04-04-2015 03:47 PM
128 1234 ...
tools
    If MS cancelled all future phone development, what would you do?
    Call the cops and let them know there's a jinx on the loose.
    Avi Anand likes this.
    03-15-2015 07:29 PM
    Cyanogenmod
    03-15-2015 07:38 PM
    Feature Phones.
    WP or Bust.
    EssThree likes this.
    03-15-2015 07:45 PM
    If Windows Phone dies, I'll go to Android.
    03-15-2015 07:48 PM
    WP won't be going away.
    03-15-2015 07:49 PM
    Well, they wont so... I ain't worried about it. Mobile and Win 10 is kind of a big part of their strategy right now.
    03-15-2015 07:49 PM
    Having had an iphone, I would never have another- far far too restrictive. It is your phone, paid for by you, yet you still can't do want you want with it because apple won't let you. That itunes is awkward to use, and expensive. Apple want to charge for everything. Yeah, right. I can put on or remove files, music, pics as I want with drag and drop.
    Someone earlier on this thread said Android was unstable. Crap. My Samsung S3 was brilliant in all the 2 years I had it on contract. Still got it, 9 months after contract expired, only now it is rooted, with Omnirom V5 on it. Still stable, working well and with no unwanted apps on it.
    Rooting and different rom was a personal choice- the S3 was still a great phone with stock rom. 2 years ago, it had features that crapple have only just got on their iphone 6
    03-15-2015 07:54 PM
    I'm not really sure what I would do if they killed phone support
    Trust me... It will not going to happen for a very long time... They invested $8 billion purchasing Nokia mobile business and the Lumia brand. Plus, Windows 10 is going to be much better than 8.1
    03-15-2015 07:56 PM
    I'll play along.

If this scenario occurred at this moment in time and we never get the elusive "flagship", I would finally purchase a 1520 and hope that the phone I receive won't have the "phantom touch" issue. I think that I'd be happy to ride out a 1520 indefinitely. At present with my ATIV S still running WP8 (not even 8.1), it does everything that I need except capture better photos & video - all I want is to get a new Lumia phone with a cutting edge PureView camera.

Worst case scenario, I'd eventually switch to iPhone. No interest in Android.
    EssThree likes this.
    03-15-2015 08:23 PM
    I'm kind of curious. For all the ******* and moaning about MS I do (of which I do a lot haha), Windows is still hands down my preferred OS. I'm not really sure what I would do if they killed phone support, since I find iOS so restrictive and Android's UI so incredibly unfriendly.

What would you folks do? Also feel free to delete this post if someone's already made a thread asking this :)
    BlackBerry Passport!
    fatclue_98 and EssThree like this.
    03-15-2015 08:27 PM
    BlackBerry Passport!
    Which version? The original or the AT&T one?
    03-15-2015 08:32 PM
    Having had an iphone, I would never have another- far far too restrictive. It is your phone, paid for by you, yet you still can't do want you want with it because apple won't let you. That itunes is awkward to use, and expensive. Apple want to charge for everything. Yeah, right. I can put on or remove files, music, pics as I want with drag and drop.
    Someone earlier on this thread said Android was unstable. Crap. My Samsung S3 was brilliant in all the 2 years I had it on contract. Still got it, 9 months after contract expired, only now it is rooted, with Omnirom V5 on it. Still stable, working well and with no unwanted apps on it.
    Rooting and different rom was a personal choice- the S3 was still a great phone with stock rom. 2 years ago, it had features that crapple have only just got on their iphone 6
    At least iTunes is not complete junk. Bought into that Pi Day Xbox Music sale :(
    1 - Rented music (Music pass) is 192Kb/s WMA
    2 - Purchased music is only 320Kb/s MP3
    3 - The app is terrible, worst music solution I have ever used on my PC.
    4 - No way to download playlists

iTunes
    1 - High quality AAC and lossless formats
    2 - Actually has a desktop program that works half decent
    3 - Can download playlists

Windows Media Player 5 (2004) works better!!

Now I know why people did not buy into Zune .. I loved my Zune 120/HD, but I never bought into their subscription model. Now that I am in it, without a decent desktop player, I can see why they flopped... I wish they would just update and rebrand the Zune Player ...

Done with Xbox altogether. I hope W10 is better, because for every Microsoft solution there seems to be an equal/better alternative :(
    03-15-2015 08:37 PM
    Crossing fingers for a T-Mobile variant, if that does not come to pass I would probably opt for an unlocked Canadian one.
    03-15-2015 08:38 PM
    I went with the AT&T version. I like the rounded corners and the bigger chin feels better when typing.
    Yazen likes this.
    03-15-2015 08:40 PM
    I went with the AT&T version. I like the rounded corners and the bigger chin feels better when typing.
    I like the original for the EXACT opposite reasons haha
    AT&T variant does look more like a Blackberry though
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    03-15-2015 08:52 PM
    Flip phone
    03-15-2015 08:57 PM
    Nokia, Ubuntu (OS), ...... Vsenn, any plastic phone no metallic phone! Not sure if the 640 series will hit the shores Down Under? So far there is deafening silence, maybe they have no models that are compatible with the Telcos?
    EssThree likes this.
    03-15-2015 09:00 PM
    When Microsoft gets their crap together, they make a great product but, they also have the large funds to do the proper R&D into the product and have a team of 1000+ working on it to get it right (as most smaller-mid size companies are lucky if they can get 50 people for one project).

They are also known to be in it for the long term, large profits can be made over night but, if you want long term income, you need to make a product that in time, it will be profitable and not just a one time profit.

No matter how much we love Windows Phone, there is still the fact that globally Windows Phone still sits around 2.5% of the market, This is after 4 or 5 years now (the first release of Windows Phone) ? This is not an ideal market for MS to be majorly profitable in, if this trend does continue, the end will come at some point. Look where the iPhone was after 4 years, look at Android after 4 years, Yea, Windows Phone in the numbers game is a major disappointment for Microsoft. It's a nice product but, this is still the truth here. Market share is everything in the mobile market.

The truth is, after Windows 10 comes out, after about a year, if Windows Phone still sits under 2.5% of the global market share, I would almost bet my life, that there would be discussions in very high up meetings about dropping Windows Phone for good or selling it off. Not that it would happen right away but, it would be discussed.

As for me, I'll stick around for a while, Might grab a Android phone to really play with it (and use tap to pay and access Bank of America on...and oh, MLB 2015 and Dish Network stream app) but, over all my heart is with WP and it's success.

If the crap came down and they finally killed it, I would stick around for a while, once the apps stop working and the resources are dried up for it, I would have to weight my options if that time comes, iOS or Android, as both of these OS's 2-3 years from now will be very different than they are today.

RIght now, even though I would hate to enter a google world, I might lean towards Android but, I despise Google more than I do Apple but, hate the iPhone..

Cant really win can I ?

Maybe I'll just grab a flip phone and call it a day...
    03-15-2015 09:03 PM
    ^ They have so many resources and cannot even produce a usable Music app... Foobar anyone? It is coming to WP10 :D
    03-15-2015 09:22 PM
    I'll go Android fully. Having a testing device right now just playing around after a couple of months I got use to it.
    03-15-2015 09:36 PM
    Post of the year

Thank You :P
    03-15-2015 10:02 PM
    Already switched to iOS because they already abandoned the flagship market. I get all MS services on iOS and some of them are better than the windows phone counter part. Plus apps actually get updated...
    03-15-2015 10:12 PM
    Interesting. I'm wondering if Blackberry would be a viable alternative? I know next to nothing about Blackberry since they never really took off here in Brisbane, as far as I'm aware. It seems dead in the water, but they keep releasing hardware...
    Yeah, I think Blackberry would be the best alternative for me. The only BB device I've owned was a Playbook, which I got super-cheap and actually really liked. My experience with it was such that I'd happily go there rather than iOS or Android. I had an Android Walkman that I hated and even if iPhones were good, they are still ridiculously expensive, which leaves BB as the best alternative, I reckon.
    wpn00b and EssThree like this.
    03-15-2015 10:21 PM
    I don't think it is unrealistic to think that if there is no improvement in market share after 2 years of WP10 they would throw in the towel.
    Why? They still sell twice as many phones in a quarter than they sell X-Boxes in a year so if it makes sense to keep selling X-Box, it makes 8 times more sense to keep selling phones, doesn't it? Market share won't matter, as long as they are making money on it and the smartphone market is big enough that they can make good money with a 5% share.
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-15-2015 10:25 PM
    Already switched to iOS because they already abandoned the flagship market. I get all MS services on iOS and some of them are better than the windows phone counter part. Plus apps actually get updated...
    If Microsoft comes out with a flagship this Fall, and it's intriguing enough to entice consumers, will all these developers trip over themselves to get an app out the door that should have been there in the first place? Why aren't they even trying to capture that new segment of the market? Be wherever your customers may go.

Microsoft seems to understand that at least.
    03-15-2015 10:27 PM
128 1234 ...