Windows 10 OTA for phones will come in 2016 I presume

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the trend of the earlier previews like Cyan, Denim etc, once the technical preview which was a RTM build was released, approx 5 to 6 months down the line the OTA is available.

Looking at Windows 10 which is just a Technical Preview and not even a BETA, its going to take a long time and I don't expect the official release as an update OTA to go live before 2016. It will come out on new flagships or handsets may be late 2015 but not as an update.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
According to gabe aul people running the tech preview should be able to update to win10 when it comes out right a way.
That's just the tech preview and subsequent builds. I'm talking about the complete stable version that will be available OTA for those who aren't registered with the Insider Program.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
if that happens i am leaving WP for good... giving priviledge to experience the early stages of the OS should not make us satisfied by how they are handling it.. 2016 is way toooooo late. personally, i would love to see it by the 3rd quarter. THEY WILL NEVER RECOVER IF THEY MISS TO RELEASE IT BEFORE OCTOBER. #justmy2cents

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well..I have an international sim-free device, and lets just say I still don't have even Denim (Hong Kong L1520).
I don't know if there's a problem with it or something, but I expect W10 before the end of the year. It would be really bad if it wasn't like that.

geoghotas

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Well..I have an international sim-free device, and lets just say I still don't have even Denim (Hong Kong L1520).
I don't know if there's a problem with it or something, but I expect W10 before the end of the year. It would be really bad if it wasn't like that.

If you are in HK you handset cannot get Denim this is not your fault or your handset kindly use the BRAIN every country have spec codes which called country variant codes if you handset is flashed with HK country variant you ill get the denim otherwise you ill have to wait for your number/ country i have flashed with HK country variant i got the denim but there were some touch issue so now i am waiting for the official for my country...

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
620 CV ITalian...no denim. so yea, CV is bull****. also CV COUNTRY is even more bull**** since from my experience almost everytime instead of you getting the update without any carrier's approval from that country, it looks like you need all of them to approve. So **** it, the frustration is too big. ms better do something about it or WP will die even with a windows 124234123123

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If you are in HK you handset cannot get Denim this is not your fault or your handset kindly use the BRAIN every country have spec codes which called country variant codes if you handset is flashed with HK country variant you ill get the denim otherwise you ill have to wait for your number/ country i have flashed with HK country variant i got the denim but there were some touch issue so now i am waiting for the official for my country...

No you did not flash with HK country variant but with Finland country variant.
Or did you forget this again?

And i have no idea what you want to say in the first part of your post?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
if that happens i am leaving WP for good... giving priviledge to experience the early stages of the OS should not make us satisfied by how they are handling it.. 2016 is way toooooo late. personally, i would love to see it by the 3rd quarter. THEY WILL NEVER RECOVER IF THEY MISS TO RELEASE IT BEFORE OCTOBER. #justmy2cents

See ya!!!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Given that Insider/Preview program is free for all, Windows 10 for phones will be available the date it is released for anyone that wants it.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Im glad in some countries the carrier doesnt decide on what update you get .. :)
and it should be like that way for everyone !

Everyone has the capability of buying a carrier free, unlocked device if they want to. But people in the US can walk out of a carrier store with a $700 high end phone for no money down. When cell phones are your hobby or main interest, it's great being able to do that, instead of having to purchase a budget 630 with 512mb of ram.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has the capability of buying a carrier free, unlocked device if they want to. But people in the US can walk out of a carrier store with a $700 high end phone for no money down. When cell phones are your hobby or main interest, it's great being able to do that, instead of having to purchase a budget 630 with 512mb of ram.

and walking out your'd have to deal with the consequences of when you're going to get the updates.
and yes that option is perfect who change phones like they change underwear.

I brought my L630 (2 weeks after it was launched) for 11000 INR which amounts to 176.5 USD. (well under my budget as of now as im currently unemployed)

I like to buy stuff instead of renting.

okay now that you mentioned that

"When cell phones are your hobby or main interest, it's great being able to do that, instead of having to purchase a budget 630 with 512mb of ram."

I don't think a hobbyist would buy a carrier locked device and walk out of the store keeping in mind that all the future updates/new features it is going to get is decided by the carrier and not by the phone manufacturer.

Even though I own a budget L630 with 512mb ram, I can breathe freely because no one except Microsoft/Nokia decide on when I get updates to my phone.

I can get my updates instantly when they push it out, unlike have to wait for months/years to get it on a carrier locked phone.

I don't think "phone enthusiasts" would like to get their updates delayed.

Oh ! I missed a point

"A locked phone usually comes with a subscriber contract that ties the user down to this network provider for one or two years. The reason why most major carriers "lock" the phone is because they subsidize its cost to entice customers to buy them. To earn back the lost revenue, they lock the subscriber in a contract."

Oh and talking about budget, I buy my phone according to what features I need. Sometimes going high end is not what you really need.

FYI 'most' people buy high end phones just to show off !

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
The way some carriers do it, that's almost guaranteed for *someone*

Oh oh oh! Does it start with a V and ends with a n?

It's almost guaranteed that W10 will be delayed by the carriers until either December or 2016. I mean unless they're "development team" goes all in the W10 once they receive it. Then no.

But ya I'll be honest here, the Canadian carriers here can be a hit or miss. I remember when Rogers was one of the first carriers in the world to carry the Lumia 920 (released before the international release date) and one of the first to update to Black firmware but ever since they've been delaying the release for weeks. I think they gave up on Windows Phone and it shows since they didn't want to carry the 1520, the 930. They got the 830 but come on the last flagship any Canadian carrier carried was the 1020....which is considered old by now. I mean I'll buy the next Lumia flagship unlocked since I don't want to be tied down to a contract but holy cow one of the reasons WP is next to none existent in Canada (btw I saw a woman using a 635 on Monday at a McDonalds lol) is because no one promotes them.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It will be exactly as it has been now with 8.1. Oh Yes, we will be able to install Windows 10 on our phones when its released this summer/fall and get the full bits. But without a doubt I would bet there is a need for new firmware to run with Win10.... and that right there, folks, is the piece we will all be waiting for again.

Look at all the past PFD. We had full 8.1 since April/June but didn't get Lumia firmware til 2 weeks ago. (Speaking of Verizon customers.) And there are others STILL waiting!

Point is, those that want 10 will be able to get it but I suspect it will be incomplete because it will lack optimized firmware. That of which will arrive in 2016.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos