11-15-2015 09:20 PM
45 12
tools
    Hey guys, first of all, this is my first threat at the forum(yay).

But the question is: Do you think that Microsoft will improve multitasking on Windows 10 for Phones and in which way do you think they'll do it?

By improving a mean: No more resuming screen, no more closing apps on the background, like Spotify, to free up RAM.
    03-05-2015 01:33 PM
    I hope they don't, my battery already drains quickly without those features. Thanks, but no thanks.
    03-05-2015 01:38 PM
    It gets very annoyng when I have to stay staring to my podcast app until it downloads all the recent podcasts, otherwise it will stop downloading when I cicle to another app or to my homepage.
    I do hope it will be adressed sometime.

Enviado via Note 4
    03-05-2015 02:05 PM
    Although many people often view these types of things as "multitasking" issues, that's not always what they are. That leads to confusions, because those who understand software multitasking in detail will usually answer like Zulfiger did: "hell no, we don't want true/unrestricted multitasking". I agree.
    For example, the "resuming" message is not a multitasking issue at all, but related to app loading, resuming and rehydration durations. All of these things can be improved without changing how multitasking works on WP.
    I really hope they are improved. I suspect the biggest hope for improvement in this area is something called .NET native. Look it up if you're interested. Improving XAML loading efficiency would also help. App developers also need to shoulder some of that responsibility by improving their apps though.
    03-05-2015 02:20 PM
    It gets very annoyng when I have to stay staring to my podcast app until it downloads all the recent podcasts
    What I'd like to see is a global download manager that lists all the files that are queued up for background downloading, and also mentions on behalf of which apps that is occurring, thereby giving users control over the download process.

BTW: WP can already download files in the background, even when the app isn't running, but the download queue per app is limited to five files.

For many apps this works perfectly well, but app developers often fail to use that capability. MS can't do much about that. In your situation that probably wouldn't work however, assuming your podcast app downloads more than five files. Still, it should be able to download at least five files without the app being in the foreground. If not, then its the developer of the app that screwed up, not MS.
    03-05-2015 02:36 PM
    This is your first threat in the forum? How many times are you planning on threatening us?
    Lol, in all seriousness, I don't want it to become like Android. There could be some small improvements, but a lot of it is on the developers.
    Last edited by Nicholas Maguire; 03-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    03-05-2015 02:40 PM
    Hahaha Nicholas, that was funny.
    03-05-2015 02:44 PM
    Hey guys, first of all, this is my first threat at the forum(yay).

But the question is: Do you think that Microsoft will improve multitasking on Windows 10 for Phones and in which way do you think they'll do it?

By improving a mean: No more resuming screen, no more closing apps on the background, like Spotify, to free up RAM.
    Well that resuming screen seems like
    It's going away with windows 10 but the apps closing in the background will still close to preserve battery life.
    03-05-2015 02:52 PM
    but the apps closing in the background will still close to preserve battery life.
    You mean RAM. Suspended apps don't use battery power.
    03-05-2015 03:12 PM
    Stupid answers all over here just to sweet talk you to silence when the truth is all written in black and white! Heck! On a normal, do I need a Billion headed brained developer to achieve background download on my phone? No! Then why the flattery fuse of defensive backing of MS OS's gullibility?
    I know one thing: when you keep giving people excuses for a long time on why they should remain stupid, their stupidity will produce a new way of reasoning out the absurd. Soon you will become old school, stupid one for that matter.
    03-05-2015 03:19 PM
    Yes
    03-05-2015 03:43 PM
    Stupid answers all over here just to sweet talk you to silence when the truth is all written in black and white! Heck! On a normal, do I need a Billion headed brained developer to achieve background download on my phone? No! Then why the flattery fuse of defensive backing of MS OS's gullibility?
    I know one thing: when you keep giving people excuses for a long time on why they should remain stupid, their stupidity will produce a new way of reasoning out the absurd. Soon you will become old school, stupid one for that matter.
    Heck, it's easy to act like everyone else is stupid when the truth is all written in black and white!

What people want out of their devices is an all-day charge. Modern mobile operating systems are changing to meet those wants. One way in which they are changing is in the app lifecycle. You can claim that I'm carrying water for Microsoft or you can accept that change is needed, that Apple led that change with iOS, that Microsoft has followed it with WP7 and RT, and that Google continues to lag in this one regard.

Developers who resist this change do so for their convenience rather than their users'. Users who resist this typically are more technical and have an expectation of the phone working like a desktop computer -- they are mistaken to make that assumption. My parents, who are not technical, have no expectation that something is "running" when they're not looking at it. We need to adapt to the idea of our phones as "appliance" rather than "computer."

More about the app lifecycle change at http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post2998101
    Last edited by manicottiK; 03-06-2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: To make the "What people want" sentence make sense.
    03-05-2015 04:26 PM
    You mean RAM. Suspended apps don't use battery power.
    I think that he meant battery as in "although the app remains in memory, it is suspended so it is not using any CPU cycles. Thus it is not using power, consequently extending the time until the battery run out."
    03-05-2015 04:29 PM
    @ManicottiK:
    On white or black basis, it is note worthy that the new generation is growing more technical and expects their devices to grow with it. However, modernity redefined by MS'S WP OS and IOS is STUPIDITY. ACCORDING TO THEM: Be old and watch your smartphone behave like an experimental toy. Just be stupid with all the restrictions and brand it modernity!
    Right now, to put on a WP's LED light and type in a Recharge card number from the phone view is practically impossible because, MS is modern enough. Why in the whole wide world, are they not told that a logistic machine like a smartphone is supposed to be reasonable? In this case, put on the LED light while I type numbers in the other phase. No, I am MS and I am stupidly modern. Heck!
    At the long run, the elderly dads and mums will call their phones garbage sooner than now, when they must have gone technical!
    03-06-2015 12:31 AM
    Wow, that response doesn't demonstrate much understanding of the trade-offs necessary in product design or empathy for others. I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree, or at least to disengage in this discussion.
    03-06-2015 11:00 AM
    Wow, that response doesn't demonstrate much understanding of the trade-offs necessary in product design or empathy for others. I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree, or at least to disengage in this discussion.
    It is best that you do know what you have said. The tradeoffs shouldn't be between smartphones' basics and essentials. My empathy is necessary as that will help deepen the heights of all the involved parties stupidity in the name of modern design!
    03-06-2015 04:00 PM
    On Windows 10 9941 already have it.
    I mean, I can open Internet Explorer and a stop watch (on a website), and go out to another app when I came, the IE still "alive" with the Stop watch....
    Also, some apps stay in the background when you lock the phone!
    Last edited by Vitor Salvatore Pierce; 03-07-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    03-07-2015 03:33 AM
    ^ the comparison between W10 IE and W10M doesn't tel us anything. One uses Win32's multitasking model, the other uses WinRT's multitasking model. Completely different.
    Second, as ManicottiK alluded to, no *app* on WP, nor on W10M runs in the background. None. However, an app can request that the OS run specific features in the background. BackgroundFileTransfer, and BackgroundAudio are two examples. That allows the OS to fully suspend the app, but continue to execute a function on its behalf.
    03-07-2015 04:15 AM
    This, I understand. I had reset my 1520 post denim to correct some bugs and hopefully improve battery...old bugs resolved yet, new bugs evolved. Additionally, I cannot open battery saver to turn off any background tasks....oh, the headache.

More on point, I was downloading some maps, and heaven forbid if you check up on another app, all 3GB of data, in my particular case, will have to be rechecked and downloaded! Very inefficient.

I do look forward to some level of true multitasking, multiwindow for a phone with the display real estate that the 1520 offers would be great...
    03-07-2015 06:30 AM
    I really hope they are improved. I suspect the biggest hope for improvement in this area is something called .NET native. Look it up if you're interested. Improving XAML loading efficiency would also help. App developers also need to shoulder some of that responsibility by improving their apps though.
    Did Silverlight apps have XAML as the view language? Because they were instant in their loading. I haven't even looked into development on Silverlight (though I'm familiar with RT). But if they used XAML too, then it's likely not XAML that's causing the resume/load issue, m i rite?
    03-07-2015 12:13 PM
    I really can't understand what multi-tasking issues windows 8.1.1 on phones has. All my live tiles update constantly, all notifications from any manner of apps show up then n there. I can reply to a msg in the middle of a game and resume it after sending the msg. I can start a download in the store and start a photography session and the download completes in the background. Seriously, what else is multi-tasking and what are you guys refferring to as multi-tasking and how is it creating a problem with the latest denim update?
    03-07-2015 12:28 PM
    The folks who want "true" multitasking want the phone to act like a PC so that apps are getting CPU time from the moment that the user launches them until the moment that the user closes them, even when the app is not showing on the screen. (Android provides for this model.)

The good side of more multitasking support is that users and developers could continue to think, code, and use apps as they did in the desktop/laptop world.

Here a bad example: I have an app that I wrote for myself. It goes to a popular website and grabs all of the content, storing it offline for my use during airplane travels. This isn't based on an RSS feed, so I can't use that kind of app, and my app grabs the full content, not just a headline and preview. When boarding for my flight begins, I start the app and push the Download button. I must wait for it to finish retrieval of 150-200 articles and comments before I can do anything else. This sucks.

And it sucks because I, as a user, am not annoyed enough to pester me, as a developer, to fix the app. If the me who is the developer were more committed to producing a quality app that was more mobile-power friendly. Fortunately, since it's not yet in the store, I get no complaints except from myself.

The downside of more multitasking support is that one badly coded app can drain your battery. This then creates user demands for task management apps and task killer apps. (I think that simultaneously tapping all four corners of the screen should be interpreted at Ctrl+Alt+Delete! ;)

P.S. I do plan to rewrite my app and release (it with background downloading), but not until the website goes through a redesign, which is expected within a few months.
    03-07-2015 01:06 PM
    I wonder why I can't do much on cyan's IE in the background without the need for the page to be reloaded? I wonder why cyan's phone LED torch can't run in the background without going off?
    Truely, I still wonder why some apps can run the background download while other's can't? For reality sake, why should I not have alternative to use a WiFi or mobile network data to download a large file? Is this a phone, or a confusion from the Android normals? So I can't do much with a WP smart phone without need for an Android phone or a PC...? What a hell is wrong with doing things the normal way by MS while still enjoy the gorgeous and beautiful look of WP?
    To make WP better means good business, and that is expected from W10 for phone to do just that right for MS!
    03-07-2015 11:54 PM
    IE cannot download files under the lock screen, I would like this to change.
    03-08-2015 12:51 AM
    I wonder why I can't do much on cyan's IE in the background without the need for the page to be reloaded? I wonder why cyan's phone LED torch can't run in the background without going off?

Truely, I still wonder why some apps can run the background download while other's can't?
    You are the one that's doing all the wondering, and ultimately doesn't understand, yet you have the gall to call other's answers stupid. Do you not see the irony?

For some reason you're unable to envision/accept that the issues you have with WP could possibly be solved in any other way than THE ONE (Android / Desktop like) way you are familiar with.

Some of the previous paragraphs in this thread mention why things are the way they are. Others explain what a better alternative (to the full out and uncontrolled multitasking approach you're advocating) may look like.

For some reason you're misunderstanding all of it. You're behaving as if we're telling you that you can't have any of the parallel-running features that are important to you. That's wrong. You can have pretty much everything you've mentioned so far, just not by way of the ill-conceived unrestricted multitasking solution you're constantly referring to.

95% of your requirements are related to background downloading. I don't know when MS will get around to making that a bit more flexible, but we all agree they must, possibly by adding a restriction, namely by removing the ability to download something in any way other than through a centralized download manager.

Anyway, unless MS decides to go full out Android-Clone (to facilitate compatibility with Android apps), the unrestricted multitasking you're asking for isn't happening. But if you'd just stop calling for that, and instead just mention the parallel-running capabilities you think the OS should provide, we'd be pretty much in agreement.
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-10-2015 at 07:14 AM.
    03-08-2015 03:58 AM
45 12