It's fine if you're looking for W10 to solve feature disparity between platforms. Even the tech preview has some great new features and we know there's a lot more to come. W10 will enable us to do more with our phones, to be more productive, to customize and interact with our devices in brand new ways. That's great!

However, there's a recent article posted at a "not to be named site" by a former evLeaks writer about how Windows 10 is Microsoft's last chance at mobile. And there seems to be growing sentiment that Windows 10 is a do-or-die moment for Microsoft. For those that are falling into that mentality, let's be clear, you are expecting too much.

These "last chance at mobile" articles have existed since 2009. Since before Windows Phone 7 was even released. When sites were still calling it Windows Mobile 7. And what has Microsoft done through years of poor sales and "last chances?" They kept supporting the platform.

W10 is not a reset button. The challenges that Microsoft face are still there. Those challenges are not going away any time soon. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think sales will explode simply through the magic of W10.

But this is not a last chance. Microsoft has shown that they will keep supporting the platform with new devices, new software, and new ways to make our phones better. Last chances be damned.
    Skamath, tgp, a5cent and 7 others like this.
    03-04-2015 10:20 AM
    I dont think that there are many of us out there who really check on the volume of phones sold unless it is some die hard MS employee who wants the WP to be the best out there. I am sure the vast majority here are more like " what is coming in the next update?", " Why am I not getting it?" and the rest of them are busy either doing a hard or soft reset or using Software recovery tool to fix some problem.
    While collectively everyone is in love with their affordable devices and about the best and the latest hardware the only disappointment most people have is the "app gap" or lack of support or developers for this platform.

I know that feeling when you visit a website frequently and there is link flashing directing to download their app. when you get there all you always see is the apple store or google store.

Cheers
    03-04-2015 11:25 AM
    Indeed much of what I come across is click bait from apple/Android die hards
    03-04-2015 02:59 PM
    I think a "sales explosion" due to Windows 10 is entirely possible.

The only real knock on Windows Phone now is the lack of apps. The lack of apps stems from the fact that developers have no incentive to develop for such a small user base. But the user base for Windows PCs dwarfs the user base for Windows Phones currently, so developers will have plenty of incentives to develop for Windows 10. Problem solved.

Also, you may be underestimating the significance of the X-Box cross-buy concept. Think of all the Xbox owners out there who will buy games for their consoles and, as long as they get a Windows Phone, they'll be able to play many of those games on their phone for no additional charge. Obviously, not all games are suited for phones, but many are. That's a pretty huge advantage for Windows Phone if the developers will support it. And there's little reason for them not to, given that it's easy to port an Xbox One game to Windows 10.

These developments in Windows 10 have the potential to eliminate all the competitive disadvantages Windows Phones currently have and, at the same time, create some significant competitive advantages.

No one knows whether it will happen, but this is the primary thing Windows 10 is trying to accomplish. I think it's very feasible and realistic.
    Praxius likes this.
    03-05-2015 02:14 AM
    I think a "sales explosion" due to Windows 10 is entirely possible.

The only real knock on Windows Phone now is the lack of apps. The lack of apps stems from the fact that developers have no incentive to develop for such a small user base. But the user base for Windows PCs dwarfs the user base for Windows Phones currently, so developers will have plenty of incentives to develop for Windows 10. Problem solved.

Also, you may be underestimating the significance of the X-Box cross-buy concept. Think of all the Xbox owners out there who will buy games for their consoles and, as long as they get a Windows Phone, they'll be able to play many of those games on their phone for no additional charge. Obviously, not all games are suited for phones, but many are. That's a pretty huge advantage for Windows Phone if the developers will support it. And there's little reason for them not to, given that it's easy to port an Xbox One game to Windows 10.

These developments in Windows 10 have the potential to eliminate all the competitive disadvantages Windows Phones currently have and, at the same time, create some significant competitive advantages.

No one knows whether it will happen, but this is the primary thing Windows 10 is trying to accomplish. I think it's very feasible and realistic.
    The thing is, all the hype that was done for Windows 8 for PC's didn't work.... Therefore Windows Phone 8 did get a bit of the stigma added on top of the other issues.

Steve Ballmer did drop the ball by focusing on Windows 8's transition going too far for its time. I loved Windows 8/8.1 and I loved WP8/8.1

But many had an issue with the transition and many were confused by what was going on.

I can't count how many times I had to help people online and in real life on what was fact and fiction with W8.

So many people at the start thought Windows 8 was Windows RT and there was simply no desktop and it wouldn't run legacy programs or do anything that Windows XP/Vista/7 did.

It was the exact same OS for the most part but with the Start Button taking up the entire screen and included apps.... But too many people simply didn't get that.

The hype over Windows 8 was about a different approach with design and operation.

The point being is that if they did what they are currently doing for Windows 10, things would have been a lot different for Windows 8.

That and when you come out with an OS version that is considered #10, you try and go all in.... I remember when Apple came out with OSX and it was meant to be such a big thing.

It's like a golden rule that you don't screw up with #10 of anything.
    03-05-2015 02:46 AM
    @ op.
    Its a phone not a religion.
    I don't care if sales explode or not as long as i can choose between platforms preferably the one i like most.
    A lot of people are talking about ms like they know it all but don't forget ms has started with handhelds before people even knew about android and iphones and it's still out there.
    Its not about world domination is it about that they already won it with there desktop os.

Why should it bother if ms has 10, 20 or 50 percent of the market.
    If they run out of competition they don't have to compete anymore.
    Now they are forced to adept an must work hard to make a smal percentage of the market share.
    There is more than wp, there are even new ones who dare to entering the market ( Firefox).
    So i don't think its over any day yet.
    Andrew Gordon and HeyCori like this.
    03-05-2015 03:12 AM
    i myself never thought at W10 as a point of explosion for WP in sales and app gap. i believe W10 will help, but gradually in app gap and sales. what i really do hope is functionality parity actually. i really hope that w10 cuts off every limitation that wp have curently....from things like OTG to 64bit cpu architecture support. we need first to have an os capable of whatever droid and ios is capable to do. as for apps and sales? sales are increasing. slowly but they do. apps will come too. especially with w10, but NOT as an explosion as many believe.
    HeyCori likes this.
    03-05-2015 04:42 AM