Windows 10 Tech Preview & E-Mail

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Does Windows 10 Tech Preview for phones finally allow file types beyond photos and docs to be downloaded from and attached to e-mails? A real world example for me deals with AutoCAD drawings when I am at remote job sites. Thanks to Verizon, I can generally count on having at least 3G available at these jobsites. Back in my Windows Mobile 6.5 days using the HTC TouchPro2, I could download AutoCAD .DWG drawings and save them to my phone. From there I could transfer them with a USB cable or via Bluetooth, edit them, copy back to my phone, and e-mail revisions. WP7 and WP8/8.1 eliminated that ability. Please note, I understand that I could pay to use my phone as a mobile hotspot, I just don't want to give Verizon any MORE money.

Thanks,
Dave

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Right now downloading raw attachments still isn't supported. It might be coming in a later build though, since this version doesn't include the overhauled email app yet.

That said, WP8.1 does support attaching almost any file, so your workflow should be possible even right now. You can connect your phone to your computer and save the file. When you're ready to email the file, browse to it using the file browser for 8.1, select share, choose email, and the file should attach, even if it's an unrecognized file type.

Here's a link to Microsoft's file browser for 8.1 if you don't have it already: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, what you want to do is definitely possible. You can even use the Files app to browse folders on the phone and then "Share" to email to send.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05