Should Windows 10 and Windows 10 for phones support applock ?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Considering AppLock itself and all others are third party, including Sammys version. I don't think it should be OS integrated. The service would hook and constantly poll app launches. This also goes against the sandbox approach the OS has taken, as malware could use these hooks to launch itself or to monitor user input. As I voiced earlier, this should be fine on an app by app basis, but leave it up to the developer to implement as it would only be a single call at startup to check if pin is enabled and then prompt for it, same goes for notifications. Android is too lax on security when it comes to ipc and app isolation.

Not immediately seeing how an applock would be an obvious security threat. Maybe my idea of an applock is radically different lol.

Adding another XML attribute for an applock is trivial.
Would only take an extra call to determine if an app is locked.
Have a pin code similar to wallet in order to kick app out of suspend/open app.

I think it would be cool to have a little toggle in the corner of suspended apps to have them placed into a locked state.

Even files can be "locked". Let OS govern permissions and release an API similar to the one used for OneDrive/Facebook/Twitter/etc

I don't need applock, but I would not mind having the feature if it is thought out and implemented well

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ It's not a security "threat". It's just not security.

Give me any kids Android phone, that is trying to use an applocker to protect their pron collection from their parents, and in 9 out of 10 cases I'll have access to all of it in under 5 minutes.

It's fake security. What makes it seem like security is only the ignorance of those using it or those failing to bypass it.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Give me any kids Android phone, that is trying to use an applocker to protect their pron collection from their parents, and in 9 out of 10 cases I'll have access to all of it in under 5 minutes.

It's fake security. What makes it seem like security is only the ignorance of those using it or those failing to bypass it.
Rightly said....they promise fake security! Long pressing on the app locker uninstalls the app, in that case no one can say a phone is secure...the best security is obviously common sense...!

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
An app locker that works would be a welcome addition, though feel that Apps/Kids corner does this well enough... but I for one, don't have stuff worth hiding from people (My life is an open book) & being a lazy person don't even use the pin lock unless am going to any crowded places, cause I find it too tedious to type in the pin every single time.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Not sure I follow. Neither Burns nor I were referring to Android in any way lol.

Windows Phone gives users little freedom in modifying system resources.
An "Applock" that can be enabled in settings is feasible, and would have a negligible performance impact.
Could have an action centre toggle that locks everything of concern :)

I personally do not even have a pin on my phone, and would probably never need this feature.
Noticed teenagers in general request this sort of feature :p

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Not sure I follow. Neither Burns nor I were referring to Android in any way lol.

Windows Phone gives users little freedom in modifying system resources.
An "Applock" that can be enabled in settings is feasible, and would have a negligible performance impact.
Could have an action centre toggle that locks everything of concern :)

I personally do not even have a pin on my phone, and would probably never need this feature.
Noticed teenagers in general request this sort of feature :p

Same here...never use the pin lock even.....but implementing it as a optional feature is always a welcome addition...at least it would be able to save those teenagers...lol...feel sorry for them anyway..😂

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Android is the only system I've used an apps locker on, so it's my only frame of reference. I suspect that for most asking for an apps locker, that is no different. It's basically saying: "give me this thing I'm familiar with from using Android".

However, that's not my point. My point is that it's fake security, or at least very brittle security, on any system. Android, iOS or WP. The whole concept is fundamentally flawed. It doesn't exist because it's a good idea, but because that is what the existing APIs on Android allowed devs to make.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here...never use the pin lock even.....but implementing it as a optional feature is always a welcome addition...at least it would be able to save those teenagers...lol...feel sorry for them anyway..😂

All of their social interactivity is done in front of a slab of glass.
Need to feel for the new generation haha

I wonder how if the 635 would sell like hotcakes if there were an "applock".... Oh wait, no selfie cam :pPP

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^ Android is the only system I've used an apps locker on, so it's my only frame of reference. I suspect that for most asking for an apps locker, that is no different. It's basically saying: "give me this thing I'm familiar with from using Android".

However, that's not my point. My point is that it's fake security, or at least very brittle security, on any system. Android, iOS or WP. The whole concept is fundamentally flawed. It doesn't exist because it's a good idea, but because that is what the existing APIs on Android allowed devs to make.

I would want to avoid software that is misusing APIs, but it seems to me that there is popular demand for an app locker on any platform.

App locking actually might be a good selling point since Microsoft is racing to the bottom.

Even for files - Imagine an API similar to OneDrive in the photos app. Can have photos/videos stored with special permission modifiers, encrypted, etc.

Or people with internet could just upload to OneDrive, add pin, delete photos from device XD

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
All of their social interactivity is done in front of a slab of glass.
Need to feel for the new generation haha

I wonder how if the 635 would sell like hotcakes if there were an "applock".... Oh wait, no selfie cam :pPP

Haha...yea...but I rarely use selfie cam...on my L625. Not much of a selfie lover...even if app locker is released it should be for the low tier segment of WP...because those rocking a flagship simply wudnt desire such a feature.. Teenagers will mostly prefer low end and affordable hardware..and it would be best to increase sales in these segment by making that feature available to them...nd MSFT is already paying attention to this segement by releasing affordable hardware...😉

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The main point is many of them need this feature, if MS needs those people to buy WP then they have to give this feature.

No, they don't need it. Some think they do, but they just don't know any better.
If MS adds more security features, they should add something that actually works, not a half baked none-solution that some people think provides security but doesn't. At the very least, it should be something that associates privileges with data, rather than apps.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
No, they don't need it. Some think they do, but they just don't know any better.

Some?? AppLock is one of the most wanted feature in User Voice page. Its not a big security, but its a small personal security. If MS does not add this feature, many will not think about staying on WP even if they want to.
And as posted on top, this is mainly used for teenagers
This feature can be used to pull android users to WP if MS build it in the OS

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Haha...yea...but I rarely use selfie cam...on my L625. Not much of a selfie lover...even if app locker is released it should be for the low tier segment of WP...because those rocking a flagship simply wudnt desire such a feature.. Teenagers will mostly prefer low end and affordable hardware..and it would be best to increase sales in these segment by making that feature available to them...nd MSFT is already paying attention to this segement by releasing affordable hardware...😉
Friend in the US, Lumia 635 is $30 USD. No other phone is this cheap for the hardware!!! Not to mention the quality is pretty decent too

Maybe elsewhere it is expensive, however sales are not great in the US.... Ridiculous

Edit: Was trying to imply what you posted lol

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Some?? AppLock is one of the most wanted feature in User Voice page. Its not a big security, but its a small personal security. If MS does not add this feature, many will not think about staying on WP even if they want to.
And as posted on top, this is mainly used for teenagers
This feature can be used to pull android users to WP if MS build it in the OS
Especially when they have $150 Android hardware for $30, </3 635

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You cant say that, any one can buy any phone! I have a L520 and a L1020! Besides they wont release a feature which low end has and high end phones does not have. And a feature like this won't effect any one who does not use it

Price is a motivator, especially for the average teenager!
Most teenagers work for their mobiles :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Some?? AppLock is one of the most wanted feature in User Voice page.

Want and need are not the same thing. It's a bad solution that many want, like I said, because they don't know better. I'm not against more security options, I'm just against really bad security options like the one you think you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb