Windows 10 OTA for phones will come in 2016 I presume

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It is far too early to be jumping to conclusions, MWC hasn't happened yet nor has Build.

Some people can't wait or their patience has worn thin (wouldn't blame them).

If no clear dates are given at either events (I highly doubt that will happen) then I wouldn't be surprised if people start speculating 2016 for phones.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
and walking out your'd have to deal with the consequences of when you're going to get the updates.
and yes that option is perfect who change phones like they change underwear.

I brought my L630 (2 weeks after it was launched) for 11000 INR which amounts to 176.5 USD. (well under my budget as of now as im currently unemployed)

I like to buy stuff instead of renting.

okay now that you mentioned that

"When cell phones are your hobby or main interest, it's great being able to do that, instead of having to purchase a budget 630 with 512mb of ram."

I don't think a hobbyist would buy a carrier locked device and walk out of the store keeping in mind that all the future updates/new features it is going to get is decided by the carrier and not by the phone manufacturer.

Even though I own a budget L630 with 512mb ram, I can breathe freely because no one except Microsoft/Nokia decide on when I get updates to my phone.

I can get my updates instantly when they push it out, unlike have to wait for months/years to get it on a carrier locked phone.

I don't think "phone enthusiasts" would like to get their updates delayed.

Oh ! I missed a point

"A locked phone usually comes with a subscriber contract that ties the user down to this network provider for one or two years. The reason why most major carriers "lock" the phone is because they subsidize its cost to entice customers to buy them. To earn back the lost revenue, they lock the subscriber in a contract."

Oh and talking about budget, I buy my phone according to what features I need. Sometimes going high end is not what you really need.

FYI 'most' people buy high end phones just to show off !

Getting a phone from a carrier is not "renting" it, and like I said before, people in the US have the same option of buying an unlocked phone that you do. For those who want a high end phone though, and don't have $700 dollars to fork over, buying from a carrier is a great option option. I personally would rather have a bleeding edge high end phone through a carrier than get stuck having to buy a cheapo phone any day.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Getting a phone from a carrier is not "renting" it, and like I said before, people in the US have the same option of buying an unlocked phone that you do. For those who want a high end phone though, and don't have $700 dollars to fork over, buying from a carrier is a great option option. I personally would rather have a bleeding edge high end phone through a carrier than get stuck having to buy a cheapo phone any day.

So you would rather be at the mercy of the carrier who may choose to EOL the bleeding edge high end phone without any justification? :winktongue:

Also people in the US actually do not have the same options, it is either buy an import that may not support the relevant LTE bands for the US or buy a branded handset that may or may not be locked a carrier.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Really?

The bulk of phones you have linked are imports.

Also people in the US actually do not have the same options, it is either buy an import that may not support the relevant LTE bands for the US or buy a branded handset that may or may not be locked a carrier.

So buying from an online retailer is the same as buying from a physical store (basically a well known retail store like carphone warehouse) that sells unlocked phones?

Where there is no one at hand to help distinguish between models and answer a customers questions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss