More OEM's = More Fragmentation

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Do we really all think Windows 10 for phones is headed to all Windows Phone 8.x devices (not counting the EOL devices, obviously)? And for the one's that do, to what extent will they receive updates afterwards? I'm just going to let you take a look at this list and let it all sink in...

Microsoft, Acer, Lenovo, LG, Blu, HTC, Yezz, Kazam, Xolo, ZTE, Samsung, Cherry Mobile, Micromax, My Go, NGM, Hisense, TrekStor, Gionee, Kyocera, Celkon, Q-Mobile, Prestigio , Karbonn, Fly, Allview, Archos, K-Touch & Coship

While I really like the approach Microsoft has taken lately, I don't agree with this one at all. "Fragmentation for Phones" is headed down the path of Android.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, when you say fragmentation, I first imagine the Android fiasco, and let me tell you we are far away from that.
The thing you are probably talkin about is that some phones will be left behind on a lower software version than the others.

The main cause of the Android fragmentation isn't Google, or the stock Android. It's the OEMs. They decide who gets a SW update, and who doesn't.

In this case, Microsoft does the same thing. They made W10 available for ALL DEVICES running W8.1 (and all devices that have 8.0 can upgrade to 8.1, so that means all WP8.0 devices).
Now, it's up to the OEMs to decide if they wan't to give you W10 and further upgrades. And most of the times they will do it, since it requires not so much effort, MS already does most of the work.
I can asure you all MS (Nokia) devices will get maximum SW support, as long as they can really handle it. As for others, it's up to them, but I think they will do the same (Blu already confirmed W10 for their devices).

And it all depends on how much the OEM cares about you and the device you are using.
For example, Samsung. Samsung already makes too much money from Android, so why would they bother giving regular updates to their WP devices? HTC is the same.
But Nokia (now MS), they're all about WP, so you know you're on solid ground with them.

And at the end, when buying your device, you're actually putting your fate to that manufacter's hands. So you have noone to blame. Nobody's bound to give you anything, you paid for the device, you got the device.
Updates are something that might happen, but isn't guaranteed.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
How can we be assured updates?! The carriers dont release them thus making it look like a MS prob and thus less buyers. I've got a 1020 in the US on AT&T and still no denim... I wonder why. I'm giving windows one more shot with one more phone, then im done if nothing changes. Tired of the "carrier" whiny baby stuff. Microsoft needs to nut up and sink unbelievable cash into the carriers for incentive to sell the phones. If windows 10 rolls out and there is NO flagship wow phone, they're as good as dead outside selling at WalMart. Want to be a big boy, play with the big boys. If I made a product, I'd be damned if the seller dictated when how and if it got updated. Let alone nit wanting to sell it at all.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
How can we be assured updates?! The carriers dont release them thus making it look like a MS prob and thus less buyers. I've got a 1020 in the US on AT&T and still no denim... I wonder why. I'm giving windows one more shot with one more phone, then im done if nothing changes. Tired of the "carrier" whiny baby stuff. Microsoft needs to nut up and sink unbelievable cash into the carriers for incentive to sell the phones. If windows 10 rolls out and there is NO flagship wow phone, they're as good as dead outside selling at WalMart. Want to be a big boy, play with the big boys. If I made a product, I'd be damned if the seller dictated when how and if it got updated. Let alone nit wanting to sell it at all.

Great job over simplifying a complicated situation! If Microsoft needs help making fake simple solutions to complex issues, I'm sure they'll give ya a call!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can't do anything about it.
It's not just about Microsoft and Windows Phone, carriers dictate when the updates will go out for all devices, and they have all rights to do it.
When you signed your contract you agreed to that deal, I don't know what you're talkin' about now.
If you want a device that will get updates straight from MS/Google buy a Country Variant. Or a Google Play edition device, in case of Android.
And let's not forget that updates aren't something that you have your rights on.
You buy a phone, you get a phone. Updates may happen.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm are that is not on Microsoft if OEM's or carriers block support.... And that's exact my point. Why get into the overload of OEM partners when they know what will happen with software updates being dropped bY OEM's.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm are that is not on Microsoft if OEM's or carriers block support.... And that's exact my point. Why get into the overload of OEM partners when they know what will happen with software updates being dropped bY OEM's.

Because Microsoft is a software company, Not a hardware, ideally, they want to pull out of the hardware buisness, but currently, they rely on it to get their services out there

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So they want to pull out of the hardware business focus on the software business and this is exactly the point of the fragementation - and there they want to give the "Software business" side away to the OEM and Carries... this makes totally sense - not

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All this depends on whether the OS will be tied to firmware updates as they have been in the past. It's been the firmware updates which have been the limiting factor in the past not the OS updates (Windows is Windows regardless of the device).

As the architecture of Windows 10 is different from before, we're hoping that OS updates will be separated from firmware updates - we might even be inlcuded in Patch Tuesdays.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Also, the Android situation is also complicated by the various "skins" implemented by various manufacturers. So, every time a new Android version is released by Google, the manufacturers take their own time to skin the new version before releasing the update OTA. With Windows, the manufacturers do not have that freedom to skin the OS to their content. So, apart from firmware updates that the manufacturer needs to push out - releasing the new OS update should not be delayed. There is no reason for more fragmentation, all devices should be running the latest OS, if you aren't talking about EOL devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro