is location needed for Cortana?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks. i want to use cortanta often but i dont want to turn on location because it kills battery.

Really? On my 930 battery is awesome with it on. It only searches when app seeks a location or Cortana searches. It's not running in background.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes battery is not an issue with location services. Keeping your wifi on is though :p

I'm on wifi 24x7 no problem with battery

Your statement on battery issue due to location would have been true if lumia relied on network location (android devices have it) rather than GPS location.
Getting GPS lock everytime you use location based apps drains juice.

why cant Cortana work with GPS off ?
like partially disable services which require location while the services which dont require location can still function ?

services which don't require location includes

interests
remind me
quiet hours
inner circle

as far as i know the only time cortana requires location is when you do a web search

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm on wifi 24x7 no problem with battery

Your statement on battery issue due to location would have been true if lumia relied on network location (android devices have it) rather than GPS location.
Getting GPS lock everytime you use location based apps drains juice.

why cant Cortana work with GPS off ?
like partially disable services which require location while the services which dont require location can still function ?

services which don't require location includes

interests
remind me
quiet hours
inner circle

as far as i know the only time cortana requires location is when you do a web search

I didn't elaborate as I was just heading into work.

Wifi can drain a decent amount if you use all the available features such as the hot spots settings and such which regularly ping for nearby free wifi, accept conditions and log in in the background.. Even when you're not specifically using the wifi.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I didn't elaborate as I was just heading into work.

Wifi can drain a decent amount if you use all the available features such as the hot spots settings and such which regularly ping for nearby free wifi, accept conditions and log in in the background.. Even when you're not specifically using the wifi.

ahh i see ... i dont leave my wifi on unless im near a hot spot !
leaving it on to detect for hot spots isnt an option for me.
where i live there arent much hot spots.
​but when im home im connected always

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is. Without location cortana does not know where she is.
And that is the same in windows 10.

You would think she would know where she is with location on, but in Windows 10, she uses IP service to obtain location, and she is always off by 1 to 3 states away from where I live. Location works otherwise, but I have to specify where I live in order to get the weather, etc. Hopefully will be fixed with next update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos