Flashings will make WP cross the 10% threshold - Lumia and Surface Phones

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
1 Thanks for keeping the discussion legit on your end.

2 You said something, though, about how "dockable phones" didn't do well in sales in the past. I still don't think you fully understand what we mean by the type of docking we are talking about. There has never been a phone that docks in the way we are talking about, period, as the technology has not been available in the past. Technology is now there, but the differing technologies have not yet been set up to work together in order to accomplish such a docking. Would people want it? I can't speak of the masses, but I know a few people in my circle that would drool over the opportunity, including myself. I could easily justify it because I would no longer need to buy a laptop, desktop, phone combo. Just one device with a few peripherals, like monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

3 I hope you don't mind if I don't go looking for the people. I'd rather spend some quality time at home with my children and my wife. Thanks. ;)

1 cool - it's fun, when it's allowed by the moderators.

2 yes, i understand what's possible, sometime, out there, in the future. in the past, when i mentioned the possibility of docking a (it was an android atrix or something at the time? crap phone, crap dock, crap crap crap) phone to be used as a desktop, in the wp section, it was shouted down. i'm not sure if it was a 'not invented here' reaction, or just that it was android. or both, or neither, not sure.

continuing... the concept is neato. the problems arise when real world uses are considered though:

crunching through 1/2Tb of video, the phone rings, and a kid needs to be picked up from school. that crunching still needs to happen, TODAY, but the phone just got pulled from the dock, and is now in a pocket. is it going to continue crunching data (warming up that pocket and killing the battery) or put the task on hold until later ?

scenario two: that CAD file that is 240Mb or so... is going to be rendered with the phone's onboard graphics, on a 27" 2up monitor ? i'm not saying it can't be done, but i don't know if it's possible right now, with the stuff inside phones of today. is it ?

scenario three ( the one that ROCKS): vacation comes, and you have everything on the phone. movies, sat nag ( i mean NAV ), the credit cards, and NFC payments to speed up things at disney.... docking that phone at the suite would be pretty awesome for letting the kids watch their normal nighttime stuff without worrying about channel crap (commercials) they don't need to see. but how will you check up on email/presentations/work while they're using it ?

just real world stuff, and the reasons (today) why people carry a phone and a laptop. twist it up and find a way to make it work. it might, i dunno.

3 i have no interest myself. the point was, when people start showing interest, you'll see them produced and implemented. you'll need droves of them to offset current trends of phone + laptop kind of thinking. not sure how that will come about.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Data belongs to the cloud. moving data physically on a device is archaic.

Nadella said they're working in the mobility of the experience not the mobility of a device.

The price of a docking station would be comparable to the price of a cheap PC.
While all technically true, it was never a statement about where I thought Microsoft would take things. It is totally against their vision. It is, however, where I would like to see things. It will take a lot of advances in hardware still for it to be possible the way I would like to see it implemented.

Now, about your first comment, "Data belongs in the cloud."
I think Hillary Clinton would disagree, evidenced by her own personal email server used in an attempt to keep her emails out of the cloud and in her control.

I hate keeping my data in the cloud, as connection isn't always possible in this day and time, and accessing that data on a large scale can be expensive on a metered plan, which is ALL I have available where I live. I still do backups to portable hard drives because it is simply more economical.

....crunching through 1/2Tb of video, the phone rings, and a kid needs to be picked up from school. that crunching still needs to happen, TODAY, but the phone just got pulled from the dock, and is now in a pocket. is it going to continue crunching data (warming up that pocket and killing the battery) or put the task on hold until later ?
NOW we're getting somewhere. This is good discussion. Yeah, this is definitely something that current hardware can't handle. I do imagine it will be possible someday, but not yet.

scenario two: that CAD file that is 240Mb or so... is going to be rendered with the phone's onboard graphics, on a 27" 2up monitor ? i'm not saying it can't be done, but i don't know if it's possible right now, with the stuff inside phones of today. is it ?
Sure it can be done.... v e r y s l o w l y . . . LOL
Yeah, again, something for the future I suppose.

scenario three ( the one that ROCKS): vacation comes, and you have everything on the phone. movies, sat nag ( i mean NAV ), the credit cards, and NFC payments to speed up things at disney.... docking that phone at the suite would be pretty awesome for letting the kids watch their normal nighttime stuff without worrying about channel crap (commercials) they don't need to see. but how will you check up on email/presentations/work while they're using it ?
Don't you realize that everyone in the family gets their own phone? I wonder if that comes with a dock for each phone...

What's worse is while on vacation, and your phone gets knocked over the side of the cruise ship... There goes the vacation. No way to pay for anything (all your credit cards and banking were handled by the phone), all your data, gone. Yeah, hopefully it was all backed up in the cloud, but now you've got to buy a new phone. But wait! You can't! You don't have your credit card because it just went over the side of the ship!

Okay, yeah, I'll concede there are some real issues here. But without healthy debate, issues like these are never discovered nor solved.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus and infinity sales combined do not even match Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota or Nissan sales individually. Flagships do not sell phones, look at the craptastic iPhone 6, put this phone under any other brand and it is a forgotten midrange device. 13-30 year old trendsetters decide what is "cool" and what is ignored nowadays. You can have the best screen, processor, camera, storage capacity and OS, but it still won't sell if 20 year old women don't think its cool. Microsoft had a chance with WP7 due to the popularity of Xbox 360, but they absolutely blew it. First by not capitalizing on Xbox Gamerscore (mobile games deserve 1000 Gs, not a trivial 200) and then their awful Xbox one reveal.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't you realize that everyone in the family gets their own phone? I wonder if that comes with a dock for each phone...

Okay, yeah, I'll concede there are some real issues here. But without healthy debate, issues like these are never discovered nor solved.

i saw the reality of children (teenagers) with cellular phones yesterday. instead of talking to each other, teen A was facebookmessageing teen B about what teen C just said, and teen D was just trying to get teen A's attention (flirtatious posturing) above all else.

it was sad, there were $2000+ worth of communication devices, and the most rudamentary forms of casual conversation were lost on them. 'ewww' and 'creeepy' would be about the extent of the dialogue, i'm afraid, if any.

but, you brought up the point that there will be multiple phones in a home. i agree there. the 'last years model' drawer currently has 5-6 phones in it. over time, those could be relegated to "desktop" duties, assuming they ever had the capability to display information externally. a previous post mentioned the Samsung Note currently can do this, today. So, with about 3 billion new Samsung devices coming out this year (we're in Q1 right now, only) that would make for quite a few possible desktop replacements.

which leads to 2015's typical home desktop uses and the difficulties (if any) in doing them:
facebook (easy, but pointless)
youtube (ditto, besides the actual knowlege based learning channels)
web browsing (easy, very wide ranging possibilities, depending on available browsers)

i think the only problem with seeing this happen is there is currently a desktop sitting -right-there-, that does the job fine right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo