Level of access provided in file explorer app in W10 for phones?

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Has Microsoft finally given the level of access that we need? Would we be finally able to see hidden files, proper file attribution, ability to search PDF files?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the level of access you want is in the current build, but we can hope they listen to user voice suggestions and feedback and that they will enable this kind of access.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Has Microsoft finally given the level of access that we need? Would we be finally able to see hidden files, proper file attribution, ability to search PDF files?

It's not there and given MS' lock-down attitude on windows phone, I can bet my dog that it is never going to be there.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
At least ability to change properties for certain files, like that of music files. I'm ok with giving up a lil to keep it secure and locked down. Virus free ftw :)

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect it to happen... too bad. It's gonna be a little better, but still not open.

why would you want/need a file explorer that has access to phone files unless you intend to hack it? all that would do is leave an openning for viruses.. nothing more.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Has Microsoft finally given the level of access that we need?
Who are "we"?

My guess is that 95+% of users don't care about hidden files or file attributes? (I might be going out on a limb here, but I suspect that the vast majority don't even know what a file attribute is or have ever seen an attrib command.) So, given that, I suspect that Microsoft will finally give the level of file access that more than 95% of us need, but that fewer than 5% will remain unhappy that the things that they need aren't yet provided.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hmm but at least I should be able to search PDF files that were transferred to my phone via Bluetooth or open a video file using 3rd party video player and keeping it as the default program for opening video files.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
why would you want/need a file explorer that has access to phone files unless you intend to hack it? all that would do is leave an openning for viruses.. nothing more.

Well, here are some reasons.

First - because why the hell not. I like the freedom and the feeling that you CAN do something. Even if I don't want to roam around the file system or change things, the thought that I can satisfies me.
And I like it way more to be able to do something even if it's useless (which this isn't), than to be restricted.

Second - fixing file atributes and stuff. One of the things I hate the most is having to fix all the metadata on my PC. So there's a huge time-loss in the process of connecting your phone, transfering data to the PC (I think you can't do it directly while the files are on the phone), changing everything, then porting it back.
Pictures, videos, music, archives, or anything else.

Third - I like to see how things work. Every now and then I find myself looking at the Windows directory on my PC, searching for something interesting. Trying to figure out what is what, and how it all works. I'd like to do the same on my phone. I was able to do it actually on my Nokia N8 (Symbian), and, man, was it fun!

Fourth - yeah, hacks, why not. And by this I'm talkin all the modification on the system, wether it's good (custom fixes, or anything) or bad (piracy / cracking stuff / real hacks).

I understand most people don't care about those things, but ignoring the other group of people who actually do is plain dull. It shouldn't be top priority, but somewhere on the to-do list.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I would totally like if my Windows phone had the type of openness my Windows PC has! Totally Android was built taking inspiration from Windows PC like task manager, changing default programs, multi window, file manager, type of multitasking etc. And I'm not at all saying Android copied Windows, this is just my observation.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, here are some reasons.

First - because why the hell not. I like the freedom and the feeling that you CAN do something. Even if I don't want to roam around the file system or change things, the thought that I can satisfies me.
And I like it way more to be able to do something even if it's useless (which this isn't), than to be restricted.

Second - fixing file atributes and stuff. One of the things I hate the most is having to fix all the metadata on my PC. So there's a huge time-loss in the process of connecting your phone, transfering data to the PC (I think you can't do it directly while the files are on the phone), changing everything, then porting it back.
Pictures, videos, music, archives, or anything else.

Third - I like to see how things work. Every now and then I find myself looking at the Windows directory on my PC, searching for something interesting. Trying to figure out what is what, and how it all works. I'd like to do the same on my phone. I was able to do it actually on my Nokia N8 (Symbian), and, man, was it fun!

Fourth - yeah, hacks, why not. And by this I'm talkin all the modification on the system, wether it's good (custom fixes, or anything) or bad (piracy / cracking stuff / real hacks).

I understand most people don't care about those things, but ignoring the other group of people who actually do is plain dull. It shouldn't be top priority, but somewhere on the to-do list.

So, you'd rather sacrifice windows phones fantastic yet to be compromised security.. just so that you can change some metadata on music files and "look" inside and see how the os runs? That looks like a perfectly reasonable trade off...

Lets wreck WP's security because "why the hell not?"

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it, but Windows Phone and iOS just aren't the right choices if those are your requirements. I enjoy not having to use a task manager, and I bet the majority of users feel the same way.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I would sacrifice security for it. That doesn't mean I would want MS to completely change WP for everyone, but a developer mode or something would be nice.
Also, I don't think OSes should be for one guy and not for the other. I understand that Android is more open and more friendly to hacking n stuff, but it's stupid to say, Android is for hackers and WP is for dull people who just want to take pictures and make calls/SMSes.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
One thought baffles me, why choose Windows Phone if you can already get those features with Android? The reason most of us are here are because of Windows phone's simplicity (and user experience, there's tons to add to that). Android is a mature OS TBH and I don't see a reason why one would stick to Windows Phone hoping to get a feature that's readily available on another mature platform

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I already said it before. Nowhere has it been said, WP is for these people, and Android is for the others. Nor will it ever be said, because both MS or Google (or anyone else) aren't stupid enough to just cut off a group of users. They are trying to please everyone they can. OFC, Android has some features WP doesn't have and I would be better off with Android if that's important to me. But it's not, it's just something that would be nice to have.

Also, I too like the simplicity of WP and the design, so I'd rather stay here.

And I don't understand why do you people want WP to stay so less features. That doesn't make it good, and adding more features doesn't automaticly remove the simplicity.
Another thing is, I believe most OSes (especially iOS, Android, and WP) are pretty simple, so anyone can learn the most basic things in a matter of minutes. So you can't say Android is complicated and WP is simple.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If we want one Windows or one OS to run on every platform at least bring some of the features from PC. Why phone OS mechanism should be different than PC one. It should work and talk like it's one.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I already said it before. Nowhere has it been said, WP is for these people, and Android is for the others. Nor will it ever be said, because both MS or Google (or anyone else) aren't stupid enough to just cut off a group of users. They are trying to please everyone they can. OFC, Android has some features WP doesn't have and I would be better off with Android if that's important to me. But it's not, it's just something that would be nice to have.

Also, I too like the simplicity of WP and the design, so I'd rather stay here.

And I don't understand why do you people want WP to stay so less features. That doesn't make it good, and adding more features doesn't automaticly remove the simplicity.
Another thing is, I believe most OSes (especially iOS, Android, and WP) are pretty simple, so anyone can learn the most basic things in a matter of minutes. So you can't say Android is complicated and WP is simple.

The problem is, you're feature request opens the OS up for viruses, part of what makes WP so secure is that there is no way to access the internal files, if you give an app the ability to access those, then you are making it possible for a malicous app to access it too, there is no reason to add a feature that has so little uses that compromises the security like that.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I already said it before..... is complicated and WP is simple.

I'm not generalizing that one platform is meant for a certain group of people and the other one for another, that's a personal choice. What I meant was if Microsoft opens up Root level access for end users/apps then it would open up a whole new space for hackers to exploit, something that hasn't touched Windows Phone yet. Microsoft already allows developer unlocking devices for free and there is a ton of documentation and walk through videos out there to learn Windows Phone development and privileged API access levels. I'm not sure what more could it help outside of giving elevated access privileges to run unsigned code

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo