Flagship Phone for Windows 10

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
​Why 4g of ram in a WP? I mean, why 4g of ram in a phone? what can you possibly do in a phone that need 4g of ram? the 1030 does not need 4g of ram it need a canon digic 6 chip to handle the camera and 50mp is jus way to much pixels on a 1/1.5'' sensor like the 1020.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Bring something truly revolutionary, and we'd definitely see that make a difference.

What will make absolutely no difference is attempting to sell devices by "pushing" specs, as advocated for here. Keeping up with the Jones' is important, as it gives people who already like WP (us) a viable upgrade option, but it's basically just treading water. It will do absolutely nothing to get Android/iOS users to switch, and since all OEMs have access to the same components, there is no way for WP to pull ahead using that strategy.

I hate to break it to you guys, but we aren't going to see anything "revolutionary" in the smartphone space anytime soon. The era of packing in game changing features into smartphones (video recording, gps, high res, etc) is over and phones have pretty much reached the same point as PCs and laptops in the sense its mostly incremental upgrades.

What sells PCs and laptops? Specs mostly, aesthetics, form factor, OS, etc. I know that is boring and you don't want to hear it, but this is where smartphones are.

If you are looking for revolutionary tech then look elsewhere, like VR headsets. The magical feature the windows phone community is hoping for doesn't exist.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking for revolutionary tech then look elsewhere, like VR headsets. The magical feature the windows phone community is hoping for doesn't exist.
In that case your crystal ball is better than mine. Mine doesn't show me the future and where technology is headed as good as yours. :wink:

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
The 4 GB RAM and single color for the 1020 makes no sense to me but otherwise good specs. Wouldn't get my hopes up for fingerprint sensors or such a large battery on the 1020 successor though.
4 GB is preposterous for a phone and that too running windows. All that is required is a good enough GPU for handling high end games and managing the camera.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I do like wireless charging but it charges a lot a slower. I do not know the time difference. Does anyone know?

​-Rich

My I phone owning friends are shocked that my Lumia 930 has wireless charging. I wouldn't go back to a handset that didn't have that feature built in.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I do like wireless charging but it charges a lot a slower. I do not know the time difference. Does anyone know?

​-Rich

I don't know because I always did my charging overnight, when it really didn't matter how long it took. Haven't owned a phone in the last 8 years that wouldn't last all day.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think that we are missing the point of what the true definition of flagship is supposed to represent. it's not supposed to be the smartphone with the most advanced specs but the smartphone that epitomizes and showcases the best elements of that phones name sake. We know that Samsung has set the bar for front loading the spec sheet, and it has conditioned our thinking to assume that is what the benchmark for a flagship should be. The average consumer isn't going to remotely test the threshold of the capacity of what the Galaxy S6 can do let alone really understand what it is, but they'll be the first to say it comes with the most advanced chipset. that's like buying a Ferrari because it can go from 0-80 in 0.6 seconds. What's the sense if you're an elementary school teacher? You're not a NASCAR or INDY care driver?!! The reality is the paradigm in the US evolves around the status quo. What's "in" and what is socially acceptable. This goes hand in hand with affordability. If you can't afford a Ferrari, you're not even going to consider one. If you can't afford an iPhone, you're going to consider other options. This is why WP is showing more success in Europe. MSFT's best way to get people to gravitate to the Windows Mobile experience is buy getting them to see it through something they already use, which for most is the desktop which MSFT still dominates. Most iPhone and Android users also use some form of Windows desktop. With Windows 10 one ecosystem approach seeing the seamless transition between the desktop and phone will be a refreshing sight. Furthermore, I see MSFT doing what they did with the Surface Pro 3, and that is bridging the gap between phone and phablet. If they can produce a phone that is equivalent to the Surface Pro 3, then they will have succeeded in producing the best mobile experience without having to mimic Androids overloaded spec sheet.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think that we are missing the point of what the true definition of flagship is supposed to represent. it's not supposed to be the smartphone with the most advanced specs but the smartphone that epitomizes and showcases the best elements of that phones name sake. We know that Samsung has set the bar for front loading the spec sheet, and it has conditioned our thinking to assume that is what the benchmark for a flagship should be. The average consumer isn't going to remotely test the threshold of the capacity of what the Galaxy S6 can do let alone really understand what it is, but they'll be the first to say it comes with the most advanced chipset. that's like buying a Ferrari because it can go from 0-80 in 0.6 seconds. What's the sense if you're an elementary school teacher? You're not a NASCAR or INDY care driver?!! The reality is the paradigm in the US evolves around the status quo. What's "in" and what is socially acceptable. This goes hand in hand with affordability. If you can't afford a Ferrari, you're not even going to consider one. If you can't afford an iPhone, you're going to consider other options. This is why WP is showing more success in Europe. MSFT's best way to get people to gravitate to the Windows Mobile experience is buy getting them to see it through something they already use, which for most is the desktop which MSFT still dominates. Most iPhone and Android users also use some form of Windows desktop. With Windows 10 one ecosystem approach seeing the seamless transition between the desktop and phone will be a refreshing sight. Furthermore, I see MSFT doing what they did with the Surface Pro 3, and that is bridging the gap between phone and phablet. If they can produce a phone that is equivalent to the Surface Pro 3, then they will have succeeded in producing the best mobile experience without having to mimic Androids overloaded spec sheet.

Are you saying we buy more Windows phones in Europe because we cannot afford iPhones? Rofl. Give me a break. It think we Europeans are a little less mind ****ed and Apple crazy. Even poor people buy iPhones if they want one.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying we buy more Windows phones in Europe because we cannot afford iPhones? Rofl. Give me a break. It think we Europeans are a little less mind ****ed and Apple crazy. Even poor people buy iPhones if they want one.

LOL.. not at all. I'm implying that with the way the carriers over here subsidize the price of the more expensive phones, it makes them more accessible for more people to get them. I don't think you'd have the number of people buying the more advanced phones in the US if they had to pay $500-$700 for a phone. As for your second point, I agree with you. It appears people are less inclined to purchase a phone just because it has an apple on it, or because they can boast about the processor it has that they know nothing about.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
​I don't understand why some many people wanna more and more power in their phones...it's a phone is not not where you use photoshop or Autocad 3D, why do you wanna a screen with bigger resolution than 1080p x 1920 pixels and this is a lot in a tinny 5" screen but then with all that power the battery has still to last more than one day or two while o play a lot with your phone. The way this is going in a few years people will try to get in their pocket something with the size of your house door.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
​I don't understand why some many people wanna more and more power in their phones...it's a phone is not not where you use photoshop or Autocad 3D, why do you wanna a screen with bigger resolution than 1080p x 1920 pixels and this is a lot in a tinny 5" screen but then with all that power the battery has still to last more than one day or two while o play a lot with your phone. The way this is going in a few years people will try to get in their pocket something with the size of your house door.

I'm sure some would like it, having those in their phone and working well

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This goes hand in hand with affordability. If you can't afford a Ferrari, you're not even going to consider one. If you can't afford an iPhone, you're going to consider other options. This is why WP is showing more success in Europe.
For eastern European countries that were formerly "puppet states" of the USSR, that's probably true. In western Europe it's not.

The average western European is wealthier than the average American. The U.S. ranks about 27th in terms of median personal wealth. Western Europeans also have access to similar carrier subsidies, meaning you can also get an iPhone for $100 down.

The main difference is that getting a more expensive device is directly reflected in your monthly service bill. In most European countries, carriers are legally required to separate the cost of device repayment from the costs for their service. You can get a two year plan for $15 with a Lumia 530, or you can get same plan with an iPhone for $45 monthly. Many people decide the iPhone isn't worth the extra cost. In the U.S. where the monthly rate is the same no matter what device you choose, that just isn't a factor.

The second difference is related to marketing. With the exception of the U.K. Apple has been a relatively recent phenomenon in Europe. While Apple always owned between 3% and 7% of the U.S. PC market share, in European countries that market share was pretty much 0%. The iPod was the first Apple product that made any impact in Europe, and in most non English speaking European countries, seeing an Apple advertisement was a very rare thing indeed. That didn't really change until the iPhone came out. That's probably the main reason why the prestige Americans associate with Apple just doesn't exist here. The iPhone is certainly viewed as a very good and desirable product. Most Europeans just don't consider it a status symbol the way Americans do. For most Europeans, status symbols are still clothes, cars and homes.

Last edited:

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
sometimes when you are on the go, you start up from the phone then jump to a tablet for more and finish it off from a computer...

Ok that maybe be a good workflow for some people, I had to buy a 24" screen for photo photo editing so think on do it in a 5" screen is kinda messed up for me :)

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok that maybe be a good workflow for some people, I had to buy a 24" screen for photo photo editing so think on do it in a 5" screen is kinda messed up for me :)

I did like the presentation when she showed how office would work on a phone..Ex..: spreadsheet and the ease of working it.
It begin to work like if you were on your computer..So an extension of your computer/tablet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)