My review of w10 on a Lumia 1520

jackxlj

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
So I took the step and did the hack to allow me to install windows 10 on my L1520...first the bad
. Lots of themed color splashes between screen changes.photo app takes a few tries to launch.
Now to the good, its almost as smooth as wp8.1, the battery life is just as good as 8.1, and Microsoft already has a branch of w10 for 1520. I have receive three updates that are 1520 specific, and my tp branch is even listed as awsome_1520. I'm loving it so far

jackxlj

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I redid the hack after restoring w10, and checked Lumia 1520 instead of 635, the branch changed to 1520 on restart and there were updates available. As for differences,I'm not sure since I never ran it on the other branch to tell. I do know that on xda people are complaint about battery life,but I used my phone for 24 hours without charging, I use my phone at work 10 hours, as a cooking clock and to look up recopied,I didn't charge it till I woke up this morning, with three email accounts and texts I was still at 13%. I think the patches were optimizations for the 1520s specific hardware

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, can you try if you can access the following settings on your 1520 brach?
Settings > Extras > Glance Screen
& Settings > Time & Language > Language
& Starting the camera from locked phone with code enabled.

Those did not work on my 1520 with the 'normal' TP branch (and of course I reported them in the insider app). As far as battery life is concerned, it was also fine on my 1520,

Thanks a lot!

lb2013

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So how exactly did you change it back to Lumia 1520 and keep Windows Insider working without telling you there are no builds for you since 1520 is not official yet on MSFT servers?

1. I used Fiddler to change model to 635 and install w10 for phones
2. After w10 install, all working, but when I try to use hack and change back to 1520 and save, then
3. select Fast from hack menu, then save again, then
4. reboot phone, when I come back to Check for Updates, there are no new 1520 or any other updates as you mention.
5. If I use Windows Insider app again, since I change model back to 1520, it tells me there are no builds for me.

Please post order you did things and what to get back to 1520 branch after installing w10 on 1520 via hack to mimic 635 for install.

Thanks in advance!!

jackxlj

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I did it exactly as you say,though I didn't go to windows insider to get updates,I went to the updater built into windows itself

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
After you update to W10, the device ID resets, so there's no need to "change it" to 1520. (that's what i've heard, can't confirm)
Also I don't think there are any updates for W10, GabeAul said it himself (there wont be fixes in between builds).

jackxlj

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Not sure,I reset it via app regardless. Also Gabe's blog.post where he announced w10 for phones specifically mentions periodic updates as long as the trial is on going. If you read the xda forum posts as well,a few people mention getting updates after installing w10 on various phones. Perhaps it's because they are test devices?we know they used a l1520 to show off w10, maybe more frequent updates are added to its channel in prep for it going live

jackxlj

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Gabe says in his blog that there will be periodic updates to w10 for phones. Also several different models were reported to get a few updates after w10 install in xda forums,maybe ms adding more updates to unsupported phone channels in prep of them going live?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Here are two tweets saying fixes MOSTLY come in new builds, except if the problem is urgent.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
How is the video player if streaming? Are you still limited to 30 sec intervals or can you move a slider to search/scrub?

Every video I've tried so far has the slider on it

I've also noticed videos aren't giving me the save or open option anymore it just played within the browser so far in my experience.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
review:
noun
a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation.
the process of going over a subject again in study or recitation in order to fix it in the memory or summarize the facts.
an exercise designed or intended for study of this kind.
a general survey of something, especially in words; a report or account of something.
an inspection or examination by viewing, especially a formal inspection of any military or naval force, parade, or the like.
a periodical publication containing articles on current events or affairs, books, art, etc.:
a literary review.
a judicial reexamination, as by a higher court, of the decision or proceedings in a case.

come on OP! :winktongue:

geoghotas

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
So how exactly did you change it back to Lumia 1520 and keep Windows Insider working without telling you there are no builds for you since 1520 is not official yet on MSFT servers?

1. I used Fiddler to change model to 635 and install w10 for phones
2. After w10 install, all working, but when I try to use hack and change back to 1520 and save, then
3. select Fast from hack menu, then save again, then
4. reboot phone, when I come back to Check for Updates, there are no new 1520 or any other updates as you mention.
5. If I use Windows Insider app again, since I change model back to 1520, it tells me there are no builds for me.

Please post order you did things and what to get back to 1520 branch after installing w10 on 1520 via hack to mimic 635 for install.

Thanks in advance!!

fidler core not working with my L1520 would like to give me some kind of guidelines for hack current installed lumia 8.1 & flashed it kindly give me total process quick... if you dont mind...

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Had you try to install BlueStacks on your w10 on the 1520?
I would like to try it but I don't want to install a hacked version. The 1520 is my everyday phone.
I am using Bluestacks on my Windows 10 pc right now, and because w10 is the same on all devices, Bluestacks should work on windows phone 10 as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon