W10M Insider Bugs & Defects Thread (pre 10586.164)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
re: W10M Insider Bugs & Defects Thread

This few days, I've been experiencing a more reliable battery life, one thing worth noting: the usage has been reduced.
Last friday, I decided to measure it and the battery usage was around 10% per hour. (sometimes more, sometimes less) it lasted from 8am to 5pm and I still had around 30% battery.
The major culprit is WhatsApp... and the screen (for obvious reasons). I use WhatsApp quite often during the day. Also, mobile data uses 11.4% in my case, I've seen you have 0% of mobile data. That's interesting.

Another thing worth noting: This friday, I forgot my charger (qi charger, USB port is dead on the lumia 1020) and I had around 58% charge. In order to save charge, I decided to use WhatsApp web and by mid day, I still had like 30-40% of the charge (I still used the phone for one or two calls or a little facebook). So, Whatsapp Web seems to be a real battery saver.

Other options that I have checked:
- No glance (Also, for some reason is crashing to home screen)
- All mails are updated hourly, Notification is on
- Calendar notifications are on
- Facebook notifications are turned on
- WhatsApp notifications are turned on.

Wait a moment: are you using whatsapp web ON PHONE directly???? Never heard before :excited:
EDIT
In fact, you can't. Simply you used whatsapp FROM YOUR PC, not Lumia. :asleep:
Saying Whatsapp web is a phone battery saver is really misleading....

The 2nd culprit is Skype when you forgot to logout, even without background app allowed or installed

Last edited:

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Wait a moment: are you using whatsapp web ON PHONE directly???? Never heard before :excited:
EDIT
In fact, you can't. Simply you used whatsapp FROM YOUR PC, not Lumia. :asleep:
Saying Whatsapp web is a phone battery saver is really misleading....

The 2nd culprit is Skype when you forgot to logout, even without background app allowed or installed

Sorry Maurizio, I think I didn't explain myself very clear hehe.
What you said in your edit is what I meant. Using Whatsapp web from my PC

If you use WhatsApp web from your PC, you will use your phone less and this will result in a better battery life.

Sorry if my words were misleading :amaze:

Regarding Skype, I never use it :( it's just too slow. I rather use the messaging app.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

This few days, I've been experiencing a more reliable battery life, one thing worth noting: the usage has been reduced.
Last friday, I decided to measure it and the battery usage was around 10% per hour. (sometimes more, sometimes less) it lasted from 8am to 5pm and I still had around 30% battery.
The major culprit is WhatsApp... and the screen (for obvious reasons). I use WhatsApp quite often during the day. Also, mobile data uses 11.4% in my case, I've seen you have 0% of mobile data. That's interesting.

Another thing worth noting: This friday, I forgot my charger (qi charger, USB port is dead on the lumia 1020) and I had around 58% charge. In order to save charge, I decided to use WhatsApp web and by mid day, I still had like 30-40% of the charge (I still used the phone for one or two calls or a little facebook). So, Whatsapp Web seems to be a real battery saver.

Other options that I have checked:
- No glance (Also, for some reason is crashing to home screen)
- All mails are updated hourly, Notification is on
- Calendar notifications are on
- Facebook notifications are turned on
- WhatsApp notifications are turned On

I'm charging the phone at the moment. I'll write tomorrow to report the battery usage.

Thank you for the details. Its really helpful to understand our phones better.

I've seen you have 0% of mobile data. That's interesting.

I have WiFi in most of the places. So I am using WiFi all the time and mostly my sim is used in my L1520.

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the details. Its really helpful to understand our phones better.
I have WiFi in most of the places. So I am using WiFi all the time and mostly my sim is used in my L1520.

Ah, that explains :)

Now, regarding my battery.
Using WhatsApp Web from my PC has been extremely useful. Yesterday, at 12:30pm, I picked my phone from the qi charger and it was at 100%. I do not receive many calls and checked facebook like twice during the day, maybe trice. I did use it, lightly but I did used it and by 10pm I still had 43% of the battery. I then turned on Airplane mode and by today's morning I had 37% battery

I think I am satisfied with the battery life. If the people from IT blocks WhatsApp web... well, that's going to suck. I must note that while the phone screen is in use, the battery does die rather quickly (Playing Mahjong, constantly checking facebook, constantly checking whatsapp, reading webcomics or books, things like that) but I guess that's only logical.

I think that sometimes we forget how much of a battery killer the screen is... and how much we use it during the day.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Ah, that explains :)

Now, regarding my battery.
Using WhatsApp Web from my PC has been extremely useful. Yesterday, at 12:30pm, I picked my phone from the qi charger and it was at 100%. I do not receive many calls and checked facebook like twice during the day, maybe trice. I did use it, lightly but I did used it and by 10pm I still had 43% of the battery. I then turned on Airplane mode and by today's morning I had 37% battery

I think I am satisfied with the battery life. If the people from IT blocks WhatsApp web... well, that's going to suck. I must note that while the phone screen is in use, the battery does die rather quickly (Playing Mahjong, constantly checking facebook, constantly checking whatsapp, reading webcomics or books, things like that) but I guess that's only logical.

I think that sometimes we forget how much of a battery killer the screen is... and how much we use it during the day.

The last culprit is the location service ;) but it's necessary for a lot of apps

Chart8006

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Found an answer to getting hotspot working on the phone in the following:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/mobile-hotspot-does-not-work-on-phone-drops-on/592c3c50-7d4e-45f4-9392-dd45bcd3fece?page=7

Add the necessary verbiage at the beginning for a link since I don't have 10 yet to post links.

Tried the advice to remove all known WiFi networks on the phone and the hotspot started working. I'm using a 925 on the .71 latest Insider update.

Good Luck

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

.71 issues: 1) skype call phone does not work. 2) calendar month view sometimes does not show tasks / events. 3) year view show nothing except calendar itself. there are no high lights at all for dates which have tasks/ events. 4) some 3rd party apps not working anymore ( working on previous version)
640 xl lte ds/ hard reset after .71 update, all latest

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

BE AWARE: Alarm app doesn't work well. It sleeps right through the scheduled wake time. Only comes on after I unlock the screen!

On the other hand, battery life seems good so far. For the first time in long while phone doesn't feel warm just sitting on charging pad. Maybe they killed many background processes including the alarm.

Lumia 920

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

BE AWARE: Alarm app doesn't work well. It sleeps right through the scheduled wake time. Only comes on after I unlock the screen!

On the other hand, battery life seems good so far. For the first time in long while phone doesn't feel warm just sitting on charging pad. Maybe they killed many background processes including the alarm.

Lumia 920

Clear and set again alarms and ringtone, it works well, you have to do everytime after an o.s. and app update

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

UPDATE: not even a single crash after my little 520 24H abuse. Guinnes World Record to last W10M build on 512 MB ram

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

just updated outlook and calendar this morning. but the event indicator on the month view is still no show. soft reset does not fix it. there is also no indicators at all for year show. anyone else have this problem?
640xl lte ds

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

just updated outlook and calendar this morning. but the event indicator on the month view is still no show. soft reset does not fix it. there is also no indicators at all for year show. anyone else have this problem?
640xl lte ds

Tried adding a dummy event, returning to home screen, and then removing it?

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

it works only if i click that event. then it will show on the month view. i just installed another 3rd party calendar called 'one calendar' which (need to log on and sync by itself, but works beautifully). looks like there is still bug with the system calendar.
Sent from my Tapatalk Win10 edition

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yesterday when hitting the windows button I got 'resuming', and was not able to get out of it. This was after going to the messaging app from a notification. I closed everything, else, still no luck. I could launch apps with Cortana, but the start screen didn't come back until I restarted. Weird, hope it's a one off.. WP10 10586.29, 950XL dual sim.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Yesterday when hitting the windows button I got 'resuming', and was not able to get out of it. This was after going to the messaging app from a notification. I closed everything, else, still no luck. I could launch apps with Cortana, but the start screen didn't come back until I restarted. Weird, hope it's a one off.. WP10 10586.29, 950XL dual sim.

Sometimes happens with the new Messages + Skype app, I hate that new app.
I resolve with long tapping back key, and swipin down Messages app, for returning Start and re open Messages normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99