Experience using Windows 10 on your device

Hakeem Greeen

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I know Windows 10 for phones is only in technical preview but I find it alot smoother than Windows 8.1.

1. No resuming screen(there's a blue screen now lol)
2. Less lag(without hard resetting)
3. IE crashes less
4. And alot more

I've had a good experience using Windows 10 for phones and I'm looking forward to new updates (* cough * cough music app). I've heard some people having serious issues but I haven't had any trouble. What's your take on the update? How's it run on your device?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I know a lot of folks will have mixed results when trying out the preview for phones, depending on what they're trying to do. A lot of us with the high end phones don't have it yet, so it's nice to see some positive feedback.

Let us know if there's anything else significant that you run into.

Hakeem Greeen

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I know a lot of folks will have mixed results when trying out the preview for phones, depending on what they're trying to do. A lot of us with the high end phones don't have it yet, so it's nice to see some positive feedback.

Let us know if there's anything else significant that you run into.
Sure. Will do. I find it less buggy. I've noticed a few features that aren't mentioned. I'll try to remember to post it when I get on my computer later.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm certainly having a good experience overall with the Windows 10 preview for phones myself. Cortana is unable to do a few things that I am used to her doing, but no biggy. I can't edit/delete reminders and other stuff, and alarms will not sound during quiet hours.

Something I can get used to and work around until things are working again. Some features just haven't been added yet. I must say, I'd rather put up with what's missing just to have the "Speech to text" for every text box in the system. Anywhere you can type, you can now speak. I'm loving it.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't have it for my device as yet (1020) but I wanna ask others who have it,from videos I see online make me wanna ask question since I see changes to the UI,in the Phone app,when selected you see history by default and usually swipe left to right and get to speed dial quickly and Dialer at the bottom,can you still swipe from left to right and easily switch to between history and speed dial or you ha e to stretch your fingers till to the top to select

Hakeem Green1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't have it for my device as yet (1020) but I wanna ask others who have it,from videos I see online make me wanna ask question since I see changes to the UI,in the Phone app,when selected you see history by default and usually swipe left to right and get to speed dial quickly and Dialer at the bottom,can you still swipe from left to right and easily switch to between history and speed dial or you ha e to stretch your fingers till to the top to select

Pivot is pretty much dead in Windows 10. So unfortunately there's no swipe. You have to stretch to the top to click it and sometimes you have to precisely click on the icon for it to work.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Cortana and Photos are the only two big disappointments. It's just another example of how sometimes we go back a few steps before going forward. I have a hard time understanding why the windows team does this stuff. I have no doubt that it'll get fixed soon. I guess the question is, did they have to include the new photos app while being very buggy and limited? I'm assuming that's the reason they didn't include the mail app yet. The new photo app really reminds me of the xbox music app. It use to be fast, now it's slow and you mostly see a loading message. Maybe it's worse on my 635 since i'm using an sd card and have tens of thousands of photos in my onedrive. Cortana is handycaped now, she often doesn't even konw my contacts anymore. I also think the design of Cortana went backwards too. Despite all that, I do love the preview so far.

Hakeem Green1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
After installing I noticed that when using the photo selector you now have the choice to select any app you want to upload it. When using the twitter app you can choose the app you want to upload from while before you could only upload from the photohub(Screenshots here)
wp_ss_20150214_0004[1].pngwp_ss_20150214_0003.png

Hakeem Green1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Cortana and Photos are the only two big disappointments. It's just another example of how sometimes we go back a few steps before going forward. I have a hard time understanding why the windows team does this stuff. I have no doubt that it'll get fixed soon. I guess the question is, did they have to include the new photos app while being very buggy and limited? I'm assuming that's the reason they didn't include the mail app yet. The new photo app really reminds me of the xbox music app. It use to be fast, now it's slow and you mostly see a loading message. Maybe it's worse on my 635 since i'm using an sd card and have tens of thousands of photos in my onedrive. Cortana is handycaped now, she often doesn't even konw my contacts anymore. I also think the design of Cortana went backwards too. Despite all that, I do love the preview so far.

It's definitely because of onedrive. :p I have a Lumia 635 with a 16gb class 4 and photos loading isn't fast but it's acceptable. OneDrive does take a while to load tho

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Pivot is pretty much dead in Windows 10. So unfortunately there's no swipe. You have to stretch to the top to click it and sometimes you have to precisely click on the icon for it to work.

This is quite sad,for many persons with small hands or just ease of use, you gotta stretch fingers to top instead of easily swiping left to right to access speed dial or history to make call is quite saddening, hope there is feedback on the issue to them.i'll check user voice

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I keep hearing people complain about Cortana being a step back, and asking why Microsoft would do that. Understandable to question it... and I just happen to have the answer for it.

Here is how it is: Cortana was originally written for Windows Phone 8.1 as a very tightly integrated Windows Phone 8.1 app. Now, Cortana is having to be rewritten from the ground up as a Windows 10 Universal App, and still keep the tight integration. She will be the same Cortana on the Phone, Desktop, or where ever you use her. (Think Tablets, Hololens, Surface Hub, laptop, phone, desktop, perhaps one day a smart TV.)

Because she is being rewritten from the ground up to become a universal app with shared code, the coding is having to be done like it was initially... a little at a time. That's why so much is currently missing. It will get added back and much, much more capability will come with it. Along with getting all the functionality plus a whole lot more functionality, we will also be getting more region and language support. First, they have to finish writing her core, then the rest will begin to fall into place fairly rapidly.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This is quite sad,for many persons with small hands or just ease of use, you gotta stretch fingers to top instead of easily swiping left to right to access speed dial or history to make call is quite saddening, hope there is feedback on the issue to them.i'll check user voice

Please see, Someone needs to send this to Microsoft. Lots of people are already discussing this in that thread. Some for, some against, etc. Good to have intelligent discussion on it though.

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
So far so good. I like how the keyboard has less lag when I'm using word flow. That's what it's called right? I always want to call it swype.

I also like how apps seem to resume a little quicker as well.
Sent from my Lumia. ?\_(ツ)_/?

For what I see, the preview is very good...I was expecting it to be a quite buggy one, but many people are speaking well of it.

I have a 1020, and will wait for the official preview to land on for my phone.

You guys that already have the preview installed, follow rhapdog's advice: report your dislikes to Microsoft via feedback app (there's one, right?) so that it can be worked out by them

Best regards

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
it isnt about how fast or how slow ... its about how broken and rough it is .... (too early)
UI is a mix of 8.1 and i-dont-know-what
trust me i used it for 2 days
reverted to 8.1 today
the UI elements resolution seemed to be out of place....
even the photos app was too buggy ... ( kept showing pics that i deleted) (the edit button sent me to the basic editor instead of showing choices)
about cortana ? i dont use it much ....
other apps ... most of them worked ... while some like FTP explorer didnt...
the resolution of the dialer app changed ... too small
too unstable for daily use
sometimes slow in registering touches
and there was lag in start screen as well as app drawer

i know there isnt much use telling all these stuff here ..
but just letting other people know ...
people might have already made feedbacks in uservoice.

those who are planning on WP10 TP .... hold your horses...
wait until a more stable update is released !

Marcus Hock

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you know is there native .GIF support in windows 10 (for phones)? Either in photos or in the messaging app? I would really love to see this sometime soon.

Hakeem Green1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Do you know is there native .GIF support in windows 10 (for phones)? Either in photos or in the messaging app? I would really love to see this sometime soon.

Unfortunately not. Surprised this has went unnoticed. Been waiting for this for some time. Maybe we should create a thread on it, submit feedback and hopefully Microsoft will see it.

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
One more annoying thing is how all the live tiles flip at the same time. Even the photo tile now flips instead of the old scroll/slide animation

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
it isnt about how fast or how slow ... its about how broken and rough it is .... (too early)
UI is a mix of 8.1 and i-dont-know-what
trust me i used it for 2 days
reverted to 8.1 today
the UI elements resolution seemed to be out of place....
even the photos app was too buggy ... ( kept showing pics that i deleted) (the edit button sent me to the basic editor instead of showing choices)
about cortana ? i dont use it much ....
other apps ... most of them worked ... while some like FTP explorer didnt...
the resolution of the dialer app changed ... too small
too unstable for daily use
sometimes slow in registering touches
and there was lag in start screen as well as app drawer

i know there isnt much use telling all these stuff here ..
but just letting other people know ...
people might have already made feedbacks in uservoice.

those who are planning on WP10 TP .... hold your horses...
wait until a more stable update is released !

​Well the major reason they're allowing us to download it is to give feedback on the early bits. It wouldn't help if we all reverted instead of helping MS test and ultimately improve the things we believe need improving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo