immense battery drain.

My 1020 died, possibly related to these issues, but I can not be certain of that. So I went back to my old 920. This also gives me issues:

1. Same mobile hotspot problems.

2. Lock screen issues. Sometimes the glance screen is just not there until a reboot.

3. Groove music often logs out

4. I get messages from 2 of my 4 email accounts multiple times a day saying my settings are out of date. They are not.

I'm thinking about getting a 950XL. Any of you know if any of these issues are typical of the OS, or are they typical for the OS on older phones? Is the 950XL known to have the same issues?

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

4. I get messages from 2 of my 4 email accounts multiple times a day saying my settings are out of date. They are not.
I ran into this with a couple of my own accounts. What the issued turned out to be (for me at least) was using Yahoo mail and syncing the mailbox on both my phone and PC was triggering a bot alert on the Yahoo side. So the only way to clear this issue was to first login to Yahoo through the web site and take care of the bot captcha requirement. Next I had to change the settings on my phone and PC to adjust the sync settings to a less frequent time. It was defaulting to every 2 hours, but since the phone and PC were not polling at the same time, it looked to Yahoo like I was polling from different addresses every hour or so. Since I changed this setting to check for mail manually on my PC the problem has gone away.

Keeping in mind, this was only an issue with Yahoo for me. I'm not sure if a similar solution would work for an outlook, hotmail, gmail or other provider accounts. If you are only syncing these particular accounts on your phone, you may want to test it by changing your mail polling to manual for a few days and see if that helps. Certainly that is not the perfect solution, but it might point you in the right direction to getting things working correctly.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I have installed W10M insider preview (now on latest, updated several versions ago). Now I need to get it back to 8.1 and the problem is that recovery tool instantly crashes when I connect my phone to the PC. Is there any solution to this problem?

Make sure you connect your phone to the PC when it's off. The running WDRT should pick it up on boot. If that is not the problem, uninstall the windows device recovery tool, remove the Phone driver form device manager when your phone is plugged in. Reboot. Let device manager pick up drivers for your phone after boot when you connect phone to PC. Unplug your phone, turn it off. Install WDRT and try again. If it still doesn't work, try on a different PC.
good luck

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Please let us know how is your phone performing after the hard reset. I have my L1020 on 10586.63 and it works perfectly with great battery life.

This few days, I've been experiencing a more reliable battery life, one thing worth noting: the usage has been reduced.
Last friday, I decided to measure it and the battery usage was around 10% per hour. (sometimes more, sometimes less) it lasted from 8am to 5pm and I still had around 30% battery.
The major culprit is WhatsApp... and the screen (for obvious reasons). I use WhatsApp quite often during the day. Also, mobile data uses 11.4% in my case, I've seen you have 0% of mobile data. That's interesting.

Another thing worth noting: This friday, I forgot my charger (qi charger, USB port is dead on the lumia 1020) and I had around 58% charge. In order to save charge, I decided to use WhatsApp web and by mid day, I still had like 30-40% of the charge (I still used the phone for one or two calls or a little facebook). So, Whatsapp Web seems to be a real battery saver.

Other options that I have checked:
- No glance (Also, for some reason is crashing to home screen)
- All mails are updated hourly, Notification is on
- Calendar notifications are on
- Facebook notifications are turned on
- WhatsApp notifications are turned On

I'm charging the phone at the moment. I'll write tomorrow to report the battery usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett