Is win10 for phones really a savior

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think we need to be cautious about universal apps. Having an app available across phone, PC, and tablet isn't really enough. To the layman user, Android and iOS pretty much already do this with phone and tablet (minus PC obviously). Being"universal" isn't in itself a winning strategy. There has to be a compelling use case for an app on your PC and your phone. It has to serve a purpose on the phone that makes you say "that's handy!". Not just "Oh, I can get Candy Crush on my phone and my PC...great."

That's not enough to make someone want to get a windows phone over the competition.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I think we need to be cautious about universal apps. Having an app available across phone, PC, and tablet isn't really enough. To the layman user, Android and iOS pretty much already do this with phone and tablet (minus PC obviously). Being"universal" isn't in itself a winning strategy. There has to be a compelling use case for an app on your PC and your phone. It has to serve a purpose on the phone that makes you say "that's handy!". Not just "Oh, I can get Candy Crush on my phone and my PC...great."

That's not enough to make someone want to get a windows phone over the competition.

Just having the apps is enough to increase market share because there is no reason to choose Android/iOS over WP.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just having the apps is enough to increase market share because there is no reason to choose Android/iOS over WP.

That's not a compelling enough reason for the 80% of Android users to switch from their invested platform. There needs to be something about "universal apps" that make them compelling. Having the apps isn't enough anymore... we're too far past that gate. Google and Apple are entrenched into the market, getting a foothold now means you need something BETTER - not just the same.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
That's not a compelling enough reason for the 80% of Android users to switch from their invested platform. There needs to be something about "universal apps" that make them compelling. Having the apps isn't enough anymore... we're too far past that gate. Google and Apple are entrenched into the market, getting a foothold now means you need something BETTER - not just the same.

Microsoft don't need all the Android users, 10%-20% of them would be ok.
Besides, there are billions of people without smartphone.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
There has to be a compelling use case for an app on your PC and your phone. It has to serve a purpose on the phone that makes you say "that's handy!". Not just "Oh, I can get Candy Crush on my phone and my PC...great."

You put it so much better that I could have. For many apps, being universal is pointless. I think, though, that for business users, having the same apps available across all devices would be much more attractive. That's the market I believe MSFT is focussing on.

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't even see a reason for apps on PC. Its one thing for tablets,but the way MS is making those one is confusing.

There's apps that would be great to have them on PC and as universal like WhatsApp and other messaging apps this is helpful so u can reply from PC but will the idea itself of getting the app run on phone tablet and PC attract devs?!

iChampion

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I have used WP for 2 years and Microsoft products for 25 years, I hoped that Microsoft would build WP into a great platform and was looking forward to WP10. However after long wait and seeing them drag their feet I gave up! And switched to Android, it was a hard decision to sell my 1520 and 920 and move along. The issue I have is it does not take a company as big as Microsoft to build a nice full featured phone OS. They have been draging along waiting for people to come and build it for them, it they don't stop wasting time and get their act together and get a reason for people to consider using it WP10 will not matter.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Ryzzlle

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
And with the fact that Cortana might go to iOS and Android, along with MixRadio and HERE Maps, there's pretty much no reason to stay with WP.
If devs don't want to make apps for the PHONE right now, why would they want to make it for 3-4 platforms?
Universal apps?
No thanks.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I think if they come out with a really good phone it could be your only computer,With bluetooth key board and a large monitor you could have best of both worlds.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have used WP for 2 years and Microsoft products for 25 years, I hoped that Microsoft would build WP into a great platform and was looking forward to WP10. However after long wait and seeing them drag their feet I gave up! And switched to Android, it was a hard decision to sell my 1520 and 920 and move along. The issue I have is it does not take a company as big as Microsoft to build a nice full featured phone OS. They have been draging along waiting for people to come and build it for them, it they don't stop wasting time and get their act together and get a reason for people to consider using it WP10 will not matter.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

If windows 10 fails, that is what in considering too. I'm surprised at how a big company like Microsoft is not successful with their phone os

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is that Microsoft continues to preach to its own choir. Yes it is delivering features that it should have had for year finally. But as long as the first thing potential buyers see is a cluttered start screen it will continue to not sell and when it doesn't sell then it doesn't get apps. 90%+ of smart phone users have spoken. They do not want tiles. It's cluttered and too busy. That was proven on the W8 for desktop. People want icons, background images and a taskbar (iPhone and android use this strategy). We can still keep live tiles similar to widget but having so many tiles on the screen is not a clean look and not elegant. I need to be able to pin my 5 most useful apps to the taskbar and have just a few icons with two live widgets and background image. Multiple start screens would be great too.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is that Microsoft continues to preach to its own choir. Yes it is delivering features that it should have had for year finally. But as long as the first thing potential buyers see is a cluttered start screen it will continue to not sell and when it doesn't sell then it doesn't get apps. 90%+ of smart phone users have spoken. They do not want tiles. It's cluttered and too busy. That was proven on the W8 for desktop. People want icons, background images and a taskbar (iPhone and android use this strategy). We can still keep live tiles similar to widget but having so many tiles on the screen is not a clean look and not elegant. I need to be able to pin my 5 most useful apps to the taskbar and have just a few icons with two live widgets and background image. Multiple start screens would be great too.

So you wanna an android phone with MS logo on the back? Live tile are the strong point of WP and the hubs, you take that away and put in icons and yeah you get another android phone

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
my post said that I wanted to keep live tiles. I prefer the larger tiles which provide information. I'm just saying adroids start screen is just a cleaner look to me and actually it mimics windows desktop screen.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Lol at these silly threads. How about we just wait to see what happens? If you are dying for these other "amazing" features, then switch to iOS or Android. We won't miss you.

Microsoft owns phone manufacturing. Windows 10 is a strategy that spans across all devices for years to come. They aren't going to dump the OS on phones just because it hasn't gained market share over the past few years. Microsoft will spends years to get what they want.

Apple has been in the PC market for decades. They lost their *** to Windows 95+ and have been at sub 5% market share for nearly 2 decades. But they're still making MacBooks, iMacs, and OSX aren't they? And look, they're starting to turn that market around for themselves now because of their success with iOS.

People just need to chill or GTFO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo