Is win10 for phones really a savior

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
This post its just useless and unnecessary.. It is not wp8.2 not even for a mile.... W10 is a technical preview meaning the OS is the first stages of developing and we already seem [yes] how MS is catching up with the competition. If this is happening at this stage just imagine [pls, imagination] how good it will be. There is nothing as right now that WP won't have that the big two have already, MS is building a new OS from the grown up and you dare to say this is just a wp8.2, WOW, just WOW..... I have not found a bad review about W10 technical preview out there, the only criticism was MS decision no to released it to the old flagships.

Put it this way; even if Google and/or Apple comes with a new tweak in the mobile OS MS can adopt it right away and by the time W10 a good to ship we may be ahead of everybody else.. So please, I understand the frustration but for you to say W10 is just another WP8.2 it just plain stupid and anybody who agree with that should check themselves.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
So what is it missing that other Mobile OSs have?
Please dont tell me notification on your home screen. Thats totally lame.

I don't use Android currently, but with it you can set app defaults, like clicking a link and having it automatically open in whatever browser you choose, or have a specific photo app open by default when you manipulate photos. Android is also very similar to a PC, you can overclock the cpu and do other things. If you plug a keyboard and mouse up to an Android phone, a cursor will appear in the screen, and you can do real work on it. Having usb otg lets you plug in high quality audio hardware like DAC's and also plug in usb sticks.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Win 10 is going to be as great as everyone makes it out to be for phone. At least not right away. As soon as universal apps starts taking off then it will be awesome.

I'm still waiting for that WOW feature to be introduced on W10 for phones and I have yet to hear or see it. Microsoft is on the hush hush for this and still developing.

Saxithon

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Well if MS really starts giving the more or less "exclusive" features like cortana away (and they will.), win10 for phones will be dead in my eyes. It has nothing exclusive then. You say livetiles? *laugh*

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
They are adding features other OS's already have it nothing new or additional to make attractive that's disappointed  and the idea of having the same OS on all the devices is more about what you will get on the PC not the phone as the features are shown

I think that people are way ahead of themselves with W10 and their expectation is way high for the moment. It's way too early to judge anything. W10 is on his early early phase and there's not to much to talk about. there will be news things that are not yet public knowledge. Exploding Tiles will be full of potential and maybe that new spartan browser will come to mobile version. But is difficult to come up with a game changer feature that will revolutionary phones OS and fingerprint scanner on a phone is just lame.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Android currently, but with it you can set app defaults, like clicking a link and having it automatically open in whatever browser you choose, or have a specific photo app open by default when you manipulate photos. Android is also very similar to a PC, you can overclock the cpu and do other things. If you plug a keyboard and mouse up to an Android phone, a cursor will appear in the screen, and you can do real work on it. Having usb otg lets you plug in high quality audio hardware like DAC's and also plug in usb sticks.

Let's be realistic here: Of the more than 80% of people who own Android devices how many actually care about those features? How many everyday PC users care about tweaking their computers? The vast majority of people want a working product that doesn't take a degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Programming to operate.

Look at the masses who use iPhones. Most people don't care about features all too often, they just point and shoot their cameras, text, & make phone calls while using various apps on their devices. Same hold true on Android devices. Instead of focusing on features that Windows is missing they should focus on functionality and user efficiency with quality apps.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Well if MS really starts giving the more or less "exclusive" features like cortana away (and they will.), win10 for phones will be dead in my eyes. It has nothing exclusive then. You say livetiles? *laugh*

The basic idea with cortana is to give people a look into our world :) However I get what you're saying, if users can have our best features on a different and established platform, why should they jump ship and join us... I think MS is looking towards the future; we might not have windows phones tomorrow, but the services will always be there

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Let's be realistic here: Of the more than 80% of people who own Android devices how many actually care about those features? How many everyday PC users care about tweaking their computers? The vast majority of people want a working product that doesn't take a degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Programming to operate.

Look at the masses who use iPhones. Most people don't care about features all too often, they just point and shoot their cameras, text, & make phone calls while using various apps on their devices. Same hold true on Android devices. Instead of focusing on features that Windows is missing they should focus on functionality and user efficiency with quality apps.

I don't know how many other people care about those features, these things I listed were simply things that I find to be neat on Android. I could have listed some more common things, like a tap and pay payments system, but I'm sure everything I say, you'll find an excuse to shoot them down.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking for something to "wow" you in Windows 10 on phones, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Well, depending on your definition of "wow". You know what would "wow" me? Microsoft releasing a major new Windows OS update for phones that a) works on existing hardware (unlike the WM 6 -> WP7 or the WP7 -> WP8 transitions) and b) doesn't involve a whole new API (again, unlike the WM6 -> WP7 or WP7 -> WP8 transitions). That would be amazing. Instead of starting over from scratch and having to spend significant development effort recreating features while alienating their current users and developers and killing whatever momentum they achieved on the previous platform, they could start to focus on iterating and improving the platform and looking toward the future. Amazingly enough, Microsoft just might achieve this lofty goal this time around. If on top of that Microsoft figures out a way to update phones without carrier interference and/or gets carriers on board to update in a timely manner, I think my face will permanently freeze in a goofy grin. ;-)

Yes, I'm being flippant, but honestly, I don't think Microsoft can do anything drastic with Windows 10 on phones that would in any way improve their situation in the near-term. Microsoft is in a distant 3rd place behind two strong and popular platforms, and as much as I like Windows Phone, I don't see that changing much anytime soon. I mean, look at Apple. Apple has achieved great success with their iPhones (and iPods before that), iPads, iTunes, etc., which has had a halo effect on Macs, but after years of success with these devices, Macs are still a minority compared to Windows on the desktop. And the Mac is the second place desktop platform.

In a sense, I do think Windows 10 is a "savior" for Windows Phone, but not necessarily in the way that many here are hoping for. As I already mentioned, I don't think Windows 10 is going to drastically change Windows Phone's near-term fortunes in any way. At best, Microsoft is facing a long slog in mobile. However, Windows 10 is being developed with an eye towards the core running on a wide range of device classes (IoT, Raspberry Pi, Hololens, Xbox One, Tablet/Desktop, etc.), so the incremental cost of developing a phone specific variant is probably small. That lines up with the idea of Universal Apps reducing the cost for developers of making versions of their apps for multiple device types. And if nothing else, it may be worth it to Microsoft to keep producing phone builds as a sort of R&D effort to get patents to keep charging Android licensing fees. And who knows what will happen longer term? I mean, in the mid-1990's what odds would you have given for the future of NeXTSTEP? ;-)

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Let's be realistic here: Of the more than 80% of people who own Android devices how many actually care about those features?

This is an excuse, a big excuse. Think about it this way....they do not care to think about it (like default apps) because it never bothers them. They have the feature working very well. They will never get frustrated by not having it in the first place.

Even if you other OSes out of the picture, as a Windows Phone user, you got to have a choice as simple as this to make user experience more soothing than shell out excuses like security.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
We're not talking about such stuff im talking basically about limitations in the os that are keeping dev away and keeping user complaining about what's available like sending mp3 with WhatsApp
That is actually possible with the file picker APIs, I don't think Whatsapp realised this lol. You can do this using the Whatsapp video optimised app though

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 will be a success if Microsoft gets full featured universal apps for the most popular services and games, at launch. That would have a big impact in changing the perception of the platform.
I hope Microsoft is investing their resources and developers in getting the apps.

Ryzzlle

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I personally think it's the apps that are hitting us hard and Windows 10 won't fix that. If MixRadio goes to Android of IOS, along with Cortana, I'm out.
Then, there's apps that are half done and never get updated again, and ones that just aren't here.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Who's going to be making these universal apps? I doubt very much that the ability to create universal apps will attract Android and iOS developers to the Windows platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss