The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Anyone noticed how there are no hamburger buttons in the leaked screenshots here: Even more Windows 10 for phones screenshots leak | Windows Central

Do you think it is possible that Microsoft is finally removing those ugly UI Elements once and for all, specially after the gigantic feedback on uservoice about this?

What do u think?
    03-16-2015 06:55 AM
    I'd welcome this, because the style of apps on other platforms - utilizing the top-bar menu/hamburger menu system - aren't really friendly for large screens.

If it wasn't for edge swiping, it's be as inconveniencing as the back button on iPhones...
    03-16-2015 07:08 AM
    I dont think so, the images you mention are all inside the settings app - why on earth should there be a hamburger button at all?
    Praxius likes this.
    03-16-2015 07:59 AM
    The leaked images have been Photoshopped to remove the hamburgers so people would get excited and happy, only to get kicked right in the nards when they update their phone and they're still there.

MOOOO HOOOO HAW HAW HA HA HA!!!!

But seriously, I'm sure they're still there.
    03-16-2015 08:15 AM
    What do u think?
    I think that what we saw were screen shots of various settings pages. Since none of those pages today have pivots or any other kind of navigation (other than vertical scrolling), the lack of a hamburger menu is meaningless since there's nothing to navigate.

Maybe, if Settings were one giant app, we'd have a hamburger to get back to the main list of settings pages so that we could jump from one to the other. However, in an app that only has two levels (a list page linking to various details pages), the Back button does the same thing.

The thing that many folks are missing in the hamburger debate is that the biggest changes it brings are in the in-app navigational model and the types of apps it's being designed for.

Right now, most mobile apps are two- or three-level deep apps (think of a reddit app with an overview page, a subreddit threads page, and the thread content page). The content (of the overview page) IS the navigation to the subpages. In these types of apps, a hamburger doesn't add much because you can move to another section by pressing the Back key and then tapping another choice -- this is the same thing that you'd do with a hamburger, except that the Back key is placed where your hand is, not at the opposite end of the phone.

I think that Microsoft is trying to pave the way for more complex touch-enabled apps for which content-driven navigation or serial access (i.e., down one level, back on level, down another level, back, etc.) might not be appropriate. Such apps already exist (the Windows Central app is really a combo of a news reader app and a forum participation app), but they are more the exception than the norm. The release of a touch-enabled version of Office may help drive the complex app movement forward.

(Interestingly, the industry does appear to be fighting against moving toward complex apps: look at Facebook splitting out its messaging service or Foursquare splitting into two apps for examples of apps dividing to remain focused on a single function. An app that I'm responsible for has a lot of different sections and our users have told us that they prefer that we keep them all together rather than creating multiple apps; this speaks for Microsoft's "complex apps" idea and against the Facebook/Foursquare multi/simple-app idea.)

Since users crave consistency (even when they think the opposite), the question is, can one navigational model effectively support both simple and complex apps in various form factors from phone to desktop? If not, what is the less damaging compensation: a slight loss of efficiency by using one model for app or maintaining two navigational models (i.e., hamburgers for complex apps and old-style for simpler apps)?

Sadly, I don't have any research or answers, but I think that making users reach far to get to an essential control is a bad move.

Although it doesn't address the overall desirability of hamburgers, maybe there's a way to make it easier to "reach" the hamburger menu to navigate in apps. Consider the idea of making a long-press of the Back key become an "show app's main nav" function. For hamburger-based apps, it would be just like tapping the icon at the top left, but without the reach. For non-hamburger apps, it would be a go to main page of app" function. (The Back key is about app navigation.)

If this idea were implemented, the task switcher functionality that's currently on the long-press of Back would need to move somewhere else -- I'd propose that it be invoked with a long-press of the Windows key. (The Windows key is sort of about tasks.) There is precedent for moving such a function since the voice search feature moved from the Windows key to the Search key.
    Last edited by manicottiK; 03-17-2015 at 06:03 AM.
    03-17-2015 05:45 AM