03-22-2015 09:56 AM
30 12
tools
    Even if swipable, you have to tap the content on the top of the screen which is not thumb friendly.
    Not on Android you don't. You generally don't need to actually click the 3 lines. And Microsoft itself knows how to implement hamburger menus as, for example, their OneDrive app for Android has the hamburger menu but you can open it by swiping from ANYWHERE at the left side of the screen.
    portalfocus likes this.
    03-18-2015 07:22 PM
    Not on Android you don't. You generally don't need to actually click the 3 lines. And Microsoft itself knows how to implement hamburger menus as, for example, their OneDrive app for Android has the hamburger menu but you can open it by swiping from ANYWHERE at the left side of the screen.

You didn't really get what I meant. Yes, you never have to tap the three lines of the hamburger if it is swipable. But, you have to tap the menus, the hamburger contains. For ex. OneDrive app for Windows Phone, you have to tap on the upper left corner to switch to the Business account. This is not thumb friendly, I meant!
    03-20-2015 02:17 AM
    You didn't really get what I meant. Yes, you never have to tap the three lines of the hamburger if it is swipable. But, you have to tap the menus, the hamburger contains. For ex. OneDrive app for Windows Phone, you have to tap on the upper left corner to switch to the Business account. This is not thumb friendly, I meant!
    Ah yes, that you have. But then again, you'll ALWAYS have to do that, regardless of the menu format. Unless you use an endless list of menus side by side. Which is an even worse option.
    The major complain with hamburger menus on WP is that Microsoft is replacing the menu from a place where it's easily accessible - the lower right corner - and putting it on a harder place to reach - the top left corner.
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    03-20-2015 06:41 PM
    This.
    03-22-2015 09:32 AM
    I don't necessarily mind the hamburger menu, though I have come to like pivots and the ellipses menu. My real objection to the hamburger is its asinine placement in the upper left of the screen. For right handed users (they vast majority) the upper left is the furthest point from your thumb and the hardest to reach, especially on larger screen devices. If they're going to really on hamburgers going forward, at least put it in the lower right or upper right where it is easier to access.
    03-22-2015 09:56 AM
30 12