Windows 10 will be 64bit or 32Bit?

WP7Nettwerk

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
As we know Microsoft will not release new flagship till Windows 10 release. But most CPU companies working with 64Bit CPU, like Snapdragon 810, Mediatek, I believe Samsung new CPU supports 64Bit as well. So question is Windows 10 for phone will be 64Bit or 32Bit?
I'm really unhappy iPhone 6+ user and I really miss Windows Phone features, Live Tiles, UI. So I dunno to wait till Microsoft new flagship or buy Lumia 930?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
No mobile OS is 32bit only, or 64bit only.
They probably will support 64bit processors, but phones won't be required to have them to be able to run Windows 10.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Common mistake. There are a lot of things that a 64bit processor allows you, asides from 4+ GB RAM.

Nothing anyone is likely to notice on a smartphone however.

It's impossible to test on an iPhone, as the SoC that made the shift to a 64 bit architecture also came with a whole host of other improvements. As a result, it's just not possible to say how much of which improvements are directly attributable to the wider architecture. However, the affect this has on smartphones won't be any bigger than what we already saw on desktop PCs, where we can make meaningful comparisons, and where it's been demonstrable for years that as far as normal consumer software is concerned, it's pretty much irrelevant. The sole exception is the addressable RAM beyond 4 GB.

The biggest net benefit some are attributing to the 64 bit'edness of the A5 SoC is encryption/decryption performance. Include a few dedicated 128 bit registers for the same purpose on any 32 bit CPU and you'd get the same affect.

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, that exceeds my basic knowledge on that subject. I trust you though.
Anyways I don't get all the hype about it. It was so praised by the Android community (and Apple here and there), that I expected it to be obviously better.
Turns out it's only a 'few subtle things' only the pro users will understand.
Still, it's progress, and we should welcome it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Still, it's progress, and we should welcome it.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with moving to 64bit architectures on smartphones. Eventually it will start making sense. At the latest when smartphones start packing 4GB of RAM. I'm just against that feature being oversold, and threads like this prove it's massively oversold.

WP7Nettwerk

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
If I'm correct than Xiaomi Mi Note Pro comes with 4Gb RAM. So most flagships has 3Gb RAM on board and closely step by step it moves to 4Gb RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Amusingly, even the pros in that article dwell on large memory, as three of the bullets can be summarized as "supports greater than 4GB." The other two talk about larger registers and more registers, the latter isn't so much a characteristic of 64-bit processors, but rather of newer processors. In the cons section, the issue is that "small" variables (like an integer expected to hold a number from 1 to 1,000) can take up more room on a 64-bit system because the compiler may have assigned 64 bits to the variable instead of just 32.

Again, as has been said repeatedly, the push for 64-bit processors is about memory first and modernity (I..e, newer hardware) second.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Whether it is oversold or not, any benefits or not, It sure acts as feature point(i.e. a "Gimmick") and people as usual will consider the phone which has the 64-bit over which does not. It's is already happening as I see ads highlighting "64-bit processor".
So, in conclusion it should be there in windows whether it is useful or not.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ True, I guess. The reason that sucks is because that list I referenced also includes CONS! Making that transition now, years before smartphones have the RAM capacity to provide benefits, means we're getting all the cons but none of the pros. It's another example of widespread consumer ignorance leading to devices that aren't as good as they could have been, similar to QHD resolutions at 5", or low-end devices moving to quad core CPUs where the individual cores perform worse than last generation's cores. These moves are made because companies are tasked with building the best selling device, not the actual best device.

Apple is the only company that has the freedom to stick to displays < 400ppi and powerful dual core CPUs. Counter to popular belief, that's not Apple selling inferior products, but doing real performance and battery life optimizations, rather than spec sheet and marketing optimizations.

When Apple moved to a 64bit CPU, they were at least able to extend the instruction set with a few cryptography related capabilities that made use of the wider registers. Qualcomm doesn't seem to be doing that. Their move to 64bits is done to please the masses, who will gladly buy them up, despite the end result being worse. These devices won't be worse overall, primarily because other improvements will make up for the slack, but they just won't be as good as they could have been.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)